Geroskipou Bypass Is Open - film!

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Geroskipou Bypass Is Open - film!

Post by Dominic »

Geroskipou Bypass is now open to traffic. It has yet to have an official opening, and they are still doing some associated work on the area, but it is now possible to drive across the new bridge into the industrial area, as our film shows. At the very least the new road will open up the Industrial Area for easier access. It will also make a lot of the undeveloped land there more attractive to investors.

Read the article and chat about it below...
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Beechwood

Re: Geroskipou Bypass Is Open - film!

Post by Beechwood »

Great news. Thanks for posting
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

We drove down there this morning and it's very impressive.
The only thing which left me confused is that there's no right turn into Paphos Mall which means drivers have to go over the bridge down to the roundabout and do a U Turn back to the Mall entrance.
The Mall is presently being refurbished as discussed on another post.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jim B wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:24 pm We drove down there this morning and it's very impressive.
The only thing which left me confused is that there's no right turn into Paphos Mall which means drivers have to go over the bridge down to the roundabout and do a U Turn back to the Mall entrance.
The Mall is presently being refurbished as discussed on another post.
I guess when they started building the bypass there were no plans to do up the Mall. They've been building it for a while now!
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Not sure it’s much of a bypass as it comes out in the centre square or just up from there and probably takes the same amount of time, if not quicker, to go the traditional route. However it was always really about access to and from the industrial area which will take lorries and bigger vehicles off the traditional route so a good thing. I think there may be snarl ups when the Mall is open and definitely when McDonalds drive through is busy. It’s a shame the architects didn’t consider a duel road in as well.

Thanks for the film!

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Definitely handy for me for serving at Unicars and a cut though to the car park I use when going for my haircuts.

On a completely different front, on Dominic’s video, there a right turn at about 1:30 which takes you to a road, which was part of one of the diversions at one stage, where a house was built recently. It’s one of the most distinctive houses you’ll see as all of the roof tiles are, what I can only describe as Quality Street Purple.

Anybody else seen this? I don’t know if it has any cultural or religious significance, or if they just like purple, but I’ve never seen anything like it.

Ian
brengreen

Post by brengreen »

Cant help with the significance of it but it shows up clearly on Google Earth.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

PolemIan wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:31 am Definitely handy for me for serving at Unicars and a cut though to the car park I use when going for my haircuts.

On a completely different front, on Dominic’s video, there a right turn at about 1:30 which takes you to a road, which was part of one of the diversions at one stage, where a house was built recently. It’s one of the most distinctive houses you’ll see as all of the roof tiles are, what I can only describe as Quality Street Purple.

Anybody else seen this? I don’t know if it has any cultural or religious significance, or if they just like purple, but I’ve never seen anything like it.

Ian
In Kazakhstan they have their roofs all colours of the rainbow and light blue which is the colour of their national flag is a favourite.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

The bypass wasn’t working very well on Saturday morning as the queue for the McDonalds drive-through had blocked it. Perhaps the double lane would have been better entering the by pass instead of coming out towards town.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It surprised me that there is an Exit from McDonalds onto the bypass at the same gateway as the entrance ???
Trev..
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The Aquila wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:17 pm The bypass wasn’t working very well on Saturday morning as the queue for the McDonalds drive-through had blocked it. Perhaps the double lane would have been better entering the by pass instead of coming out towards town.
The strange thing is it was a dual carriage way with two lanes each way prior to the new road changes, I don't understand why they went to all the trouble of reducing the road to single lanes.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:19 pm It surprised me that there is an Exit from McDonalds onto the bypass at the same gateway as the entrance ???
That’s how it’s been since opening Trev. They’ll need to do something with that now. It’s also a right pain to come out of McDonalds and get back up towards the motorway now.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

In fact as it stands right now, it's probably less frustrating to approach from the Gereskipou direction if you were going to the Paphos Mall... As you say, the new roads layout of the road should have incorporated proper access and exit from both the Paphos Mall and Macdonalds.
Since both buildings have been there for a number of years previously.

But, the same mess was created when Lidl on ToTK Rd was built. That can only be entered from the Peyia direction going towards town. So a lot of traffic going there from Paphos must carry on and turn at the next roundabout. While traffic coming out of Lidl doesn't even have a convenient roundabout to use which is close to Lidl if they wish to return towards Peyia or Coral Bay and villages in between. So this isn't a new problem...
Dee
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Just sat and watched chaos following the Pafos football match. The car queue is outside the entrance into McDonalds and right across the traffic lights causing a log jam both ways down the main road. Crazy that this was not a dual road.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You lot like a good moan. :lol: