Cabinet postpones till Friday final decisions on further relaxing covid measures

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Cabinet postpones till Friday final decisions on further relaxing covid measures

Post by Paphos Life »

Cabinet on Wednesday postponed until Friday taking final decisions on further relaxing coronavirus measures in Cyprus in view of the rising number of new cases over recent past days.The postponement was also because of the increased number of hospitalisations all across Cyprus, epidemiologist Zoi-Dorothea Pana told state radio....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Kili01

Re: Cabinet postpones till Friday final decisions on further relaxing covid measures

Post by Kili01 »

This isn't surprising news as the number of Corona virus cases goes up and up each day. Now the number of Corona beds in the public hospitals are near full capacity. Still wondering why the Govt haven't applied much stronger measures to Limassol where many of the cases still come from?

Dee
trevnhil

Re: Cabinet postpones till Friday final decisions on further relaxing covid measures

Post by trevnhil »

I must admit that I too am puzzled as to why special measures have not been taken at Limassol
Trev..
lotus

Post by lotus »

I can never understand why the vaccine wasn't given to younger people first and then gradually age by age upwards,not just talking about Cyprus but worldwide,to my mind it's more likely to be spread by the younger generation and not us oldies who I think can be more sensible ,like any problem you start at the root source
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

However the other argument is that younger people are more likely to be able to manage OK when they have the virus. Where as older people are more likely to be hospitalised and even die.
"The number of deaths from Covid since the start of the pandemic has
reached 235, with 156 being men. The average age is 79."
Trev..
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

The problem is though that it appears to be younger people who are spreading it to the older people who ultimately end up very ill in hospital. The spread in most cases is from family member to family member.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

But isn't it also the case like everywhere else in the world, elderly people have more health issues and therefore more vulnerable and likely to take up hospital beds - hence receiving the vaccine before others.

Younger people are the ones who can continue to go to work, generally have less health problems and, here's the important part, help to keep the economy going.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

lotus wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:45 am I can never understand why the vaccine wasn't given to younger people first
The vaccine doesn't prevent you getting the virus, it just hopefully reduces the effect of it. And it certainly doesn't mean you can't be a carrier.
lotus

Post by lotus »

My point is if the younger generation who are mostly the ones spreading the virus had been vaccinated first then the older generation would have been less at risk,take care homes,most of the fatalities were caused by staff going to work having the virus and passing it on,same with many work places,
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

It would be much better if everyone, old and young, wore masks properly, washed their hands, and socially distanced. You only have to look around to see people who are not doing this, gathered together in groups. Where families are concerned, people should stay in their own houses and avoid large family get togethers when different ages mingle. It is counter to what people and families normally do, but self restraint would help in the fight against Corona.
Dee
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Lotus,
We keep being told that it isn't known yet whether people who have been vaccinated are capable of carrying and spreading the virus... At least vaccinating the elderly first gives them some protection and importantly has virtually stopped the high rate of serious illness and subsequent death. Also the ICU's aren't working to capacity with seriously ill people as the majority of younger people if infected, will recover.
Dee
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Dee,

I’m sure I read several reports a couple of weeks back thatthe U.K. and Israel on the back of their real world data, have indicated that vaccination reduces transmission by around 65-70%.

Ian
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

PolemIan wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:11 pm Dee,

I’m sure I read several reports a couple of weeks back thatthe U.K. and Israel on the back of their real world data, have indicated that vaccination reduces transmission by around 65-70%.

Ian
Yes, the UK and Israel have seen signs of reduced transmission but are these figures meaningful? There are still numbers of non-vaccinated people who could easily restart a new wave of infection. In the meanwhile, Cyprus has not seen any reduction because of the poor level of vaccination; in fact, rather the opposite with a shortage of beds available in the Covid wards.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:35 am Otherwise, people will disregard rules and regs, as is happening in Limassol.
Is this why Limassol has a disproportionately high rate of coronavirus cases?
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Latest announcement out and not a lot has changed it seems. Still have to text, curfew slightly later and outside eating areas allowed.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

At many restaurants there has always been a 'Grey area' as to what is 'outside' :-) I feel some will have a roof and screens or blinds to provide some shelter..
Trev..
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

When our restaurants in the UK could only open outside, it was usually a roof with a back, open sides, with space heaters and even rugs for knees which were used once and deposited in a box for laundering upon leaving.

It was better than nothing.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.