Anastasiades hopes electricity market will be opened up "soon"

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Anastasiades hopes electricity market will be opened up "soon"

Post by Paphos Life »

President Nicos Anastasiades on Monday expressed the hope that the electricity market would be opened up sooner rather than later, and together with the advent of LNG, supply would become cheaper for consumers.The president was speaking during the handover of the Electricity Authority of Cyprus' 2019 annual report by its chairman Michalis Komodromos....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Kili01

Re: Anastasiades hopes electricity market will be opened up "soon"

Post by Kili01 »

Have just read the article referred to. It seems that the LNG terminal is being built and is scheduled to be finished in 2022. After which liquified natural gas will be imported. After which hopefully electricity should become cheaper to produce... a change over to gas generators as well as being more efficient and less polluting than the present heavy fuel oil which is used. Hopefully then Cyprus will stop being fined by the EU for the pollution that burning heavy oil causes.

Dee

Dee
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Do not believe that electricity will be cheaper; it will not! The cost of the regasification will more than absorb that of the cheaper fuel. The whole idea of building the regasification plant is plumb crazy when the 50% reduction in consumption by 2030 kicks in and the hundred percent by 2050. These guys simply have not been doing their homework.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Devil.. I wonder if you can expand a little on this sentence..
" the 50% reduction in consumption by 2030 kicks in and the hundred percent by 2050. These guys simply have not been doing their homework. "
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I think he's talking about EU laws.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Tanny wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:09 am The cost won't come down but I would love to see the parasites who 'work for' the AIK thrown into the gutter.
Parasites?
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:09 pm Devil.. I wonder if you can expand a little on this sentence..
" the 50% reduction in consumption by 2030 kicks in and the hundred percent by 2050. These guys simply have not been doing their homework. "
I forget the correct terminology, offhand, but the EU wants to reduce the 'effective' consumption as I stated. I put effective in inverted commas because it is permitted to increase the use of gas provided that the equivalent amount of resultant carbon emissions is reduced accordingly. In the case of Cyprus, this may be difficult because of the big use of vehicles, so that it is probable that the 50 and 100 percent figures may be necessary or very close to them.
grb

Post by grb »

I have used the office by the motorway roundabout a couple of times and have found the staff there to be excellent and helpful. As a bonus, they even stick to the system of numbered tickets for the queues, no 'pushing in'!
WHL

Post by WHL »

Tanny wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:25 pm Yes parasites. Sadly many of those who work for the AIK (particularly in that carbuncle) under perform in all areas, offer poor service, have no accountability and are merely treading water until their over sized pension and benefits kicks in.

Nobody in that office has any form of responsibility for actions and inactions therefore making many of them nothing more than parasites.
And what proof/evidence , do you have for such a sweeping damning statement