Does David Cameron regret the referendum...

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half hour youtube video. Also, we want you to win your debate by the strength of your argument. Attacking your opponent weakens your argument.
User avatar
Happy in Cyprus
Posts: 4245
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:08 am
Location: Ha Potami, Kouklia
Contact:

Does David Cameron regret the referendum...

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:47 am

The former prime minister has also admitted that some people will "never forgive him" for calling the 2016 vote.
By Tom Gillespie. Friday 13 September 2019

David Cameron said a second Brexit referendum can't be ruled out "because we're stuck" - but admits some people will "never forgive him" for holding the EU vote that took place in 2016.

The former prime minister made the remarks in an interview with The Times ahead of the publication of his 752-page memoir For The Record next week.

"Some people will never forgive me for holding a referendum. Others for holding it and losing it," he said in the interview.

"There are, of course, all those people who wanted a referendum and wanted to leave who are glad that a promise was made and a promise was kept."

Asked if he has people shout at him, he said: "I've had some robust exchanges."

Mr Cameron also said he recognises "the uncertainty has been painful and difficult" since the referendum, adding that "it's been difficult for all sorts of people in all sorts of walks of life".

Asked "how hard" life has been for him personally since the referendum result, Mr Cameron said: "I think about this every day.

"Every single day I think about it, the referendum and the fact that we lost and the consequences and the things that could have been done differently, and I worry desperately about what is going to happen next."

Mr Cameron was asked about whether he has trouble sleeping.

He replied: "I worry about it a lot. I worry about it a lot."

The former prime minister also revealed that the morning after losing the EU referendum he phoned the then US president Barack Obama and Europe's leaders to tell them he was "sorry" for the outcome.

Mr Cameron said that he wished Boris Johnson well when he became prime minister and "wanted him to get a deal from the EU that would have passed in the House of Commons".

He added that Mr Johnson's decisions to remove the whip from "hard-working Conservative MPs" and prorogue parliament have "rebounded".

Mr Cameron said he "didn't support either of those things" and he doesn't think "a no-deal Brexit is a good idea".

The former prime minister also refers to his former education secretary Michael Gove, who was a prominent Leave campaigner, as "mendacious" in the book.

Mr Cameron said in the interview that the Leave campaign "left the truth at home" with regards to claims about Turkey and "the £350m on the bus".

He added that the "latent Leaver gene" in his party was "much stronger" than he thought.

In his book Mr Cameron describes how he wanted to demote Mr Gove from education secretary to chief whip in 2014 because he was alienating teachers.

When Mr Gove refused to budge, the then prime minister told him: "You are either a team player or a w*****."

Mr Cameron said he believes he put the remark in a text.

He added that Mr Gove also promised him he would not play a leading part in the Leave campaign.

Andrew Billen, The Times journalist who interviewed Mr Cameron, told Sky News: "I think the great charge that he is open to is that he is complacent, that he doesn't really care.

"People think 'his life is OK, he's a rich man'... and this is water off a duck's back.

"It was very clear to me that he does care. I asked if he had been depressed and he said 'very depressed'.

"I asked whether it was clinical and he said he had not been taking medication."

WHL
Posts: 2763
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:43 pm

Re: Does David Cameron regret the referendum...

Post by WHL » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:22 am

I think Cameron is the last person to lecture any one, considering how the decisions he made regards Syria and Libya, caused thousands of deaths, that should keep him up at night rather then the referendum.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/li ... 63306.html

Jimgym
Posts: 974
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:37 am
Location: Paphos

Re: Does David Cameron regret the referendum...

Post by Jimgym » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:32 am

WHL wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:22 am
I think Cameron is the last person to lecture any one, considering how the decisions he made regards Syria and Libya, caused thousands of deaths, that should keep him up at night rather then the referendum.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/li ... 63306.html
Unfortunately I don’t think it will. Odious man on a par with Blair.

Firefly
Posts: 1770
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:08 pm
Location: Hereford UK

Re: Does David Cameron regret the referendum...

Post by Firefly » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:41 pm

The only thing that he should worry about is lying through his teeth to the British people. We can see through the lies, and these are no doubt more lies, and if he can't sleep, good, he doesn't deserve to. This mess is all because he thought his 'project fear' would win, hence he had no need to prepare for Brexit.

The sheer arrogance of the man is unbelievable.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

User avatar
Happy in Cyprus
Posts: 4245
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:08 am
Location: Ha Potami, Kouklia
Contact:

Re: Does David Cameron regret the referendum...

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:57 am

Firefly wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:41 pm
This mess is all because he thought his 'project fear' would win, hence he had no need to prepare for Brexit.

No, the mess is because twerps who didn't realise what they were voting for were suckered in by the lies of Boris and Farage and voted to leave the EU - our nearest, closest and largest trading partner. The same partner which enables expats like us to freely live, work, study, research or run a business in any one of 28 countries of our choosing.

BTW...and you're saying Boris isn't an accomplished liar? :shock: Boris and Gove wrote the book on lying.

