MEU1 required for holiday home?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
kansas

MEU1 required for holiday home?

Post by kansas »

If you have a holiday home here in Cyprus, and spend your 'allowed' time in it each year, but are resident in the UK, will you need an MEU1 when Brexit finally occurs?
Lincoln

Re: MEU1 required for holiday home?

Post by Lincoln »

As far as I am aware. If you spend more than 90 days on one visit you have to apply for an MEU-1 There are now stringent airport checks.
All things are possible
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

That is my understanding of the rules.. In the past many have just not bothered... Maybe if they get refused entry it will be too late for them to sort it out..
Trev..
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

It’s 90 days in the EU in any 6 month period as far as I recall.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

On similar note, has anyone on here who has holiday home or rental home, gained an MEU3 using bills and income proof?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jimgward wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:32 am It’s 90 days in the EU in any 6 month period as far as I recall.
So trying to understand this,if someone spends a month in France or Spain for example, that time is added on to time spend here?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Well the rule is there... If you stay longer than 90 days in a 180 day period you have to register with the immigration office
Trev..
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

trevnhil wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:10 pm Well the rule is there... If you stay longer than 90 days in a 180 day period you have to register with the immigration office
Exactly right.

And non-EU citizens should get an MEU2.

All passports are scanned upon arrival and exit, so it's not too difficult for immigration to see how long a person spends in Cyprus. In the pre-EU days, your passport had a visa stamp on entry and departure and if you applied for a pink slip, immigration could check your comings and goings over the last few years.

And, why wouldn't you want an MEU1? €20 well spent, I think.
CYWALL

Post by CYWALL »

We have been here for fourteen years owning our home, we applied for and got the MEU1 after six months of living here, this was before Cyprus was in the EU. It's the yellow slip with no expiry date on it, It was all to do with residency not about being in the EU, so I don't see how it, or the MEU3 for that matter keeps getting connected to being in the EU. As we own our home here It allows us to return and stay for as long and as many times as we want is our understanding. Come January 1st I cannot see anything changing, it's a Cyprus 'thing'.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Lots of speculation, all will be clear in a few months
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Well Cywall are you still living here? If so, how could you be unaware that there have been many meetings between representatives of the British High Commission and British residents in all areas, in the south and north areas. As you must know, the UK looks very likely to leave the EU on the 31st Dec. This is going to result in changes for British expats. Currently we are classed as EU residents in an EU country, of which our country is a member. When Britain leaves the EU we will become '3rd country nationals. This WILl affect our right to live here, which is why most Brits have obtained, or are currently doing so, either an MEU 1, or if they have been resident for more than 5 yrs an MEU3. These are necessary to continue to live here legally.These we are told will protect our right to continue to live here after Britain leaves the EU. We have been told that the MEU 3 will probably be exchanged for some new residents permit in due course.
I don't think that livIng here for 14 yrs, you were living here before Cyprus joined the EU. But prior to that, British residents had to register with Immigration, and were issued with a pink slip, valid for either 1 or 3 years. These were dated and had to be renewed before expiry. The pink slip became a yellow slip, the colour just related to the colour of the bit of paper used. They were not called MEU's even when Cyprus became a member of the EU, the MEU forms were issued subsequently to the British vote to leave the EU.
Lots of speculation, all will be clear in a few months time.
Dee
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

I have had a holiday home in Paphos for 30 Years but never stayed for more than 3 months in a year so never had to apply, I also had a duty free car which I assume will once again be an option for me.

They were very strict on entry and departure checking to make sure you had not over stayed. One time they misread my passport and stopped me from going through customs, I nearly missed my flight.

Gary
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, this was all true. So far, nothing has been said about 'duty free' cars though. I think that we will have to wait and see what happens about that!

What has been written though is that when the UK leaves the EU, it will be possible to visit for up to 3 months, but having done so, a person will not be able to visit again for a defined number of months. I can't remember the exact wording. Maybe someone else does?

Dee
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Reading some of the posts, I cannot help but recall Gray's words, "where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise."
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Stop it Devil. There is no need to keep on insulting people unnecessarily. I am getting sick of it.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

One couple who own a holiday apartment in our block have their MEU1 in preparation for Brexit.

Several posts on FB where people have gone ahead or intend to get MEU1 before 31 December 2020. It will certainly give more flexibility for future visits.
josef k

Post by josef k »

DavidatLWH wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:27 pm
And non-EU citizens should get an MEU2.

MEU2s are for non-EU spouses of EU citizens (who have a MEU1 or 3). Any other non-EU person needs to obtain a visa prior to entry if they intend to stay more than 90 days. Nationals of certain countries need a visa for stays of any duration. Schengen visa holders can use their visa for entry in certain circumstances. For non-EU citizens, the duration of visits in total should not exceed three months in any half of a year from the date of the first visit

Another point is that MEU1s and 3s contain a reference to the relevant EU legislation regarding freedom of movement and residence. Yellow slips issued before Cyprus joined the EU, and therefore don't have this reference, are no longer valid in the same way that pink slips and brown alien books are no longer valid, and should have been replaced with the appropriate MEU a number of years ago