Cyprus has fifth most expensive bread, cereals in EU28 (table)

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
User avatar
memory man
Posts: 2873
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:30 am
Location: HERE

Cyprus has fifth most expensive bread, cereals in EU28 (table)

Post by memory man » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:04 am

Cyprus had the fifth most expensive bread and cereals in the European Union in 2018 according to figures published by Eurostat on Friday.

These showed that last year the price of bread and cereals across the EU was more than three times as high in the most expensive Member State than in the cheapest one.

When price levels in countries are compared with the EU average price level index of 100, the results show that in 2018, the price of bread and cereals was highest in Denmark (with a price level index of 152), followed by Austria (135), Luxembourg and Finland (both 127).

Cyprus and Sweden were the fifth most expensive (both 123).

In contrast, the price levels for bread and cereals in 2018 were lowest in Romania (with a price level index of 54), followed by Bulgaria (62) and Poland (68).

Image




https://in-cyprus.com/cyprus-has-fifth- ... u28-table/
Image

WHL
Posts: 2886
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:43 pm

Re: Cyprus has fifth most expensive bread, cereals in EU28 (table)

Post by WHL » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:32 am

Swings and roundabouts, meat/ fresh veg, is cheap.

User avatar
Devil
Posts: 1158
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:34 am
Location: Mosfiloti

Re: Cyprus has fifth most expensive bread, cereals in EU28 (table)

Post by Devil » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:42 am

Is it a surprise? Here, you have wheat grown in fields no bigger than a pocket handkerchief, so small a combine harvester would be bigger! Within 5 km of here, I've seen 7 patches of wheat ranging, by eye, from estimated 100 m² to 300 m². Where is the economy of scale in that?

STELIOSBWFC
Posts: 393
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:08 pm
Location: Salford

Re: Cyprus has fifth most expensive bread, cereals in EU28 (table)

Post by STELIOSBWFC » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:57 pm

I have always found bakery products priced well in places like Alpha and years ago the bakery in Orphanides was so cheap

Kili01
Posts: 1540
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:41 am

Re: Cyprus has fifth most expensive bread, cereals in EU28 (table)

Post by Kili01 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:15 pm

I have noticed that many types of breakfast cereals are considerably more expensive here than in the UK. There seem to be all sorts of excuses for this.Ranging from Cyprus is a small market, shipping is expensive etc. However many food items are bought and distributed by a single wholesaler, who presumably can set the local wholesale prices. Then it is up to the individual store or supermarket or kiosk to set their own retain price.. or maybe that is controlled by another body?
Also the prices of health and vitamin products in Pharmacies here are often up to 2 to 3 times what they are sold for in the UK, say. I don’t buy these in Cyprus, getting things I need either by on line ordering or on a visit to the UK.
Dee

User avatar
Devil
Posts: 1158
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:34 am
Location: Mosfiloti

Re: Cyprus has fifth most expensive bread, cereals in EU28 (table)

Post by Devil » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:02 pm

I'm quite happy to pay for my Weetabix, about 10 c per piece.

User avatar
Happy in Cyprus
Posts: 4385
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:08 am
Location: Ha Potami, Kouklia
Contact:

Re: Cyprus has fifth most expensive bread, cereals in EU28 (table)

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:44 pm

Kili01 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:15 pm
There seem to be all sorts of excuses for this.Ranging from Cyprus is a small market, shipping is expensive etc.
Aren't those valid reasons though? Mass market = cheap prices, limited market = higher prices?

Do you know how much it costs to bring a container from the UK to Cyprus? It runs into thousands. Do you know how many packs of bulky boxes of full-of-air cereals you get in a container? Not a lot, compared with other retail commodities.

WHL
Posts: 2886
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:43 pm

Re: Cyprus has fifth most expensive bread, cereals in EU28 (table)

Post by WHL » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:48 pm

Happy in Cyprus wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:44 pm
Kili01 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:15 pm
There seem to be all sorts of excuses for this.Ranging from Cyprus is a small market, shipping is expensive etc.
Aren't those valid reasons though? Mass market = cheap prices, limited market = higher prices?

Do you know how much it costs to bring a container from the UK to Cyprus? It runs into thousands. Do you know how many packs of bulky boxes of full-of-air cereals you get in a container? Not a lot, compared with other retail commodities.
You hit the nail on the head

User avatar
mike strand2
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:30 am
Location: Kissonerga

Re: Cyprus has fifth most expensive bread, cereals in EU28 (table)

Post by mike strand2 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:57 pm

Malta too is small, but their price for bread & cereals is lower! Surely what goes for Malta, should go for Cyprus!?

