Are Cyprus Covid Cases Really Rising ?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Are Cyprus Covid Cases Really Rising ?

Post by Dominic »

Oh come off it. It is much worse in lots of other European countries. If we stopped all those pesky antigen tests and did away with track and trace there would be much lower figures.

If any thing the increased figures will encourage more ditherers to get vaccinated.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Dominic, show me another European country that has over 8 to 900 cases per million head of population, Cyprus is near critical mass.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Dominic, you stated previously that the number of hospitalised patients was the key stat, it is now higher than at any previous measurement, we have a problem here that shows no sign of abating. I am not a pessimist, I love this country, but I am a realist.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:32 am
Devil's suggestion that businessmen meeting up could cause the outbreaks to multiply was assinine. What about children who meet up at school each day, what about the people who shop in the Malls or big stores like Super Home, Debs, or the supermarkets? Who amongst us doesn't? Are businessmen any more guilty of spreading the evidence than anyone else? If so, share the evidence.

Far from being asinine, business meetings most frequently last considerably more than the other means that you quote, typically 30 minutes, against a few seconds in a supermarket. The silly 15 minute rule still applies. I don't play piggyback on other people in the shop. So, yes, businessmen have a much greater potential for spreading the disease than the customers in a shop. Digging into the bottom of the barrel, aren't you?
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Perhaps this Covid map of Cyprus gives a better indication than looking at numbers.

The largest percentage of confirmed cases is in the 20-39 age group.

https://covid19.ucy.ac.cy/?fbclid=IwAR2 ... eOIT1UrCMk
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

You really are adept at deliberately getting the wrong end of the stick, aren't you? FYI, my granddaughter is at school most of the day, being a teacher. If you weren't so obtuse, you would realise that the "few seconds" applied to the time it takes to pass somebody in the aisle.

Also, one of the very last jobs I did for UNEP was in Wunan, as Chief Scientific Officer. My team consisted of two technicians and an admin guy and we were there for two days in discussions, always four on each side of the table. Boring, in the extreme!
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The answer is vaccinations and urgent targeting of outbreaks. Australia and New Zealand, Japan and S Korea showed us how a year ago.

Boris chose to ignore and if it weren’t for the vaccines, the UK would lead the world on deaths instead of being just in the top league!

Cyprus did everything right but the vaccination program needs to accelerate.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

The Uk are doing brilliantly at vaccinating, a pity the same cannot be said for Europe thanks to the utterly inept handling procurement by the EU. Well done Boris!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, they are! Unfortunately, the EU were too late by the time they got around to booking..
Their procedures seem to take far too long as so many people and countries are involved.
By then, Boris had ordered colossal amounts of all the best vaccines...
Hence the mess that many European countries find themselves in now.
Mind you, many Brits won't be able to visit their ususl European holiday haunts until at least later this year.
Dee