Battery Chickens coming home to roost

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
trevnhil

Re: Battery Chickens coming home to roost

Post by trevnhil »

I would agree with you there Mr Mouse.. And if you live in a block of flats then it is nigh on impossible to charge the batteries of a car..
Trev..
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:41 am
Lincoln wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:30 am Surely the answer is HYBRID rather than full electric motors. The best of both worlds.
But then a so called plug-in (PHEV) electric hybrid car, that you are able to charge it at home p.e. with your own electricity produced from PV.

(first one in Green Air's fleet, summer 2019)

Max
Hybrid cars charge themselfs while driving. I hired one for five weeks and the batteries were always full. In that five weeks we only put petrol in once.
All things are possible
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

That is good information to know Lincoln, thankyou.
Trev..
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Lincoln wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:39 pm
cyprusmax47 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:41 am
Lincoln wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:30 am Surely the answer is HYBRID rather than full electric motors. The best of both worlds.
But then a so called plug-in (PHEV) electric hybrid car, that you are able to charge it at home p.e. with your own electricity produced from PV.

(first one in Green Air's fleet, summer 2019)

Max
Hybrid cars charge themselfs while driving. I hired one for five weeks and the batteries were always full. In that five weeks we only put petrol in once.
There are various types of hybrid cars.... nice explained on that link:
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a ... ybrid-car/

Max
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:58 pm That is good information to know Lincoln, thankyou.
If you want information on the hybrids or to ask me any questions, I have 14 years experience of them of two different makes. If you think of buying one, please ask. They are good, yes, very good but they also have their little quirks. Also, think of the long-term problems that may arise, especially the availability of liquid fuel at a reasonable price. That having been said, I am pro-hybrid with small reservations. I no longer drive for reasons of age.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Devil, do you not feel able to put the small reservations you have onto the forum for us all to peruse?
Trev..
Beechwood

Post by Beechwood »

I bought a Toyota Yaris hybrid new back in September. I would estimate it spends about 40% of driving time in electric mode and as a result fuel consumption averages around 62 mpg.

It is a self charging hybrid so I view time in electric mode as free motoring!

I find it a very smooth and entertaining car to drive and am delighted with it.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Like Devil once had I have a Lexus. A 300h but did not buy it because of the hybrid function, just fancied the car & Toyotas reputation for reliability & after 4 years so far so good

It is not a plug in hybrid so miles on battery power are quite limited & only then activate at city/town speeds. Having said that fuel consumption has reduced dramatically since the jag

I like the lane assist, the front & rear park assist & the rear parking camera plus some others. I'm sure all modern cars are similar but some menu features can be a bit confusing especially to an older person

Perhaps one day self driving cars will become the norm so I will not have to consider a mobility scooter
daveg

Post by daveg »

I enquired about buying a new Hybrid 18 months ago, the salesman told me that as I only do around 1000kms a month ,the extra cost of a hybrid just wasn't economical.....
So I bought the traditional petrol model.......
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Probably a good decision Dave as petrol will be available for a while. It may not apply to Cyprus but my jag road tax ended at £570 pa because of high emissions. The Lexus is £140pa
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Well, the Green Air plug-in (PHEV) is 10 Euro per year road tax....a normal petrol one this size would be ca 400 Euro!

Max
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

An interesting reply Max but get the impression we are not quite there yet looking at Green Air web site. As a matter of interest what vehicle do you drive?
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

jagwheels wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:59 pm An interesting reply Max but get the impression we are not quite there yet looking at Green Air web site. As a matter of interest what vehicle do you drive?
I don't understand what you mean: "... get the impression we are not quite there yet looking at Green Air web site"....

However I had the idea years ago that Green Air should go more green, not only selling "green" products, but also go ahead what the future will be: much more electric for heating and mobility in order to sell more PV installations where people produce their own electricity and avoid high electricity bills beside doing something for reducing CO2 emissions and their costs. So a e-car would go in that direction.

As we are far behind concerning charging points in Cyprus it had to be a plug-in PHEV which you can charge also at home p.e. with your PV modules on the roof but on the other hand you don't have to worry about your main car battery will be empty as the car is also able to charge them while driving.
I am still RES consultant for Green Air and 2019, after 10 years working successful together, I was allowed to drive that car as a thank you...
(By the way, I am not responsible for Green Air web design or Facebook updates!)

Max