Migrants Re-located to Paphos

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
sued51

Migrants Re-located to Paphos

Post by sued51 »

Let’s hope it’s not a re-run of recent events in Chloraka

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/unaccom ... famagusta/
galexinda

Re: Migrants Re-located to Paphos

Post by galexinda »

More accurately, in the article it refers to unaccompanied minors:

'In a new twist to the imminent transfer of 150 unaccompanied minors from Pournara migrant reception centre to Famagusta the owner of the accommodation initially chosen unexpectedly retracted his offer on Tuesday.
However, the government has taken prompt action and the minors will be relocated to another facility in coastal Paphos after securing the okay of the town’s mayor as well'.
staffie

Post by staffie »

yes this relates to an on going article in the cyprus mail, (over crowded refugee centers) you only need to read the comments after all the ads on cyprus mail, call me what you like, but obviously they are not wanted in the Famagusta area by the mayor to infringe on the tourist trade, so now a another 150 minors (18-22 years) Mouching around with nothing else to do, glad we moved from paphos area cos we had migrants near us (30 + in a block and extras which jumped out of windows cos they shouldn't be there after police were called cos of problems) if any one on here remembers, and again don't call me racist, hope they move them near you then be the judge yourself.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I wonder there are any disused army camps? Somewhere away from a village or town, with a clearly defined boundary fence? We certainly don't want them in the Chloraka area, after the recent troubles. They also will need to be supervised and given something worthwhile to do that occupies them and uses their abundant energy.
I'm not being racist here, but surely local residents safety must also be safeguarded?

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:02 pm I wonder there are any disused army camps? Somewhere away from a village or town, with a clearly defined boundary fence? We certainly don't want them in the Chloraka area, after the recent troubles. They also will need to be supervised and given something worthwhile to do that occupies them and uses their abundant energy.
I'm not being racist here, but surely local residents safety must also be safeguarded?

Dee
I think the last thing they would want, is to be living next door to you? :lol:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

staffie wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:49 pm yes this relates to an on going article in the cyprus mail, (over crowded refugee centers) you only need to read the comments after all the ads on cyprus mail, call me what you like, but obviously they are not wanted in the Famagusta area by the mayor to infringe on the tourist trade, so now a another 150 minors (18-22 years) Mouching around with nothing else to do, glad we moved from paphos area cos we had migrants near us (30 + in a block and extras which jumped out of windows cos they shouldn't be there after police were called cos of problems) if any one on here remembers, and again don't call me racist, hope they move them near you then be the judge yourself.
Where did you get the age 18-22 years from? Please provide a citation as that figure seems wrong to me. Surely an unaccompanied minor must be under 18 at the very least. That is how the phrase is interpreted in the airline industry, for instance.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
staffie

Post by staffie »

I think if next time you pass, certain people have a good hard look and think, how did that under 18 year old or less managed to pay people smugglers. I have spoken (kindly) to many in the past with the problems an none were even under 20.
This is been has been going on in the uk for some time saying they miner's with full length beards, as a already said, and in previous topics when you get these problems the only escape is move, like we had to do.
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

staffie wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:49 pm yes this relates to an on going article in the cyprus mail, (over crowded refugee centers) you only need to read the comments after all the ads on cyprus mail, call me what you like, but obviously they are not wanted in the Famagusta area by the mayor to infringe on the tourist trade, so now a another 150 minors (18-22 years) Mouching around with nothing else to do, glad we moved from paphos area cos we had migrants near us (30 + in a block and extras which jumped out of windows cos they shouldn't be there after police were called cos of problems) if any one on here remembers, and again don't call me racist, hope they move them near you then be the judge yourself.
So what was the problem? You neglected to say.
staffie

Post by staffie »

wantoosoon wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:43 pm
So what was the problem? You neglected to say.
enough problems to warrant moving, don't want to waste any more time on the subject.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

'...the law stipulates that officially registered asylum seekers can stay wherever they wish and move around freely'.

