Driving range

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
bmwx5

Driving range

Post by bmwx5 »

Reports from social media the driving range on the front was visited today and several customers fined 300 eu plus the buisness owner.
galexinda

Re: Driving range

Post by galexinda »

Yes, I have been reading numerous reports - Marios golf and driving range near St George's Hotel in Chloraka.
CYWALL

Post by CYWALL »

I've often wondered about that HIC, for instance the persons caught who may not have I.D. on them, could just give a false name and address.
How would the police check this out when they have other work to get on with.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:45 am Dee will love to hear this....

A couple of days ago my son-in-law made an installation for a policeman in the Nicosia area. During the conversation the topic of fines for non-compliance of Covid rules came up. The policeman volunteered that almost all of the issued fines have not been paid! And it does rather raise the question as to whether the fines are enforceable, if Parliament has not formally ratified new Covid regulations.
not according to the Cyprus mail

https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/10/27/coro ... heir-fine/
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The fines never go away. They just get taken to court.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I knew I was likely to be right in what I wrote originally about fines not being paid by some people. It was WHL who took exception to this!

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:30 pm I knew I was likely to be right in what I wrote originally about fines not being paid by some people. It was WHL who took exception to this!

Dee
As my name was brought up, I will tell you again, you are Wrong, eventually they will catch up with you and you will pay alot more then the original fine, but here's the thing, do us all a favor, the next time you get a ticket for speeding , parking or what ever, DON'T PAY, the fine, just come back on the forum and let us all know , how it eventually ends, cheers
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

I also understand that any outstanding issues or fines are flagged up at immigration and people have had to cough up when either leaving or entering Cyprus.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

25 November 2020

''Some €2 mln in police fines for breaching COVID-19 rules have found their way to state coffers according to the Justice Ministry while another €2 mln in outstanding penalties has not been paid''....

''According to (Justice Minister) Emily Yiolitis, those who fail to pay their fine will be taken to court''.

https://www.financialmirror.com/2020/11 ... rom-fines/
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Trouble is that there are a number of very poor families and individuals now, some of whom probably simply couldn't afford to pay even a €300 fine. This equally applies to many businesses, for whom the fines can be much larger. As some one has said, even if these offenders are taken to court it would probably take years to be summoned.
As for having a problem with leaving the country with an unpaid fine, if you are someone who has no plans to go abroad, this isn't much of a threat!
Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

What you relate about people not being able to pay the fines is no doubt very true.
But there would have been NO fines if they had only obeyed the rules that the majority of us have to abide by...
Trev..
boycott

Post by boycott »

Well said Trev!
jeba

Post by jeba »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:57 am As for having a problem with leaving the country with an unpaid fine, if you are someone who has no plans to go abroad, this isn't much of a threat!
Plus I´d like to think that you´ll only be stopped once a court has finally confirmed that you have to pay. Otherwise you could be stripped of your right to movement even if it turns out that e. g. you had legitimate reasons for breaking the curfew or that.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

A friend of ours was fined €300 when the police turned at the building site where he and three others were working. They had been called by their boss and told they could go to work as he had checked with the police, unfortunately the police never told him it was a maximum of three workers.
It's not as black and white as suggested and also many are not sat at home on pensions or on furlough and get little or no support.

The police will stop you at the airport without a court order, the police did it to a woman who assaulted a staff member where my daughter works.

Jim
boycott

Post by boycott »

Jim wrote - It's not as black and white as suggested and also many are not sat at home on pensions or on furlough and get little or no support.

Sorry that is NOT an excuse or reason to break the law.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

boycott wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:29 am Jim wrote - It's not as black and white as suggested and also many are not sat at home on pensions or on furlough and get little or no support.

Sorry that is NOT an excuse or reason to break the law.
I expected that from you.

Jim
boycott

Post by boycott »

And your point is?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

They weren't deliberately breaking the the law and were working in good faith, sometimes a little bit of discretion in situations like that would have been better served. Wasn't it Mr Bumble in Oliver Twist who said the Law is an Ass.

Jim
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I've only had one speeding fine in my time in Cyprus, and that was for exceeding what was then a speed limit of 30mph on an empty road, on the down hill part of the Polis Rd, just below the Trimithousa crossroads. ( long before the present 'basket' roundabout was dreamt up). I 've had the occasional parking ticket. But I always pay any fines on time. It was very strange really, as when I was stopped for speeding, I promptly appologised, offered to pay. It being Saturday, he told me to report to the Transport Dept on Monday. Which I did. I paid my fine and they asked for my license. They were going to put points on it, but my old paper license had nowhere to enter them. They said not to worry and let me go... Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I have been caught speeding, and crossing a white line. But I paid both fines and I got points on my license
Trev..