Husband reportedly kills wife to relieve her from pain

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Husband reportedly kills wife to relieve her from pain

Post by memory man »

A 75-year-old British, permanent resident of Cyprus was found dead in her home in Tremithousa village. Her husband was found unconscious and was transferred to the Paphos Hospital. The authorities are investigating whether it is a crime with the husband as the culprit.

This follows a tip that the husband had contacted a relative in Britain saying that he was thinking of killing both his wife and himself so that his wife would no longer suffer due to an illness.

A coroner was called on the scene and the post mortem will be carried out tomorrow.

According to information, the husband said on his way to the hospital that he had strangled his wife so that she would no longer suffer from her illness.

The Police are waiting that his health condition improves before interrogating him.

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/husband ... from-pain/
Jimgym

Re: Husband reportedly kills wife to relieve her from pain

Post by Jimgym »

Such a tragic story.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The kind of tale you wish would never be publicised, so that the police could just quietly forget about it, once they had ensured that the wife was actually ill etc.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Sad news indeed.

I agree with a Dominic on this and hope the man is not charged. He’ll already have his own life sentence and mixed emotions to deal with.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I sympathise with the poor man who has been constrained to this end. Behind this tragedy is a common problem. He had the courage to do the unthinkable; if time would force me into his position would I have the courage to take the life of my wife, my helpmate for 63 years? I don't think so, no matter our mutual suffering. Personally, this tragedy is apposite because Margaret is already in a fairly advanced stage of dementia. Don't think that I haven't pondered every aspect of this problem, knowing it's only going to get worse. There is no answer!
JimX

Post by JimX »

I live in the village but have no idea who this unfortunate and sad pair are, I hope he also recovers from this awful period in their lives.
Jim.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Im sure the law will be lenient with this man, so sad.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

I hope the law will be lenient, so very very very sad.
Louise :)
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

There is a good case that the legal right to elect to have euthanasia be given to a person with a serious and irreversible terminal disease should become legal.. He or she should have the right to request this. Providing that a lawyer can draw up a legal document on the instructions of the person concerned who being of sound mind can ask for the right to have Euthanasia themself n certain serious medical conditions . This should be conditional on two doctors agreeing and ready to support and sign such a request.

We have kept various domestic animals, some of them much loved pets. Where animals are concerned, from time to time we have had to ask our vet's advice when an animals condition deteriorates to cause it unnecessary pain and suffering, and where all veterinary remedies have failed. Eventually we have all agreed that euthanasia is the best course of action for that animal. However, painful the decision was for us to have to make..
It seems reasonable that the human patient should have a legal right to ask for this in certain circumstances.
Dee
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

I agree totally with the comments regarding ending the pain and suffering for a loved one – But struggle to get my head around his wife of many years agreeing to be strangled – That seems an extremely harsh way to end the life of someone you have been with for so long – Why did he not give her the pills and alcohol?
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

71 Trans Am wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:02 pm I agree totally with the comments regarding ending the pain and suffering for a loved one – But struggle to get my head around his wife of many years agreeing to be strangled – That seems an extremely harsh way to end the life of someone you have been with for so long – Why did he not give her the pills and alcohol?
Various earlier reports mentioned strangulation as the cause of death but it was later
updated after it was determined that she was asphyxiated.

Steve
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

To paraphrase Stephen King, pills and alcohol are a flexible bullet. You would have no guarantee of success and if unsuccessful your loved one might wake up in even more pain.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cactus

Post by cactus »

Having discussed this awful event with several people the thing I find saddest of all is that nobody, even locally to them, seems to know this couple. Their situation is, of course, painfully sad but to think that they hadn't any contact with friends and neighbours whilst going through all this is unthinkable. Really it's not surprising that the gentleman in question took the decision to bring an end to it. I hope this will be taken into consideration when his fate is decided, and I, for one, will try to be more aware of my neighbours, and whether or not I have seen them for a while.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

cactus wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:42 am Having discussed this awful event with several people the thing I find saddest of all is that nobody, even locally to them, seems to know this couple. Their situation is, of course, painfully sad but to think that they hadn't any contact with friends and neighbours whilst going through all this is unthinkable. Really it's not surprising that the gentleman in question took the decision to bring an end to it. I hope this will be taken into consideration when his fate is decided, and I, for one, will try to be more aware of my neighbours, and whether or not I have seen them for a while.
Yes we have lived in the village for over 12 years,live near to them and have never heard of them or seen them.What a tragic situation to live into your seventies and then this happening.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Wouldn´t it be better if Cyprus made assisted suicide legal and provided drugs like e.g. pentobarbital (that´s what Dignitas in Switzerland is using) for that purpose. Being strangled isn´t the kind of help I´d want for myself.
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:27 pm Wouldn´t it be better if Cyprus made assisted suicide legal and provided drugs like e.g. pentobarbital (that´s what Dignitas in Switzerland is using) for that purpose. Being strangled isn´t the kind of help I´d want for myself.
You have to stop thinking like a north european, and learn a bit of the Cypriot customs/ traditions/ history,
Cypriots are on the whole very religious , and the Orthodox church is a Billion miles away from supporting suicide,
in fact it is probably one of its biggest sins, so it aint going to happen in any of our life times.
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

Such a sad and difficult topic to grapple with and have many conflicting thoughts on this one.

As a Catholic, taking your own life (or getting assistance) goes against the church. That said
i've lost a relative recently where their quality of life had been reduced to such a point where
you do consider all alternatives regardless of religion.

However, late last year I lost my young niece, she fought for every day when there was little hope
and that added different thoughts.

I couldn't judge anyone for the decisions they take in such circumstances but can see issues regardless
of what the "law" determines to be acceptable.

Cheers

Steve
jeba

Post by jeba »

WHL wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:45 pm You have to stop thinking like a north european, and learn a bit of the Cypriot customs/ traditions/ history,
Cypriots are on the whole very religious , and the Orthodox church is a Billion miles away from supporting suicide,
in fact it is probably one of its biggest sins, so it aint going to happen in any of our life times.
As Cyprus is a member of the EU, I doubt that the Cypriot ban on suicide and assistance in suicide would stand the test of being challenged in the EU court of human rights. I fully agree with the German constitutional court that the right to decide to end your life is a basic human right. What churches think about the issue is irrelevant - and it should be for those who aren´t religious.
This Cypriot ban was the reason my mother chose to return to Germany when she was terminally ill. She shouldn´t have been forced to do that.