I don't have particularly strong views either way on Cameron. But like Blair he caused hundreds of thousands on innocent civilians to die needlessly.

User avatar
kingfisher
Posts: 388
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:30 am
Location: μελισσοβουνος 14 years

Re: Does David Cameron regret the referendum...

Post by kingfisher » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:26 am

So 17.4 million voters, including me, are “twerps” and suckers, Lloyd?
What a silly comment.
Jon

Jim B
Posts: 1234
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

Re: Does David Cameron regret the referendum...

Post by Jim B » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:15 am

Jon
I think the quote by Abraham Lincoln really covers it and goes something like; " You can fool some of the people all of the time and you can fool all of the people some of the time but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.
Cameron is suggesting Blojo and Gove conned a large number of those who voted leave. I'm sure many voted with the courage of their convictions but many also voted on the strength of false promises made by Blojo, Gove and Farage.
Jim

Jimgym
Posts: 974
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:37 am
Location: Paphos

Re: Does David Cameron regret the referendum...

Post by Jimgym » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:15 pm

Jim B wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:15 am
Jon
I think the quote by Abraham Lincoln really covers it and goes something like; " You can fool some of the people all of the time and you can fool all of the people some of the time but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.
Cameron is suggesting Blojo and Gove conned a large number of those who voted leave. I'm sure many voted with the courage of their convictions but many also voted on the strength of false promises made by Blojo, Gove and Farage.
Jim
However people voted there is absolutely no need for people on here, usually Loyd, to repeatedly name call. It's quite pathetic. Many people vote on false promises in every election, it's the nature of the beast.

outasite
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:21 pm

Re: Does David Cameron regret the referendum...

Post by outasite » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:37 pm

Happy in Cyprus wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:57 am
Firefly wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:41 pm
This mess is all because he thought his 'project fear' would win, hence he had no need to prepare for Brexit.

No, the mess is because twerps who didn't realise what they were voting for were suckered in by the lies of Boris and Farage and voted to leave the EU - our nearest, closest and largest trading partner. The same partner which enables expats like us to freely live, work, study, research or run a business in any one of 28 countries of our choosing.

BTW...and you're saying Boris isn't an accomplished liar? :shock: Boris and Gove wrote the book on lying.

I don't have particularly strong views either way on Cameron. But like Blair he caused hundreds of thousands on innocent civilians to die needlessly.

I do wish you would quit with your sanctimonious blathering. How DARE you refer to me, a Leaver, as a twerp.
Your only objection is that you might, might, have to pay duty and suffer a couple of extra days wait for your goods.
I voted Leave because I was lied to in 1975. I did not for a second believe the blurb on the bus. I couldn't give a fiddler's fart for immigration, as long as they have jobs to come to.
I lived in Cyprus for 14 years, and during that time your precious European Union STOLE money from people because the Cyprus government ballsed up,.......as usual.
You are not usually worth my annoyance at your 3 years worth of vitriol and digs at 17.4 million people, but once again you're banging on about us 17.4 million twerps.
Put a bloody sock in it, for once.

Jim B
Posts: 1234
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

Re: Does David Cameron regret the referendum...

Post by Jim B » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:12 pm

Jimgym wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:15 pm
Jim B wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:15 am
Jon
I think the quote by Abraham Lincoln really covers it and goes something like; " You can fool some of the people all of the time and you can fool all of the people some of the time but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.
Cameron is suggesting Blojo and Gove conned a large number of those who voted leave. I'm sure many voted with the courage of their convictions but many also voted on the strength of false promises made by Blojo, Gove and Farage.
Jim
However people voted there is absolutely no need for people on here, usually Loyd, to repeatedly name call. It's quite pathetic. Many people vote on false promises in every election, it's the nature of the beast.
Alan
I quite agree but wasn't Kingfisher name calling the other day calling us Leavers "Traitors"? It works both ways, is being called a Twerp (A silly or annoying person) worse than calling someone you disagree with a Traitor?
It works both ways don't you think?

Jim

User avatar
kingfisher
Posts: 388
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:30 am
Location: μελισσοβουνος 14 years

Re: Does David Cameron regret the referendum...

Post by kingfisher » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:17 pm

Jim- I do not regard you or any other Remain voter as a “traitor”, nor have I ever said so.
The only time I recall using the word was in the passage below specifically relating to certain MPs- and I meant it. I’d have used some appropriate Anglo-Saxon expletives in addition, but not on this forum!

“Re: So, the Autocratic Dictator Johnson is Proroguing parliament. Very democratic. » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:05 am
"This short-sighted culling of my colleagues has stripped the party of broad-minded and dedicated Conservative MPs.
She called it an "assault on decency and democracy" after the prime minister sacked 21 "talented, loyal One Nation Conservatives".

For the above rhetoric read:
An essential and decisive action to remove twenty- odd blinkered Europhile traitors, who had shown undisguised contempt for the electorate with their “coup”. That was the real “assault on decency and democracy”- drain the swamp of these untalented EU weasels.
Jon.”

