CovScan application mandatory for SafePass checks

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

CovScan application mandatory for SafePass checks

Post by memory man »

The checks for SafePass in Cyprus will be conducted only via CovScan Cyprus application from Monday, November 8, the Cabinet decided.

A Health Ministry press release says that all establishments where a SafePass is needed must have the application in order to conduct the checks. The application can be downloaded in android devices for free via Google Play and all interested parties can watch an explanatory video at :

The application allows a quick and safe validity of the EUDCC and therefore the checks will be simplified, the press release says.

Τhrough a scan of the QR of each SafePass the establishments will know if the pass is valid if a green light comes on. That means the carrier of the SafePass has concluded his/her vaccination scheme or has been infected with covid. A yellow/amber lights means that the SafePass is also valid and the carrier has undergone a PCR or rapid test with negative result and red means the pass is not valid.

The Ministry points out that there is a security as regards personal data and that the scan shows only the name and the date of birth adding that personal data are not stored anywhere.

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/covscan ... ss-checks/

https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/11/04/coro ... of-monday/
galexinda

Re: CovScan application mandatory for SafePass checks

Post by galexinda »

What about those people who do not have a smartphone?

Also, longer queues as many people find it easier to show their original vaccination certificate.

For people who have rapid antigen tests, the time of the test is shown as UTC which is the same as GMT. Cyprus is GMT +2.
Could cause some confusion for those wishing to use their negative test result a couple of hours before it expires.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Presumably the businesses checking the SafePass will be able to use the app to scan the QR code on either form of the EUDCC i.e. on the customers smartphone OR on a paper copy.

I read this that the onus to have a device to scan the QR code is on the business, not the customer.

Ian
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

OK, but what about users of Apple IOS smart phones? Don't have the Googleplay app?

Are we expected to buy an android device!

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Im all for it, for one it will stop fake passes, issued by dodgy Doctors and others.
Galini

Post by Galini »

Yes, it IS a good idea
BUT
Make announcement on 4th Nov for compulsory implementation on 8th Nov while the APP itself is only available on Android ???
Seriously ?

Now I know for certain that the world has gone stark raving bonkers !
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Only Once have I shown my pass and then been asked for ID to prove I am the named person on the vaccination certificate
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:47 am Only Once have I shown my pass and then been asked for ID to prove I am the named person on the vaccination certificate
Twice been asked to show pass and id, Sports direct and Jumbos.
Ams

Post by Ams »

Yes, the onus is on the company to be able to scan the code, but this affects the customer too as they must now have a digital QR code for the company to scan. Personally I've been using a photocopy of the vaccination card, which I keep in a pocket ready to show, which is much easier than fiddling with my phone each time. So this is a problem for those who don't have a smart phone.

Also those who are not vaccinated now have have to keep reapplying for the QR code every 3 days, instead of just showing their text message.

But besides all this, the system seems a step too far for me. It seems to be allowing the government to track our movements, which shops we've been too, which bars and restaurants, and when. It's a bit too Big Brother-ish to me. And will only be another argument for those who believe that the government response to covid is all about taking control and not about protecting the public's health. Measures like this may make more people start to doubt the government's motives.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Ams wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:00 pm Yes, the onus is on the company to be able to scan the code, but this affects the customer too as they must now have a digital QR code for the company to scan. Personally I've been using a photocopy of the vaccination card, which I keep in a pocket ready to show, which is much easier than fiddling with my phone each time. So this is a problem for those who don't have a smart phone.

Also those who are not vaccinated now have have to keep reapplying for the QR code every 3 days, instead of just showing their text message.

But besides all this, the system seems a step too far for me. It seems to be allowing the government to track our movements, which shops we've been too, which bars and restaurants, and when. It's a bit too Big Brother-ish to me. And will only be another argument for those who believe that the government response to covid is all about taking control and not about protecting the public's health. Measures like this may make more people start to doubt the government's motives.

Im sure the authorities(Big Brother) are not really interested, whether I buy my undies from Marks and Sparks or Sports Direct.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

The latest update (U Turn) is explained in the Cyprus Mail article. I assume the Cypriot government must have had a crash course at the Boris Johnson School of Political Expediency.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2021/11/05/coro ... quirement/
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Ams wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:00 pm Yes, the onus is on the company to be able to scan the code, but this affects the customer too as they must now have a digital QR code for the company to scan. Personally I've been using a photocopy of the vaccination card, which I keep in a pocket ready to show, which is much easier than fiddling with my phone each time. So this is a problem for those who don't have a smart phone.

You just need a paper copy like you have a copy of your vaccination certificate.

Ian
Dot n Dash

Post by Dot n Dash »

Am I being a bit slow. Where is the added security? what’s to stop anyone from copying their safe pass many times and passing it to others. I’ve transposed our passport photos on to our passes. At most establishments where we have produced them they comment on the improved security.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:11 pm
WHL wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:07 pmIm sure the authorities(Big Brother) are not really interested, whether I buy my undies from Marks and Sparks or Sports Direct.
... or Ann Summers even :shock:
What ever floats your boat :shock: :D
WHL

Post by WHL »

mouse wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:19 pm Don't suppose the authorities do care where you buy your undies ( I recommend Victoria's secrets) but they can sell your retail information to marketing companies , cyta do so why not the government. Information is power !
I don't know about how others feel, but they can sell my details until the cows come home.
It doesn't bother me at all.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Only mandatory from beginning of December according to Cyprus Mail update
daveg

Post by daveg »

Am l being a bit dense this morning?...Went to Play store to install COv Pass Cyprus but it's not listed?...
Upon further investigation, it seems my wife's phone isn't able to receive the CovPass ,so have just taken a photo of the pass and saved to a file on her phone ...
As a backup should she forget the paper copy......
andytspencer

Post by andytspencer »

apparently CovPass needs Android 8.1 or higher, I managed to install the german CovPass when I was there in summer.
I have Android 7.0
dodo

Post by dodo »

Changed the date now to 22nd November!!

I would go to eudcc website fill out and send to an email address to print out. Are they going to be able to scan a photo of the qr code
andytspencer

Post by andytspencer »

some QR printouts don't scan, get an electronic copy and keep it on your phone.