Profiteering or making up lost ground?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Mark

Profiteering or making up lost ground?

Post by Mark »

Has anyone else noticed signs of increased prices locally in tavernas etc?

As an example I have noticed the price of Keo and Carlsberg increased from 2.80 to 3.30, price on menus have also increased by a few euros.

I appreciated businesses are suffering, but they need to be sensible to keep there current customer base, I for one have got used to staying home, but did want to support local eateries etc. I however will not do so if I feel ripped of.

Are these venues biting the hand that has fed them for many years, or should we carry on supporting them regardless?
Last edited by Mark on Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

Re: Profiteering or making up lost ground?

Post by Mark »

I should with hindsight mention that there are at least as many venues whose prices have remained stable, they get my business.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

How would it be profiteering? That only happens when demand outstrips supply. Surely at the moment the reverse is true. I would imagine any price increase would be out of necessity rather than design.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Just been out for dinner, two mixed kebabs, large plate of chips, one tahini, one yogurt one large Keo one perrier, cost 20.50 euro, if that's being ripped off, They can rip me off every day of the week.
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

Obviously I can't speak for Cyprus, because I can't bloody get there!, but I dropped my wife off at Glasgow Airport for a trip to London, the cost for dropping off (a maximum of 10 mins stay) used to be £2, it has doubled to £4.
I spent no more than three minutes in the car park, now that's being ripped off.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Mark wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:22 pm Has anyone else noticed signs of increased prices locally in tavernas etc?

As an example I have noticed the price of Keo and Carlsberg increased from 1.80 to 2 .30, price on menus have also increased by a few euros.

I appreciated businesses are suffering, but they need to be sensible to keep there current customer base, I for one have got used to staying home, but did want to support local eateries etc. I however will not do so if I feel ripped of.

Are these venues biting the hand that has fed them for many years, or should we carry on supporting them regardless?
I don't know anywhere where beer has ever been 1.80, years ago it used to be a 1 pound (1.70) but when it changed to euro most places started to charge 2 euro, then there are the ones that charge 2.50 and even 3 euros, I try to avoid those places.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We have been paying 2-50 for a large bottle of beer for years.. At the places we have been to in the last 12 months it is still the same..
Trev..
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

The beer I drink is called "John Smiths" My local charges €2.80 a can. I can buy it in the supermarket at €0.95 a can. I support my local Pub and drink there. They have struggled to keep their head above the water. They are just starting to get going again with seating indoors.
All things are possible
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

I have noticed a couple of places I frequent have increased their prices for example 2-30 eu for large Carlsberg now 2-50 eu but in general no changes still can get a pint of Keo for 2eu on ToTK road.
Local village taverna the other evening village salad ,pickles peppers olives hummus, takhini, chips haloumi pitta bread and 2 lge. Carlsberg , mineral water 14 Eu.
Mark

Post by Mark »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:21 am We have been paying 2-50 for a large bottle of beer for years.. At the places we have been to in the last 12 months it is still the same..
You are correct Trev, my post should have been 2.80 increased to 3.30, apologies for the senior moment!!!!!!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I feel that 3-30 for a bottle of beer is a lot.. It would have to be a really special place for me to return with those prices ..
Trev..
memory man

Post by memory man »

Just out of curiosity :?

How much is a pint of beer in the UK?
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

memory man wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:00 am Just out of curiosity :?

A large pub in the centre of Blackpool which provides free entertainment (singers, some comedy and a DJ) from lunchtime through to the early hours 7 days a week: a pint of Carling and half a Strongbow £5.60

Same order at our Local Working Men's Club £4.60

Local pub which serves food by the ferry slipway £6.20 - it's always been noted for being more expensive than anywhere else.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Pafos

Post by Pafos »

I overheard a waiter in a village taverna near the airport say to a customer that the local Cyprus house wine had gone up in price due to the Suez blockage…. He hadn’t thought that one through.
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

memory man wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:00 am Just out of curiosity :?

I paid £3 for a pint of Belhaven Best last week, that was in a basic no frills traditional pub though. No idea what the more "fashionable" establishment would charge, and I've no intention of finding out either. I like a bit of conversation with my pint, not a racket meaning you can't hear anything anyone is saying.
The rustle of a crisp packet is my limit🤣
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Pafos wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:40 am I overheard a waiter in a village taverna near the airport say to a customer that the local Cyprus house wine had gone up in price due to the Suez blockage…. He hadn’t thought that one through.
"Local" :lol:
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:15 am I feel that 3-30 for a bottle of beer is a lot.. It would have to be a really special place for me to return with those prices ..
You say special place,your right.Yes,the price of drinks (unless very very high ) does not usually determine where one goes to drink on a regular basis.Its mainly where your friends go and the atmosphere ( been there,done it,and got the T shirt ).
Mark

Post by Mark »

Chaddy wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:21 am
trevnhil wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:15 am I feel that 3-30 for a bottle of beer is a lot.. It would have to be a really special place for me to return with those prices ..
You say special place,your right.Yes,the price of drinks (unless very very high ) does not usually determine where one goes to drink on a regular basis.Its mainly where your friends go and the atmosphere ( been there,done it,and got the T shirt ).
I agree Chaddy, but if given a choice, I would opt for value for money, and not use a place that has increased the price by 50 cents overnight without good reason, and in addition, upsetting what was its loyal clientele.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Some people seem to forget how many overheads pubs/restaurants/cafes have, lets start of with rent, tax, council taxes, social payments, license's, music license's etc, electricity , gas, air con, heating, that nice cosy log fire, needs logs bought, maintenance , Staff wages, the glass you drink your beer in needs buying, then it needs cleaning, the beer needs refrigerating, then you need a napkin, a straw, ice for your drink,etc etc, often hear people say I can buy that beer for 1,50 euro from the supermarket, simple buy it and it drink it at home :?
Mark

Post by Mark »

WHL wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:50 am Some people seem to forget how many overheads pubs/restaurants/cafes have, lets start of with rent, tax, council taxes, social payments, license's, music license's etc, electricity , gas, air con, heating, that nice cosy log fire, needs logs bought, maintenance , Staff wages, the glass you drink your beer in needs buying, then it needs cleaning, the beer needs refrigerating, then you need a napkin, a straw, ice for your drink,etc etc, often hear people say I can buy that beer for 1,50 euro from the supermarket, simple buy it and it drink it at home :?
The venues that have not increased prices exponentially seem to be managing fine, and now have increased custom