SOS TV

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
Paphianclive

Re: SOS TV

Post by Paphianclive »

Still nothing from my Mag 250 (SS). Do I need to update any software on the box? If so, how do I do it?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Paphianclive wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:12 pm Still nothing from my Mag 250 (SS). Do I need to update any software on the box? If so, how do I do it?
I would contact your supplier.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Son of Oldtimer

Post by Son of Oldtimer »

My Mag Box started working again yesterday sometime whilst I was at work. Maybe 24 hrs later than that of Oldtimer.
This evening more movies & series are listed although not all work at present. Program guide on a lot of channels also now working.
The service is being rapidly rebuilt but it is understandable that it will take some time to complete the work.
I suspect the time delay between various people being able to access the service is that the provider is also having to manually rebuild the customer database so the system recognises the Mag Box as belonging to a subscribing account. Both Mag Boxes ( mine & that of Oldtimer ) are relatively new ones, about 2 and 1 year old respectively, and at different geographical locations, UK & Germany.
My original subscription expiry date was early April. It is now shown as early June.
darrow

Post by darrow »

Mine is up now but "S" had to come and manually reset. The newer boxes need to be reset while the older mag boxes come on automatically. He was in and out in 10 mins, lots of upgrades to do! He has to go back to UK. soon for his fathers funeral, who sadly, died while on his last visit. A difficult time for him and some people!e have not been as understanding as they might have been!
JimX

Post by JimX »

Sure it is not the older Mag250 that needs manually resetting as mine did yesterday? now working but some way to go for it is fully operational but very happy with provider for the reboot.

''Still nothing from my Mag 250 (SS). Do I need to update any software on the box? If so, how do I do it?''

Clive you will need to speak to your provider, they will be able to reset your Mag, you cannot normally do this yourself as they need to "flash the unit" with a flash drive.
Last edited by JimX on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim.
malsue

Post by malsue »

Allesley wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:11 am Sure it is not the older Mag250 that needs manually resetting as mine did yesterday? now working but some way to go for it is fully operational but very happy with Simon for the reboot.

''Still nothing from my Mag 250 (SS). Do I need to update any software on the box? If so, how do I do it?''

Clive you will need to speak to your provider, they will be able to reset your Mag, you cannot normally do this yourself as they need to "flash the unit" with a flash drive.

I have sent you a PM
Mal
exodus

Post by exodus »

Hudswell wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:10 am You are probably right....but as the old saying goes "you can run but you can't hide". The end users ie "us" are not a problem and I am sure will never be targetted. But those hosting server farms and Installing, Operating and Maintaining the farms will continues to be a focus of attention. And to be honest if I was engaged in openly advertising and selling the "service" I think I would be balancing profit against being fined and potentially closed down.
Or put another way: "they can run but they can't hide". Only a matter of time I think.
Amos.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Yes, I was told it was a preemptive move to close servers down while everything was under the spotlight. Not to say that it may happen again but let's enjoy it while we can.
exodus

Post by exodus »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:18 pm Another saying better fts the bill: "they won the battle, but have lost the war".

iptv will not be shut down anytime soon...and is here to stay. The genie is out of the bottle. Look at the pirate radio stations in the 1960s: a small number were nobbled, but the vast majority survived until the airwaves were liberalised and the market opened up. How many independent broadcasters are there now? But it was the pirates who led the way and provided commercial direction and opportunity.

If Sky and others were to offer an iptv service, with a sizeable choice of channels and streamed movies at a reasonable price (ie. what we have now), the official broadcasters might stand a chance; otherwise the black market will continue to dominate. To whit, just one month on from the s**t hitting the fan and most people are back up and running with as much choice as they had previously.

Correct, legal IPTV is not dead and not likely to be.
However illegal IPTV is feeling the strong arm of the law, and probably is now on borrowed time.
Regards SKY that is exactly what SKY have said they intend to come up with, this year. I guess it might be a part of
the takeover bid for SKY by FOX + Disney Et Al.
I'm waiting for that SKY product to be available, which hopefully will have some USA channels also.
Anybody currently buying IPTV services would be well advised to only pay (say) 1 month's sub in advance.
I think that is also what Hudswell was suggesting.
Amos.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

It will be a LONG time before legal IPTV allows BBC et al to be available outside the UK, including Sky offering channels, such as sports, outside the UK. The premiership, as an example, make billions selling to the middle-easy and Asia.... they'll need some convincing to allow Sky to usurp that.

IPTV will, as Lloyd says, force the broadcasters to rethink. The content owners can licence for a worldwide audience and make a fortune. The quality of British TV is far exceeded US and other, as well as less adverts and more content. No US channel, as an example would fund the creation of Blue Planet.

As to wanting US TV, not for me.... Fox news is an insult to intellect, as are many of their religious and 'entertainment' channels.

It took the illegal copying and distribution of CDs to force the music distributors to talk to Apple about iTunes. Maybe it needs an Elon Musk to revolutionise live media distribution.

I have an IPTV system in the UK, but I also pay Sky for their service.... as it's right to do so.... I would do the same if available in Cyprus. It won't be for a very long time.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Given that the issue appears to have been resolved, I am locking this thread.

Feel free to start another one to debate the future of IPTV.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.