WHL
Posts: 2886
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:43 pm

Re: Cyprus has fifth most expensive bread, cereals in EU28 (table)

Post by WHL » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:53 pm

I can get a large sliced loaf of white bread for one euro, hardly expensive, or six large pitta breads for 99c, no rip off there, if you want the Uk frozen bread then dont moan if they charge two or three euro, or what ever they charge

User avatar
Happy in Cyprus
Posts: 4385
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:08 am
Location: Ha Potami, Kouklia
Contact:

Re: Cyprus has fifth most expensive bread, cereals in EU28 (table)

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:31 am

mike strand2 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:57 pm
Malta too is small, but their price for bread & cereals is lower! Surely what goes for Malta, should go for Cyprus!?

Good point. Think you need to start knocking on the doors of all the breadmakers in Cyprus to remind them of the error of their ways :lol:

Austin7
Posts: 1251
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:05 pm
Location: Tala - the not so posh as Kamares bit

Re: Cyprus has fifth most expensive bread, cereals in EU28 (table)

Post by Austin7 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:56 am

We don't buy bread, we make it all in an excellent Panasonic bread maker. 8-)

WHL
Posts: 2886
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:43 pm

Re: Cyprus has fifth most expensive bread, cereals in EU28 (table)

Post by WHL » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:08 am

This is a good read, and personally why I give the cereal rubbish a wide berth.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... y-lawrence


Austin7
Posts: 1251
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:05 pm
Location: Tala - the not so posh as Kamares bit

Re: Cyprus has fifth most expensive bread, cereals in EU28 (table)

Post by Austin7 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:50 am

WHL wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:08 am
This is a good read, and personally why I give the cereal rubbish a wide berth.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... y-lawrence
Interesting? Maybe, but I got bored less than half way through it! :lol:

WHL
Posts: 2886
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:43 pm

Re: Cyprus has fifth most expensive bread, cereals in EU28 (table)

Post by WHL » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:53 am

Austin7 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:50 am
WHL wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:08 am
This is a good read, and personally why I give the cereal rubbish a wide berth.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... y-lawrence
Interesting? Maybe, but I got bored less than half way through it! :lol:
Watch the Video, Dr Kellogg's made his cornflakes to try and stop people masturbating, man did he get that wrong, :shock: :lol:

User avatar
Jimgward
Posts: 2257
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:14 pm
Location: Lanark
Contact:

Re: Cyprus has fifth most expensive bread, cereals in EU28 (table)

Post by Jimgward » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:02 am

If you paid for foodstuff by taste, bread in the UK supermarkets should be 5p a loaf. Fruit and Veg should be free and Pork 50p a Kg.....

User avatar
LouiseCastricum
Posts: 901
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:10 am
Location: Pegeia/Peyia/Πέγεια since 1994

Re: Cyprus has fifth most expensive bread, cereals in EU28 (table)

Post by LouiseCastricum » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:39 am

Jimgward wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:02 am
If you paid for foodstuff by taste, bread in the UK supermarkets should be 5p a loaf. Fruit and Veg should be free and Pork 50p a Kg.....
ha ha ! :lol:
Louise :)

Les Bean
Posts: 280
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:43 pm

Re: Cyprus has fifth most expensive bread, cereals in EU28 (table)

Post by Les Bean » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:11 pm

Jimgward wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:02 am
If you paid for foodstuff by taste, bread in the UK supermarkets should be 5p a loaf. Fruit and Veg should be free and Pork 50p a Kg.....
👍😁

Lucky Lady
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:39 am

Re: Cyprus has fifth most expensive bread, cereals in EU28 (table)

Post by Lucky Lady » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:53 pm

Pay cheap, get rubbish - we pay 1.80 euros for excellent whole grain bread - worth every cent. Why would I want bland, white, awful stuff for 30p from Tesco. 😀

STELIOSBWFC
Posts: 393
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:08 pm
Location: Salford

Re: Cyprus has fifth most expensive bread, cereals in EU28 (table)

Post by STELIOSBWFC » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:03 pm

WHL wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:53 am
Austin7 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:50 am
WHL wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:08 am
This is a good read, and personally why I give the cereal rubbish a wide berth.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... y-lawrence
Interesting? Maybe, but I got bored less than half way through it! :lol:
Watch the Video, Dr Kellogg's made his cornflakes to try and stop people masturbating, man did he get that wrong, :shock: :lol:
So basically you are saying you are a corn flake munching w@nker :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post Reply