Jim B
Posts: 1234
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

Re: Does David Cameron regret the referendum...

Post by Jim B » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:46 pm

Jon
Let's not get into he said this or I said that
I did mention it in a comment to Jimgym but I'm too old to remember where or when so I'll take you at your word.

Jim

Firefly
Posts: 1770
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:08 pm
Location: Hereford UK

Re: Does David Cameron regret the referendum...

Post by Firefly » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:56 pm

Outasite

I too take exception to Lloyd's personal attacks on Brexit voters.

As advised by Admin, I have made a complaint to that effect. Will it do any good ? We shall see.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

outasite
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:21 pm

Re: Does David Cameron regret the referendum...

Post by outasite » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:21 pm

Firefly wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:56 pm
Outasite

I too take exception to Lloyd's personal attacks on Brexit voters.

As advised by Admin, I have made a complaint to that effect. Will it do any good ? We shall see.

I don't mind people having views on the outcome of the vote, but his obvious glee at the total screw up that has happened, all down to the 650 in parliament, does not IMO give him carte blanche to keep commenting about Leave voters in the snidey way he does. I await Admin's comments.

Jim B
Posts: 1234
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

Re: Does David Cameron regret the referendum...

Post by Jim B » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:58 am

Outasite
I don't believe anyone on the site gets any satisfaction in the state of play, least of all HIC whos business wil be adversely affect by Brexit on a day to day basis.
It's very frustrating when you ask every day the reasoning why people voted leave and very few can provide a constructive answer. When asked about what EU Laws they don't like, I've yet to see one Leaver give an example. You all see sovereignty in action in parliament but because it doesn't go the way Leavers expect the MPs are all "Traitors". Even Blojos government document, Yellowhammer has been called Project Fear because it doesn't sit well with Leavers ideas of how Brexit is going to work out.

You're the only person I've seen who has given a constructive reason for voting leave but have you actually read the reports over the Cyprus Haircut.
As I've stated many times I'm not very financially aware but it does make interesting reading. Cyprus got into the mess by trying to bail Greece out of its own mess. It doesn't appear to be as strait forward as you make out as a lot of the responsibility falls on the government of the day.
If being called a "Twerp" upsets people, they must have led a very sheltered life.

Jim

Les Bean
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:43 pm

Re: Does David Cameron regret the referendum...

Post by Les Bean » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:09 am

My reaction mirrors that of Jim's, but could I just ask you Outasite if you live permanently here, because for many of us who do the possibility of loss of health care and a weak pound v the euro are big reasons to be against leaving with no deal. Those living in the UK, these are of little consequence

outasite
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:21 pm

Re: Does David Cameron regret the referendum...

Post by outasite » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:46 am

To Jim B and Les Bean.....
I have read and appreciate your replies. Of course the term 'twerp' doesn't make me break out in an outrageous sweat. HiC's comments over the last three years have done nothing but espouse a doom and gloom scenario. He, like every single one of us has no idea what will happen and just seems - to me at least - to assume the very worst. The Uk parliament now demands sight of all correspondence and as soon as Operation Yellowhammer was published every single remainer MP screeched the the end is nigh and the UK was a busted flush. This was a think tanks "worst case scenario" not that this was what will actually happen.
Regarding Cyprus helping out Greece, well so be it. The UK helps out many countries. My beef is the fact that Merkel and Co just told the weak Cyprus government to take money from all accounts in the 2 (I believe) main banks, on all amounts over €100,000. That to me is outright theft and totally unforgivable.
Verkofstadt or however he spells it wants a United Federal States of Europe. I bloody don't. As I said I voted Leave this time because I swallowed the lies of the politicians of the day who had already agreed a Superstate scenario behind closed doors.
I could go on and on but my main beef is the smug comments that HiC keeps spouting. He won't stop, and I dread to think how he 'll feel if his doom and gloom scenario doesn't actually come true.

Jim B
Posts: 1234
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

Re: Does David Cameron regret the referendum...

Post by Jim B » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:25 am

Outasite
Just a couple of points and not meaning to be pedantic but with reference to Yellowhammer. The initial version leaked to the press had a title "Base Case Scenario" wereas the version released had a title "Worst Case Scenario", same document different titles. A base case scenario basically means how things will stand which is totally different to a "Worst Case Scenario".
With regards to the banks chosen to have the haircut; as I wrote, it's not as straight forward as it appears.
Jim

WHL
Posts: 2763
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:43 pm

Re: Does David Cameron regret the referendum...

Post by WHL » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:54 pm

If people get their knickers in a twist, because someone calls them a twerp, then really public forums might not be for you, have we really got to the point were people complain to Dominic, over the word twerp, feel free to call me that, I promise I will not need counselling. :roll:

Les Bean
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:43 pm

Re: Does David Cameron regret the referendum...

Post by Les Bean » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:59 pm

Aside from all the pros and cons differences between the 2 differing viewpoints, does anyone on here really believe Blojo is altruistic in his "do or die, I'll break the law if necessary to leave on 31 Oct" because that's delivering the referendum result?

Post Reply