Fire In The Hills.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
trevnhil

Fire In The Hills.

Post by trevnhil »

There seems to be a fire up in the hills this morning between Polemi and Ayios Demetrianos. It is quite breezy up here as well
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Fire In The Hills.

Post by Dominic »

I'm just uploading a film of it. It is pretty bad. There are also a couple of small ones between Polemi and Giolou, and one beyond Kathikas.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

There’s another one just started in Akoursos area and a smaller one in Tala too!
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

And all on a hunting day. What a coincidence.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Another sunday brings another set of fires in the tinder-dry countryside of Paphos. Not only that, but a wind is blowing today making matters worse.

I filmed this on the hill opposite Agios Dimitrianos. It is still raging away, though hopefully more emergency services are on the scene now.

The Authorities need to act now to stop this.

daveg

Post by daveg »

Re the Akoursos fire...we reported a minor fire in an area last night that was close too today's bigger fire..
Hunters?...
Fire still burning well, services attending...
Lucie

Post by Lucie »

Many fires still raging around Stroumbi now. Looks horrifying.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yes, we saw one on the other side of the hill from the petrol station while we drove back to Polemi about 20 minutes ago.

This was the second film we recorded, when a fire engine showed up.

PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Looking west from Polemi there are still lights of emergency services vehicles on the top of the hill beyond Stroumbi, Akoursos I think. The final flames visible to us in Psathi went out only about an hour ago. Meanwhile closer to home in Polemi, the one behind us got to within about 40m of a neighbours house, drew quite a crown including people creating breaks with tractors, cars being evacuated and use of quad bikes to get near to find a way though for the fire trucks, screams from the homeowners over the phone asking for help clearly heard. Not a nice day.

I know there are many schools of thought on this, but the sooner someone realises having people strolling though tinder dry land is a bad idea, the better. Deliberate or accidental, the link between fires on a day like this and hunting is a clear as a clear thing. A patrol guy from EAC spoke to my wife and said the one in Polemi said this was the 10th one he’d been to today!

Time for some lateral thinking - like abandoning normal hunting dates and replaced with something driven by ground moisture levels, or something like that, so that people can still hunt but with a lower risk a creating Dante like scenes. People have already died this year.

Ian
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Perhaps this time it is not the hunters to blame: reading the poor translation of an article in PaphosPress, I would come to another conclusion....
By the way there were obviously 11 different fires in Paphos district, I could see alone 3 of them towards Amargeti, Nata, and Letymbou.!

"Stuck on the ground are the Russian helicopters leased by the Republic of Cyprus through a contract between the owner company and the Department of Forestry.

The company, which has signed an agreement with the Department of Forests, according to exclusive information from PafosPress, seems to refuse to allow its pilots to fly firefighting helicopters to carry out firefighting in various areas of the island.

The reason for the refusal has to do with a different interpretation of the contract signed between the two parties, and concerns the financial charges after the completion of the specific hours included in the agreement.

In short, the owner company is asking the state for overtime increased fees, something the Department of Forests does not agree with. It should be noted that due to this behavior the contract could be legally terminated but this was not considered necessary as the time frame of the agreement expires tomorrow, November 15, 2021.

In the meantime, as far as we know, the Department of Forestry has already sent a letter to the company requesting the renewal of the agreement, while a letter was also sent to the Legal Service asking for an opinion on the claims of the Russian interests of the owner company.

As PafosPress is informed, this development creates sadness and at the same time discomfort both in the Forest Department and in the Fire Service, since everyone in the two Bodies interprets the attitude of the company as unacceptable and childish.

Sources close to the Fire Brigade say that the company could fly the helicopters where and when needed and not let Cyprus burn because they are claiming higher "compensation" due to overtime.

The problem came to the surface today due to the several fires that broke out simultaneously in Paphos for the extinguishing of which in the absence of Russian helicopters the assistance of the British Base helicopter was requested while from the air, apart from the British, only the aircraft of the Department attempted."

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

So what would your conclusion be?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The Cyprus Govt needs to settle very fast the claims for overtime for the pilots of the Russian helicopters. Also to try to extend the length of their contract.
Also maybe stop all hunting dates as previously mentioned, until or unless Cyprus gets substantial rainfall and also make the lighting of BBQ's etc illegal..
Dream on!

Dee
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

It is not the first time that members of fire fighting crews are the culprits. It happens very often in Germany. As the contract ends today, perhaps some pressure on the Government, showing what happens when there are no helicopters around, while there are various fires, would lead to a better contract. Obviously overtime and weekends are not enough payed for....

By the way, in my opinion the Gov should spent much more on modern fire fighting planes, capable also to work at night, as fires here getting worse by the year.
These old Russian planes look like falling apart when flying over my house with strange noises and very slow speed. If I compare it with the Israel helicopters I realized recently at their night exercises, something like that would be great. I am sure the EU would give also its share if they buy this modern planes before nothing is left but burnt from Cyprus's countrysides.

Max
Paul

Post by Paul »

A fire plane has just gone over Choulou heading north I think back to the areas of the fires!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I know the job the helicopters do when fire fighting. They release a bag full of water onto the fire in one go. Then they go to the nearest stretch of water and lower the bag to fill up again,,

I have seen the aeroplanes also dropping water onto the flame. A question is when the planes tanks of water are empty am I right that they have to go to the airport to refill them?
Trev..
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

The planes don't carry as much water as the helicopters, they are mainly used as spotters.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

But I have seen them dropping water, they did yesterday. I just assume they will have to refill at the airport
Trev..
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:04 am I know the job the helicopters do when fire fighting. They release a bag full of water onto the fire in one go. Then they go to the nearest stretch of water and lower the bag to fill up again,,

I have seen the aeroplanes also dropping water onto the flame. A question is when the planes tanks of water are empty am I right that they have to go to the airport to refill them?
It is chemicals what these yellow planes from the forestry using. When their tank is empty they return to the airport to get a new container. This must be very quick to change as they need only 3-5 minutes to fly back over my house when they return to the airport and back. Airport is ca 8 km from my place...

Max
Paphos Pete

Post by Paphos Pete »

Not sure exactly what firefighting planes they're currently using in Cyprus, but in in some countries the planes are equipped with scoops which allow them to skim over the surface of a lake, and collect more water, effectively refilling on the go. Obviously, this requires the right plane and a big enough lake. Watch this Youtube video from about the 1 minute mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLvxpj6Q8Zk and you'll get an idea. Closer views from about the 3:20 point.

Pete
Cheshire Lad

Post by Cheshire Lad »

Am I dreaming….or…after the last fires in Cyprus earlier in the year, I thought that the EU we’re going to fund an 11-strong aerial firefighting unit to be based in this part of the Mediterranean, and on- call for Cyprus, Greece and others when required.

An Emergency Task Force

CL