Suppliers of granite/quartz worktops

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
sunspot

Suppliers of granite/quartz worktops

Post by sunspot »

We are looking for a supplier of granite and quartz (artificial granite) countertops for kitchens and bathrooms. We are prepared to pay more for good quality workmanship.

There are many suppliers in Paphos and Limassol. Are any particularly recommended? Appreciate hearing other people's experiences. Thank you.
darrow

Re: Suppliers of granite/quartz worktops

Post by darrow »

We got our at the top of MesoginAve. Enter the road that leads to Road Transport offices, where you go to register your cars or get a licence, on the right there is a kitchen manufacturer, it is in Greek, but they speak English. They have samples in there. Also carry on follow the road to the right and about half way up on the left there is a stone masons whom I believe have granite, but I haven't been in. Shop around!
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

Thanks, darrow.
JimX

Post by JimX »

We also got our Granite from this outlet 16 years ago, unfortunately the surface of the work tops has now deteriorated, replacement are out of my pocket these days, looking for a cheaper alternative, personally I would not go down the Granite or Marble work tops again.
Jim.
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

JimX wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:19 am We also got our Granite from this outlet 16 years ago, unfortunately the surface of the work tops has now deteriorated, replacement are out of my pocket these days, looking for a cheaper alternative, personally I would not go down the Granite or Marble work tops again.

JimX, did you seal the surface of your granite? (I have read that you must do that at least once a year, or liquids will penetrate.) Or do you find that the surface is scarred/pitted rather than stained?

I have never had a granite worktop before. In the past, I have chosen quartz (artifical granite) which is impermeable, but it is more expensive. Unfortunately the quartz colours available will not work in our new house.

Marble is out of the question for us, as it is more porous than granite. Same applies to wood.

I suppose that formica is the only cheaper alternative, unless people have found another option?
darrow

Post by darrow »

You can get aluminium and polished concrete now. I think whatever you get it will have extensive wear and tear, especially around the sink area. I notice that RCS offer a granite cleaning job. The before and after pictures look good. Mine have become dull around the sink area too. I use granite cream about once a month but the shine doesn't last long. I am questioning the validity of spending extra on granite too,
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Sunspot, Are you having your kitchen installed by a reputable kitchen company? If so have you asked them? When we had our limed oak Italian kitchen installed in our new house, we asked around, but in the end our kitchen company suggested one. We visited their stone yard where we looked at various colours of granite and quartz slabs of these material and negotiated.s. In my experience if you want good quality matrials you have to pay a reasonable price for them. The ones we chose were a very dark green/black quartz. It prooved very hard wearing. No problems and still looked good when we sold the house 19 years later. It depends how you look after them. Our buyers were very happy with the kitchen as it was.
Dee
JimX

Post by JimX »

[quote=sunspot post_id=125470 time=1603610164 user_id=2635]
[quote=JimX post_id=125460 time=1603599574 user_id=474]
We also got our Granite from this outlet 16 years ago, unfortunately the surface of the work tops has now deteriorated, replacement are out of my pocket these days, looking for a cheaper alternative, personally I would not go down the Granite or Marble work tops again.

Jim, did you seal the surface of your granite? (I have read that you must do that at least once a year, or liquids will penetrate.) Or do you find that the surface is scarred/pitted rather than stained?

I have never had a granite worktop before. In the past, I have chosen quartz (artifical granite) which is impermeable, but it is more expensive. Unfortunately the quartz colours available will not work in our new house.

Marble is out of the question for us, as it is more porous than granite. Same applies to wood.

I suppose that formica is the only cheaper alternative, unless people have found another option?
[/quote]

Re: sealant, Not as far as I can remember, for sure it looks awful now and I certainly would never have Granite again, probably these composite tops maybe better?
Jim.
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:51 pm Sunspot, Are you having your kitchen installed by a reputable kitchen company? If so have you asked them? When we had our limed oak Italian kitchen installed in our new house, we asked around, but in the end our kitchen company suggested one. We visited their stone yard where we looked at various colours of granite and quartz slabs of these material and negotiated.s. In my experience if you want good quality matrials you have to pay a reasonable price for them. The ones we chose were a very dark green/black quartz. It prooved very hard wearing. No problems and still looked good when we sold the house 19 years later. It depends how you look after them. Our buyers were very happy with the kitchen as it was.
Dee
Thanks, Kili01. Our kitchen has awkward lines and must be made by a carpenter.

Your quartz colours sound interesting. We love quartz for its durability but have not found those colours anywhere. Could you please tell me where you found it? Or PM me the name of the kitchen shop? That would be a great help.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Sunspot,
Unfortunately, this was 20 years ago and before the financial crisis which hit Cyprus in 2013.
The kitchen company was Regina Kitchens. But I think that they went out of business as their shop in Paphos old town closed. There are still stone masons yards around Paphos, but they have moved as new roads and buildings have been built. Very sorry, but can't help you.
But there are several kitchen companies in Paphos.
Dee