Deportations

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Deportations

Post by WHL »

Could this happen here?, chickens coming home to roost and all that,

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14480879/ ... 1616948176
Diocletian

Re: Deportations

Post by Diocletian »

I think it should happen. Towards the end of last year, there were about 31,000 Brits in Cyprus without the correct permissions to reside there. I would congratulate Spain for taking the correct course of action.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I read years ago that Spain had 2 aircraft on lease full time just for deportations alone.
Paul
WHL

Post by WHL »

Diocletian wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:18 pm I think it should happen. Towards the end of last year, there were about 31,000 Brits in Cyprus without the correct permissions to reside there. I would congratulate Spain for taking the correct course of action.
There might be a few elderly people who are generaly confused and havent bothered to register, but I think the majority are those who duck and dive, want to go under the radar, not pay taxes, work for cash in hand etc, no sympathy for those, they deserve what they get.
lotus

Post by lotus »

Good idea,I can think of a few straight off,( not on this forum tho 😉)
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

WHL wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:32 pm
Diocletian wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:18 pm I think it should happen. Towards the end of last year, there were about 31,000 Brits in Cyprus without the correct permissions to reside there. I would congratulate Spain for taking the correct course of action.
There might be a few elderly people who are generaly confused and havent bothered to register, but I think the majority are those who duck and dive, want to go under the radar, not pay taxes, work for cash in hand etc, no sympathy for those, they deserve what they get.
I would agree. The High Commission even set up a scheme to help those that were vulnerable and or confused, but the rest, they deserve to be expelled.
jeba

Post by jeba »

From the article linked:
To be able to live in Spain now, you will need to show proof that you're earning, either through having a contract with a Spanish company, or by proving that you have at least £2,000 a month coming into your account.

For a family, it will be much more. You will need to show that you have an extra £500 a month for each member of the family.

For example, a family of four will need to prove they earn a yearly salary of at least £42,000.
I´m surprised the income requirements are that high. I know of a Brit living in Cyprus who got the nod with a pension of less than GBP 500/month.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

We moved here before Cyprus joined the EU and followed the rules to gain the correct papers. It wasn't difficult, and the authorities here made it as easy as possible for us. I have absolutely no sympathy with anyone trying to stay under the radar. Perhaps this can be considered another good thing to come from Brexit?!
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

I may have mentioned this on a previous posting.How ever,if you employ someone to work say on or in your abode,if their papers are not up to date and legal then YOU yes YOU will be for the high jump if the authorities find out. :shock:
It will not wash trying to explain they told you they where legal.Check their papers and pay them by cheque to be on the safe side.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

As recently as 2020 in Cyprus the minimum income requirement was €480 per month for one person.

We wintered in a marina in Spain 2009/2010 and had a special dispensation because the marina contract was for 6 months whereas the normal maximum stay for visitors was 90 days. People who overstayed by even one day or took up employment during that time (for which a different piece of paper was required) had their yacht impounded - literally had extra padlocks placed on the entrance door/hatch so they could not enter the yacht, even if they did climb over the yellow tape at the edge of the berth stating that the yacht had been impounded and no one was allowed on board. Once the necessary fines had been paid the paperwork would be updated and the yacht and crew could leave. Hence there were a few yachts left in their berths at the end of the winter season as the owners had already left the country.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

galexinda wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:17 pm As recently as 2020 in Cyprus the minimum income requirement was €480 per month for one person.
Many foreign helpers have a net income of between EUR300 and 350. Worse, many widows who themselves have never contributed receive about EUR 320.
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

The average salary in Spain per annum is about € 27,000 and here about €22,000 . In most Mediterranean countries the average salary hovers around either the allowance before tax is paid or the first big jump in tax as so much is black earnings. Would seem at €42,000 Spain has either had enough of Brits living under the radar or at least only wants Brits who pay a great deal of tax to live there post Brexit. In either case they are to be saluted .
On the asking for proof the workman is paying tax , most of the indigenous population would have to deported too !
WHL

Post by WHL »

Devil wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:42 pm
galexinda wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:17 pm As recently as 2020 in Cyprus the minimum income requirement was €480 per month for one person.
Many foreign helpers have a net income of between EUR300 and 350. Worse, many widows who themselves have never contributed receive about EUR 320.
Not correct Devil, the minimum now is 720e for a single pensioner and 1200e for a couple,
the social give you a grant on top of your pension to bring you up to that figure, if that's your only income,
I know this for a fact, because my wife just helped an elderly neighbour to go through this procedure

Home helps a different case as they are here on a contract, and get free living accommodation etc
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Yes, a lot of rules have changed regarding income levels and other requirements in order to be able to live in Cyprus, not just caused by Brexit as that only affects those from the UK but due to a general overhaul of the whole system. Just so grateful that we made the move to Cyprus when we did.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:44 am Spain has denied that it intends to round up Brits: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/brexit-spain- ... 22349.html

Diocletian wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:18 pmTowards the end of last year, there were about 31,000 Brits in Cyprus without the correct permissions to reside there.

If these people are, as you suggest, flying under the radar, how come you are able to provide such a precise figure?
The figure comes from the High Commission and was published in the autumn of last year in association with information regarding their service to assist those that needed to formalise their status.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, I remember that figure of Brits either with old, outdated documents or those who had avoided Immigration perhaps. But that must have been an approximate number I suspect.
In the 'old days' prior to Cyprus joining the EU, the BHC had a different system, Brits living here were encouraged to notify the High Commission of their names and addresses and contact numbers.
Each area had its own representative who in case of some natural or man caused emergency, was tasked with notifying all Brits who had registered, with information from the BHC in case an evacuation was necessary,
This system stopped after Cy joined the EU and computers and mobile phones were widely used.
Dee