Seaweed on sea front

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: Seaweed on sea front

Post by cyprusmax47 »

lotus wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:47 am Mind you if the Cypriot boat steers men are anything like the car and truck drivers on the roads can you imagine the shipwrecks with them hitting the reefs ,good idea tho in theory
Well, at Yeroskipou the breakwater blocks are 30 meters apart. Similar to the entrance of Latchi harbour, where it was never a problem there to enter the port. (I was on board of small boats many times also in rough conditions, many years ago)

Max
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

There are plenty of benches along the front to sit on as it is and building a sea wall isn't cheap, unless done properly it wouldn't last five minutes.
What does a bit of seaweed or sea water on the prom matter, it's not an everyday occurrence is it, they would have to build a 4 metre high wall to stop it?
lotus

Post by lotus »

That's what I said earlier about a high wall,but surely a low wall would at least help,and don't forget the safety angle as well,it's a long drop and heaven help anybody falling off the prom onto the rocks or into the sea
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

A half metre wall isn't going to stop anybody falling in.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
lotus

Post by lotus »

No but at least it's some form of barrier to stop people going to the edge,especially young children
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, there are several of us on here who are in favour of the wall. Lotus made some pertinent suggestions about its construction. I agree that stone or stone faced ( which is cheaper) walls look very attractive. I can't agree that people all find stone walls unattractive.
Also a harbour wall is an important safety feature when children are visiting the harbour, provides a place to sit, as well as its primary function of deflecting the rocks and seaweed which are deposited on the harbourside during every storm..
We all put up with lots of unattractive things without comment. How about roofs cluttered with water tanks standing up on most roofs, solar or photovoltaic panels, tv and other aerials, old satellite dishes etc. Not exactly attractive, but we are all used to seeing them.. so why such a fuss about a low wall?
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:28 pm Yes, there are several of us on here who are in favour of the wall. Lotus made some pertinent suggestions about its construction. I agree that stone or stone faced ( which is cheaper) walls look very attractive. I can't agree that people all find stone walls unattractive.
Also a harbour wall is an important safety feature when children are visiting the harbour, provides a place to sit, as well as its primary function of deflecting the rocks and seaweed which are deposited on the harbourside during every storm..
We all put up with lots of unattractive things without comment. How about roofs cluttered with water tanks standing up on most roofs, solar or photovoltaic panels, tv and other aerials, old satellite dishes etc. Not exactly attractive, but we are all used to seeing them.. so why such a fuss about a low wall?
Dee
Could you please tell us, where else you would suggest, people put these things, if not on a ROOF, cant wait to hear the answer, cheers.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Jim B wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:49 am There are plenty of benches along the front to sit on as it is and building a sea wall isn't cheap, unless done properly it wouldn't last five minutes.
What does a bit of seaweed or sea water on the prom matter, it's not an everyday occurrence is it, they would have to build a 4 metre high wall to stop it?
Exactly Jim.

I also never heard of anyone falling in as some have said.

It would also have to funded so I’ll propose that the Mayor imposes a “moaning tax” on the expats that are so desparate to have a wall.
lotus

Post by lotus »

Christ ,nobody is actually moaning about the lack of a sea wall,just putting out ideas which some of us think it's a good idea,seems to be the anti wall brigade should have a moaning tax slapped on them,at the end of the day this forum is supposedly a place where people can air their views wether right or wrong
WHL

Post by WHL »

The Aquila wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:37 pm
Jim B wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:49 am There are plenty of benches along the front to sit on as it is and building a sea wall isn't cheap, unless done properly it wouldn't last five minutes.
Exactly Jim.

I also never heard of anyone falling in as some have said.

It would also have to funded so I’ll propose that the Mayor imposes a “moaning tax” on the expats that are so desparate to have a wall.
That wall could be funded by just one particular member on here. :lol:
lotus

Post by lotus »

Very funny WHL on the other hand you could build a wall round Cyprus 😉😂
WHL

Post by WHL »

lotus wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:32 pm Very funny WHL on the other hand you could build a wall round Cyprus 😉😂
Your probably correct, I do post a lot about the moaners on here, but hey someone has too. :lol:
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I really don't understand the logic of people being "Moaners" because they approve of something but there you go.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

He means that you don't agree with him.

The alternative is that you are moaning because they won't build a wall, and thereby give you something to moan about. That would be next level moaning.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

I can remember when there was a wall all along the front. I DID stop the all the rocks and seaweed coming on to the promenade and road. It was also a very good safety feature as lots of very young children would run along the prom.
All things are possible
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Lincoln wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:51 pm I can remember when there was a wall all along the front. I DID stop the all the rocks and seaweed coming on to the promenade and road. It was also a very good safety feature as lots of very young children would run along the prom.
Was it the two lanes of traffic that made it safer I wonder.
Going back thirty years, there was always rocks, seawater and seaweed all over the road after a storm, nothing new.
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Could there be a middle ground?

Whilst living in Paphos (and surrounding area) we noticed stonemasonry displayed in many places, of the highest quality and skill. Very much like we grew up with in Scotland. . . . .albeit constructed with different stone.

I would love to see that Craftmanship at the harbour. . . . . .alongside little gaps and breaks inbetween. A wee seat to enjoy the view, and okay a crapload of seaweed now and again but, who wants everything to be perfect all the time?

We absolutely must have something left in this life to moan about it. It's a given. 😁

Maggie B
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Hello Maggie.
There are benches and seats right along the front for people to sit on plus sections of the original sea wall still runs from the Fishing Shelter round to the Customs House.
You are right I suppose, if people didn't have this to moan about they'd find something else.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I think that the word 'moan' is bring misused on here.
It is used by a small minority of members who apply the word to anything and anyone who happens to have a different view point to theirs..
Surely the point of a forum like this one, should be that people should be able to express their opinions and make constructive suggestions without being denigrated for this.

Dee
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dee
There's making a point and going on and on about something, then it becomes moaning.
If you believe the front in Pahos needs a sea wall to prevent a storm surge then write to the Mayor or raise a petition. It appears those in power believe one isn't necessary for the very, very occasion a surge occurs.