Cyprus petrol price hike to pay for €40 mln eco-fine

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
galexinda

Cyprus petrol price hike to pay for €40 mln eco-fine

Post by galexinda »

Motorists will be digging further into their pockets when they visit their local petrol station, as pump prices are expected to shoot up by 2-5 cents a litre, to pay for a hefty fine as Cyprus missed EU emission targets for 2020.

A Finance Ministry source told the Financial Mirror that petrol prices are expected to rise as Cyprus failed to increase the contribution of renewable energy sources in the energy mix used for transport by 10% by the end of 2020.

https://www.financialmirror.com/2021/01 ... -eco-fine/
JimX

Re: Cyprus petrol price hike to pay for €40 mln eco-fine

Post by JimX »

As many of us now are only using our motors far more sparingly now, I doubt this hike will be noticed.
Jim.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Important is the pressure of the EU with fines etc that pushes Cyprus into a more "green" country. We have soooo much sunshine, however we don't use it to produce our own electricity with it through solar PV systems on our roofs. My post earlier on points in the same direction....
By the way: the fines will get much higher the years coming if Cyprus is not reacting! :!:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14020

Max
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Max,
I remember from when I had photo voltaic panels installed on the roof of my previous house, that the attitude from EAC was not very helpful. Basically, the reason I was given then was because when the PV installation sends electricity to the EAC it can cause spikes in voltage which apparently can upset their system. Has this been fixed? Please excuse my language as I'm no electrician! Also there is /was reluctance at EAC to get on with installing gas powered generators. But it is unfair to burden the motorist to pay for the result of not purchasing new generators.
Dee
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:18 pm Max,
I remember from when I had photo voltaic panels installed on the roof of my previous house, that the attitude from EAC was not very helpful. Basically, the reason I was given then was because when the PV installation sends electricity to the EAC it can cause spikes in voltage which apparently can upset their system. Has this been fixed?
Dee
Yes, in the past EAC was against photovoltaic systems, small and large, and tried hard to avoid any more installations of it even with wrong excuses.
I already mentioned it in my other post!! viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14020

Max
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

On another news thread the EAC are being asked to reduce the cost electricity because of the huge profits that have been made, yet they have been fined for using dirty fuel at the power station. Their solution to that is to punish the motorist by increasing petrol costs, strange logic, give with one hand and take away with another.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
darrow

Post by darrow »

JimX wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:47 am As many of us now are only using our motors far more sparingly now, I doubt this hike will be noticed.
Jim, you may not, but there are plenty of working age people who rely on their cars to get to their low paid nobs! Cyprus has failed to move yet again, so the people pay. It doesnt affect us so much either we fill up about once every two months. It will hit some hard.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

EAC, State owned, is over staffed. Their staff are Govt servants with salaries and benefits to match. They are also a law unto themselves. Any previous attempts to reform them have ended with the staff threatening to impose power cuts or to strike. Conversion of generaters to burn natural gas could have been done after the Mari explosion in 2011. But most of their generators are still burning a heavy diesel. So their obvious solution to the EU demanding they meet emission targets and now imposing heavy fines, is to make their customers pay for their own intransigence. It's a disgrace.
Dee
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes.