Police ramp up checks for use of mobile phone by drivers

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Police ramp up checks for use of mobile phone by drivers

Post by Paphos Life »

Police announced on Sunday a two-week campaign that starts tomorrow targeting the use of mobile phones by drivers.The announcement said that the campaign, which aims at tackling fatal and serious traffic accidents, will begin on September 14 and will last until Sunday, September 27....

Read the article and chat about it below...
trevnhil

Re: Police ramp up checks for use of mobile phone by drivers

Post by trevnhil »

There should be lots of booking and fines given out because you can hardly drive down any road without seeing another driver on their phone... Including HGV's
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I hope that the police do take action against as many drivers who are guilty of this as possible. Driving one handed, mobile clamped to ear seems to be a national obsession here. Particularly some drivers of HGV's -so dangerous.

Dee
staffie

Post by staffie »

most vehicles now have automatic transmission, so leaving a hand free to use for various reasons, perhaps this a contribution for using a phone whilst driving.
WHL

Post by WHL »

staffie wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:26 am most vehicles now have automatic transmission, so leaving a hand free to use for various reasons, perhaps this a contribution for using a phone whilst driving.
Not in Cyprus, the amount of automatic cars in Cyprus, is minuscule,
in fact when I went to order one some years ago, the BMW salesman in Nicosia, seemed surprised and ask me why I wanted an automatic, as only physically disabled people bought them in Cyprus.
WHL

Post by WHL »

My neighbours son is a policeman, and he told me the other day, out of thirteen people who lost their lifes in road traffic accidents this year, nine of them were not wearing seat belts, no more to say.
boycott

Post by boycott »

WHL wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:49 am My neighbours son is a policeman, and he told me the other day, out of thirteen people who lost their lifes in road traffic accidents this year, nine of them were not wearing seat belts, no more to say.
I think your neighbours son may not have his facts correct - On average there is one death per week in Cyprus and a large percentage are motor cyclists so of course not wearing seats belts.

On a visit to the local Police Station the other day it was revealed that the staffing levels had altered from 4 per shift to 1 per shift and the area PSO had been relocated to Limassol centre and not replaced.
The sergeant also explained that the work load had gone up considerably due to people moving out of Limassol into the villages so for the local officers traffic offences are not a priority.
WHL

Post by WHL »

boycott wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:08 pm
WHL wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:49 am My neighbours son is a policeman, and he told me the other day, out of thirteen people who lost their lifes in road traffic accidents this year, nine of them were not wearing seat belts, no more to say.
I think your neighbours son may not have his facts correct - On average there is one death per week in Cyprus and a large percentage are motor cyclists so of course not wearing seats belts.

On a visit to the local Police Station the other day it was revealed that the staffing levels had altered from 4 per shift to 1 per shift and the area PSO had been relocated to Limassol centre and not replaced.
The sergeant also explained that the work load had gone up considerably due to people moving out of Limassol into the villages so for the local officers traffic offences are not a priority.
He was talking about people only in cars that were killed by not wearing seat belts, nothing to do with motor cyclists
daveg

Post by daveg »

Most modern Automatics are far superior to the old 3 speed autos..
Just purchased a new T Roc, 7 speed auto, similar to my old Yeti....an amazing gearbox....
WHL

Post by WHL »

Looks like its not only Cyprus that has a problem with phone use while driving

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... OVIES.html
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

daveg wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:03 pm Most modern Automatics are far superior to the old 3 speed autos..
Just purchased a new T Roc, 7 speed auto, similar to my old Yeti....an amazing gearbox....
Hi, Did you ever have the gearbox oil changed in the Yeti dsg?
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
staffie

Post by staffie »

not getting in any despute but wifey has seen many cars she likes, but not purchased yet, reason being, first thing she checks, it's not manual, so walks away, sorry to say this I've actually seen today a automatic car driver picking his nose with his spare left hand, how gross.
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

There are more automatic cars on the road than you think hardly minuscule and what Staffie says has some bearing to how certain people drive and use mobiles drinking eating or smoking whilst driving. If the police were intent on catching people using mobiles whilst driving they only have to set up a camera at the traffic lights along TOTK road for example and see how many people they would observe.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

More importantly they need to stop and fine people..
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I can assure you that seeing a police car is equally a rare sight for me as well
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I have the same requirements re finding a manual car, as your previous poster Staffie', whose wife also wanted a manual one.. A few years ago I was trying to buy a new small manual geared car. Particularly a Honda Jazz. I had many conversations with their salesman who kept trying to convince me that there was no demand for new manual cars in Cyprus, Then it emerged that Honda(Cyprus) didn't actually even order manual cars. So, persisting, I enquired if I ordered one, could they place a special order?
I was told that It might be possible, but it would be more expensive and it might take a longer time than their regular consignment of new cars. OK, I said I will wait for one,
so I waited, and waited for more news. I knew that Honda were still making manual cars,
Finally, after 3 months had gone by, during which I enquired regularly if a car could or had been ordered for me, I was told that, there was no demand for manual cars, I'd better by one of their automatics. I was disgusted and disappointed.
Went away, and bought a good 2nd had small manual car of a different make!

Dee
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Mouse. I agree with you! Besides, the more complex modern cars are, even when you have got used to their confusing array of switches and dials, you then become reliant on their on board computerized system. Then something goes wrong. No longer can you rely on the experienced but relatively less technological workshops and garages. Instead you must go back to the dealer you bought from for his computers analysis. Hard luck if you need this service outside Mon-Fri.
I also am happy with my cars 5 speed manual gear box. I can select the gear which conditions demand to get the best performance. And, most importantly, on long, steep downhill gradients, selecting low gears helps the engine to act as a brake to the car.
If, my mobile rings, or I want to make a call, simply pull off the road if possible to do this safely.
Why has the Cyprus motor trade decided that we can only buy new fully automatic vehicles?
Dee
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Kili01 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:50 pmAnd, most importantly, on long, steep downhill gradients, selecting low gears helps the engine to act as a brake to the car.
And so it does also with my continuously variable "gearbox" on my Lexus. It has a special position labelled B (presumably for braking under downhill conditions). It is quite effective, and keeps a more or less constant speed until the driver wishes to go faster or slower. In other words, engine braking is not very different to a manual gearbox. I have absolutely no complaints whatsoever about the Toyota/Lexus transmission system, particularly the extra torque from the electric motor under foot down acceleration.
For the anecdote, it passed the 44,444 km point yesterday!
staffie

Post by staffie »

sorry for going off topic, but my personal opinion is that we all see many drivers on phones etc, so easy to do with a auto gearbox, try yourself to have a phone conversation with a manual, let's hope the police (might) make the roads a little safer, be it for a short time, I think we have all had to brake sharply for a certain reason.
keep um peeled as shaw tailor used to say.
stay safe all.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I've yet to even see a police car patrolling on the roads around Paphos... rather disappointing!
Just sometimes our fairly static police presence in Chloraka.

Dee.