New street lights... perfect

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

New street lights... perfect

Post by cyprusmax47 »

A couple of days ago EAC replaced the old street lights at my place and I must say that they are perfect. A single luminaire throws light as many as ca 30 m, great. With the old one you was after 5 m in the dark....

a single one gives that bright light

two are much too much however..

close up

So today I am not bashing EAC for that good installation of modern LED's :)

Max
Anarita John

Re: New street lights... perfect

Post by Anarita John »

We had them fitted in Anarita during the summer They are brilliant and much brighter than the single bulb they replaced.
WHL

Post by WHL »

We have had them in Larnaca for a number of years now
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Interesting article, not long ago, I wonder how much CO2 penalty was avoided and how many of this LED's are already installed.... :roll:

https://cyprus-mail.com/2019/07/28/led- ... y-by-2020/

Max
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The LED lights were installed in our village maybe around 6 month ago, or more
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

In fact some new cars and probably some older ones too which have been modified have over bright LED lights. Plus some cars appear to have had extra front lights fitted , The effect of so much light can dazzle the drivers of cars coming from the other direction. Particularly if the driver of such a vehicle doesn't dip his headlights. Are there any regulations which govern car front lights? The dazzle is even worse on a wet night.
Yes, the new street lights are much more effective than the old single bulb ones. Though they still need to be placed at the optimum distance from each other to avoid creating patches of darkness/ shadows between them.
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I tend to honk my horn at cars with dazzingly bright headlights. If the driver needs that much illumination to see then there is a chance they can't see my muddy green Pajero, so a few toots will alert them to my presence.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
garry&jill

Post by garry&jill »

I remember when Chelmsford race course opened pilots going into Stansted
had a real problem with lights being too bright on their approach to land
garry
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

But all the LED's are facing the floor on the new lights admittedly at different angles. But they are not shining into the night sky
Trev..
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

The fact is that many of the older types of outdoor lighting used at night is inefficient,
overly bright, poorly targeted, improperly shielded, and, in many cases,
completely unnecessary. This light, and the electricity used to create it,
is being wasted by spilling it into the night sky, rather than focusing it on to
the actual objects and areas that people want illuminated.The newer types of lighting fixtures such as the LEDs been fitted around the island are designed to prevent glare,limit light trespass and reduce night sky glow by focusing the beam of light towards the ground in a measured and controlled area. A number of manufacturers now adhere to Dark Sky recommendations to assist in reducing night sky pollution.so whilst the new LEDs light is brighter is doesn't necessarily mean an increase in pollution figures would be interesting to see what the Islands footprint looks like in say 5 years time when all the lighting is modernized and replaced with LEDs.