Covid Pandemic over in UK

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Jimgym

Covid Pandemic over in UK

Post by Jimgym »

According to the experts "Vaccine rollout has led to drop in symptomatic infections by up to 90 per cent, data show, leaving virus at controllable ‘endemic’ levels" That is absolutely brilliant news. Well done to everyone involved. Lovely to read good news for a change instead of the usual misery! Well done UK Government.

"Britain is no longer in a pandemic, experts have said, as new data showed the vaccination programme is reducing symptomatic Covid infections by up to 90 per cent.

In the first large real-world study of the impact of vaccination on the general population, researchers found that the rollout is having a major impact on cutting both symptomatic and asymptomatic cases.

Sarah Walker, Professor of Medical Statistics and Epidemiology at Oxford and Chief Investigator on the Office for National Statistics Covid-19 Infection Survey, said that Britain had ‘moved from a pandemic to an endemic situation’ where the virus is circulating at a low, largely controllable level in the community.

The new research, based on throat swabs from 373,402 people between December 1 last year and April 3, found three weeks after one dose of either the Pfizer or AstraZeneca jab, symptomatic infections fell by 74 per cent and infections without symptoms by 57 per cent.

By two doses, asymptomatic infections were down 70 per cent and symptomatic by 90 per cent.
It comes as infections continue to fall in Britain, dropping seven per cent in a week, despite the reopening of schools and shops. Deaths have also fallen by 26 per cent and admissions by 19 per cent over the last seven days.

New data from the ONS also showed that Covid was no longer the leading cause of death in March, falling behind dementia and heart disease, for the first time since October.

Prof Walker, said she was hopeful the vaccination programme could keep Covid under control.

“I am cautiously optimistic,” she said at a briefing discussing the new research. “I think the last three months have shown the combined effect of lockdown and vaccination but long term lockdown is not a viable solution, so vaccines are clearly going to be the only way that we are going to have a chance to control this long term."

“Without vaccines, I don’t think getting close to zero is really feasible in the situation now in the UK where we’re effectively endemic, we’ve moved from a pandemic to an endemic situation.”

But she warned ‘“the virus is always going to throw us curve balls and we’re only a small step away from things going wrong again”.
Diocletian

Re: Covid Pandemic over in UK

Post by Diocletian »

A very good report and bravo to all the people involved in research a development. It is no wonder that the PM is to address the Nation this evening and outline 4 measures, as yet unknown.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Couldn't agree more. And what's more, I have absolutely no respect for their opinion. They are akin to Flat Earthers.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

As I see it, those who refuse vaccine for no valid reason, should be made to watch the way in which people die from this disease, that should change a few minds.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

I was speaking to someone here yesterday who was unsure about having the vaccine and tried to explain that the government are putting in putting in steps to encourage everyone to have it if they’re able.

The response was “seems the government are forcing people to have it so therefore I I won’t have it”. Needless to say I put my point across very bluntly and sat somewhere else in the beer garden.
Last edited by The Aquila on Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
boycott

Post by boycott »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:42 am Daughter told us yesterday that she's heard of people in Cyprus who believe that because the vaccine was approved in such a short time "...how do we know it doesn't cause cancer?"

Hard to credit these people have brains in their skulls.
So prove to them that it does not cause cancer or whatever.
boycott

Post by boycott »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:17 am It'd be far easier for me to point out to them that Covid killing them is a dead-cert if they're elderly and infirm and unvaccinated, rather that a half-baked denier's notion - with no evidence whatsoever to support it - that cancer "might" in 20 years time kill them.

I know where my money's at.
In other words you cant prove it doesnt cause cancer or any other illness.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

None of the vaccines have been 100% proven to cause blood clots. It is categorised as a rare side effect just as with the contraceptive pill but they are swallowed daily by billions!
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Covid Pandemic over in UK - I think I'll take a back seat until 3-6 months have passed with no further peaks in numbers of new positive cases.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Do you mean you are thinking of going there after 3 to 6 months ? ;-)
Trev..
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

If we never had vaccines at all, we would all probably be dead by now, assuming of course that we had been born at all.

Polio, Diphtheria, Smallpox, Whooping Cough, Measles, TB, take your pick.

How did we know that they wouldn't cause cancer ? We didn't.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:13 pm Do you mean you are thinking of going there after 3 to 6 months ? ;-)
No Trev, just that I think it is premature to say the pandemic is over in the UK and we need to see what the situation is like in 3-6 months before making announcements like that.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Well, if Boris is still in charge, he’ll let bodies pile up in Their thousands before locking down again ...
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

He denied saying that
Trev..
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

If he did say it then it would probably have been meant as a flippant, throw away comment to cement his believe that by opening up slowly it would not be required.

The biggest problem is that the woke brigade take everything so literally....
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

We seem to be in a situation whereby the press are the opposition and the official opposition in Parliament are simply not functioning. When did the press become the 3rd chamber of Parliament and who are they pushing to replace Boris? Is it Gove or Sunak?
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

I doubt that it will ever happen but I long for the day that News Readers report the news factually and objectively again. In other words revert to being News "READERS" which they used to be. The Covid situation has highlighted just how biased some of them actually are as they foist their negativity onto us. Even when reporting something really positive, it is invariably followed by at least one "but".
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

trevnhil wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:37 am He denied saying that
Apparently, the witnesses who spoke to the BBC and ITV - separate to the Mail one - have threatened to go public if Johnson doesn't tell the truth
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The Aquila wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:18 am If he did say it then it would probably have been meant as a flippant, throw away comment to cement his believe that by opening up slowly it would not be required.

The biggest problem is that the woke brigade take everything so literally....
I think this statement on it's own would have killed any PM's position, previously. Johnson has previous for lying. He also definitely delayed lockdowns on each occasion and without a doubt, thousands have died as a result - yet some cannot see how incompetent he is...