Appreciate that the main theme of the article is addressing another topic but concerned at some of the comments about where this particular category of people can live.

As far as I am concerned, we incomers/immigrants/foreigners are all in the same boat - if we are living here legally then we have all had to satisfy the criteria of the Immigration Department in order to take up residence.

However, that is where the similarity ends because whereas most of us are fortunate to be able to choose where we live and how we fund our lifestyle there are those that in order to continue to meet the requirements of their individual immigration status are limited as to what type of employment they can seek.

Here is the link, but please bear in mind that I am only addressing the one point - ie 'officially registered asylum seekers can stay wherever they wish and move around freely'.

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/some-40 ... nemployed/
WHL

Post by WHL »

I think the colour of peoples skin, plays a big part on whether,
some of us want them next door to us or not
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

staffie wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:40 pm I think if next time you pass, certain people have a good hard look and think, how did that under 18 year old or less managed to pay people smugglers. I have spoken (kindly) to many in the past with the problems an none were even under 20.
This is been has been going on in the uk for some time saying they miner's with full length beards, as a already said, and in previous topics when you get these problems the only escape is move, like we had to do.
So you pulled it out of your hat then. Don't make up statistics if you don't have any actual evidence to back them up. It weakens your argument.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

As galexinda said the big problem refugees have is the system actively prevents them from finding work. This is quite frankly bizarre, when we have a tourism business model currently crying out for workers. And they should be paid a proper wage, too. Otherwise they will just be taking jobs from the indiginous population.
staffie

Post by staffie »

Dominic wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:18 am
staffie wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:40 pm I think if next time you pass, certain people have a good hard look and think, how did that under 18 year old or less managed to pay people smugglers. I have spoken (kindly) to many in the past with the problems an none were even under 20.
So you pulled it out of your hat then. Don't make up statistics if you don't have any actual evidence to back them up. It weakens your argument.
no need, been in situations, hope others don't have the situation near their residence, only best thing for us was to move house, which is not cheap.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Having lived in Chloraka (not near the apartment block that is in the news) for some 8 years in an area with many apartment complexes we became used to the influx of mostly Syrians and more recently Africans, along with other nationalities. Many Syrian families have settled down and become part of the community as have those men who have found employment in places such as the local petrol stations. So, yes, integration is possible - just needs some give and take on all sides. Always happy to help people find work - after all I wouldn't be living in Cyprus now if I hadn't been offered a job in Paphos all those years ago!
staffie

Post by staffie »

https://cyprus-mail.com/2022/03/24/peop ... -pournara/

looks like more on the way to paphos cos eastern side mayor's don't want camps, in the article double the amount cross green line in first two an half months of this year, double what's in refugee camp, where is paphos gonna put em all. time to sell an move to another country if you dislike certain nationals.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The sooner you leave the better.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I think that these refugees/asylum seekers/ unaccompanied minors, should be spread out in different villages all over the island. Not dumped en masse as the previous ones were in Chloraka. Too many of them crowded together, form a ghetto where they tend not to mix with the local community.
The Govt have said that they are trying to speed up the processing of their immigration documents. But at present this is a slow and laborious task. The idea is to sift out genuine candidates, and to speed up the departure of those people who for various reasons have had their applications refused.
The problem was that they haven't yet found a way to speed up this process! And for returning the unsuccessful ones to their home countries.
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:21 pm I think that these refugees/asylum seekers/ unaccompanied minors, should be spread out in different villages all over the island. Not dumped en masse as the previous ones were in Chloraka. Too many of them crowded together, form a ghetto where they tend not to mix with the local community.
The Govt have said that they are trying to speed up the processing of their immigration documents. But at present this is a slow and laborious task. The idea is to sift out genuine candidates, and to speed up the departure of those people who for various reasons have had their applications refused.
The problem was that they haven't yet found a way to speed up this process! And for returning the unsuccessful ones to their home countries.
Dee
You mean exactly just like British expats?, the irony is just too much :lol: :lol: :lol: