If Covid Doesn't Get You...............

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
alewfin1

If Covid Doesn't Get You...............

Post by alewfin1 »

It is understood that the UK Government are preparing plans to introduce a mandatory requirement to hold a licence to buy or use a stepladder because of the increasing number of household accidents taking up valuable bed space and attention in A&E in hard pressed hospitals trying to cope with Covid.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-59854919
Firefly

Re: If Covid Doesn't Get You...............

Post by Firefly »

OK so we'll all wrap up in cotton wool, let our homes fall down around our ears, ban all play equipment, tools, knives, (spoons only) sell the car, although who would buy it I know not, (very dangerous).

Actually breathing's probably dangerous too ! :lol: :lol:
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Les Bean wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:59 pm I think the op was intended as a joke. There is nothing in the article about licensing, merely recounting the increased number of hospital admissions due DIY etc accidents
Another case of people not reading the article before posting. :lol:
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I read the article and I thought that parts of it were hilarious. But some builders tools are potentially dangerous in the hands of an unskilled and/or careless person. But as long as many dangerous tools, saws, especially electrically operated ones,drills, hammers etc are freely available in D-IY stores, almost inevitably there will be some accidents.
Some of the other causes of accidents were unbelievable.. adults using children's play equipment, or doing stupid things. Well, people must be responsible for looking after themselves. When they grow up!
Dee
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

What's most shocking is the number of dog attacks. Dog ownership is the thing I'd license.
darrow

Post by darrow »

wantoosoon wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:31 pm What's most shocking is the number of dog attacks. Dog ownership is the thing I'd license.
Well dogs are supposed to be licensed I pay for mine every year The irresponsible owners who don't license are probably the ones who don't train their dogs either .Like everything, very few laws are clamped down on.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, Darrow I agree with much you wrote. It never fails to annoy me when I see houses where a large dog, German Shepherd, Rottweiler etc is confined to a kennel enclosure or who runs aimlessly up and down a small fenced yard. These dogs are never walked, spend most of the time by themselves and have had no proper training. Why do people buy a dog if they have no interest in the animal or its welfare? I asked one owner of a Young German Shepherd if he took his dog out for exercise? No, they said he is too strong and it frightens people. Why didn't they install a burglar alarm and cameras instead of getting an animal? Will they eventually tire of the dog and what will happen to it then hardly bears thinking about.
Unfortunately, the raft of dog protection laws ( or laws concerning welfare of animal are very seldom enforced).
Dee