2nd rate workmanship

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

2nd rate workmanship

Post by memory man »

I had to go to the optician this morning ie. Elean on the seafront ( the one with the webcam )

On the road down from the Mall roundabout for a few hundred metres the road is slightly raised
and has slabs. The condition of the slabs and the way they have sunk and are askew is "in my way of thinking"
a very poor job. :cry: :cry:
trevnhil

Re: 2nd rate workmanship

Post by trevnhil »

I agree Memory Man, we comment on it every time we drive along there. When they were first put down they were multi coloured, but now they are all 'tyre black'. A very poor choice of slab and very poorly laid ..
Trev..
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

Maybe worth letting the Mayor's office know as if its the part just past the Mall Island and is in between the 2 archeological parks this was only relaid the year before last !!!
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

We always say the same. Cannot for the life of me think why they laid them there. Now all grungy and misplaced. Not nice at all.
All things are possible
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

That section of road is a joke and needs rethinking. The original contractor put down the small standard brick sized blocks which lifted in no time. As the story goes according a friend who works just down from there, the council took over with a we know better attitude and relaid with what is there now, which took even ,I get to lay, lasted a little bit longer but has been coming part for months. I think the original intent was to create a traffic calming feature to tie in with the new walkways, so hopefully as that’s due to restart they will address that section as well. And get rid of those crazy trip hazzard they installed in the adjacent pavement.

I don’t often criticise what’s been done in Paphos, but that stretch really winds me up, especially as it’s so visible to tourists - remember them, on the way to the harbour area. I reckon, Dig it up, put decent tarmac down and put in an extras traffic light controlled pedestrian crossing.

Ian
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I remember when they were initially laying that, I saw somebody with a plan, and every stone seemed to be marked on it. So at some point somebody put a bit of thought into it. Shame how it turned out so far.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

That road to the harbour takes a lot of traffic, its not a good place to put paving. A return to a more durable road surface is clearly needed. Tarmac might be the best solution. If they choose to re-tile the same stretch of road, it could be closed for a much longer period....

Dee
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I would say it's poorly designed, not the workmanship. Blocked or tiled paving is just not up to the task due to the amount of traffic just like the junction by the silos in Anavargas which is in a terrible state and dangerous. Unfortunately that type of traffic calming measure is not fit for purpose in those two particular locations.

Jim
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I would have an opposing view to Jim B and say that the materials used on the red brick crossings or traffic calming are absolutely fine..
Only a couple of miles from out house are three of the crossings that get some of the heaviest use in Cyprus.. There are on the main road through Stroumbi.. They get all the really heavy wagons from the quarries and also all the concrete mixer wagons, and of course Petrol Tankers .. I have seen NO signs of wear or sagging or displacement of blocks.
I think it is down to the workmen that install them. The Stroumbi ones have been there a few years now and are just fine ..
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Thats true, Trev. I drove through Stroumbi twice recently en route to Droushia and agree with you.. The red tiled crossings there seem to be as good as ever. Whereas the slabs(or tiles) used on the harbour bound road just look a mess and are horrible to drive over. I hope that the Mayor will notice and do something about replacing then. Maybe a good quality asphalt would be more durable. That should be both quicker and easier to lay. Whether we have much of a tourist season this year remains to be seen, but at present Boris has forbidden most Brits to travel abroad for their holiday.And anyone entering the UK is going to have to hotel quarantine, pay for it, plus pay for 2 PCR tests. Substantial financial cost for a hotel close to LHR. It seems this is not a good time to plan a visit to the UK!
Dee