Cyprus Talks end in Geneva with no agreement, and now Erdogan has his say

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
paphos

Re: Cyprus Talks end in Geneva with no agreement, and now Erdogan has his say

Post by paphos »

Jersey wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:47 pm The only people who hope the talks fail. are the cheapskate ex-pats who bought stolen property in the north..
I trust that does not include people who bought genuine pre 74 titled property.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

So you would be quite happy to live your life for the next 20 years or so with no control over it whatsoever then! :o

Shane
Sorry Shane but I don't understand what you mean. Can you name me anywhere else in a democratic society where a minority group gets a guaranteed representation or presidency without it being by ballot box vote? It the full population of the occupied area stays and joins, they will have almost a 40% representation anyway so there's is a fair enough chance of good representation in the House of Representatives and, in the future, of a good Turkish Cypriot presidential candidate coming through the ranks. Putting in fixed terms and quotas doesn't allow for full integration. This is all of course dependant on all Cypriots being able to work it out without the interference from Turkey.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

paphos wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:42 pm
Jersey wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:47 pm The only people who hope the talks fail. are the cheapskate ex-pats who bought stolen property in the north..
I trust that does not include people who bought genuine pre 74 titled property.
Quite so - people like us!
We bought from a Turkish Cypriot family who had built the house in 1922 and owned it ever since until we bought it from them.
Geoff.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The only way that there will be a Turkish Cypriot leader that makes any sense to me, is if all the parties throw away their religeous roots and operate on a policy basis. Effectively, make it all secular. Have GC and TC in the same party. Have different parties based on political rather than religeous leanings.

Then one day, there will be a TC leader, like there was a black president of the USA etc.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Totally agree with you Dominic which is why there's should not be quotas as such. There are people of all religious groups for example in the U.K. who are members of the Labour and Conservatives parties etc. It's the political beliefs that unite them. If you define that certain areas of the country should be represented by a specific group of people, you will never achieve this. It would be better to throw it open and watch it develop. There will definitely be common political goals by all Cypriots such as welfare, education and employment that are nothing to do with religious beliefs.

Jeanne
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Dominic wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:22 pm The only way that there will be a Turkish Cypriot leader that makes any sense to me, is if all the parties throw away their religeous roots and operate on a policy basis. Effectively, make it all secular. Have GC and TC in the same party. Have different parties based on political rather than religeous leanings.

Then one day, there will be a TC leader, like there was a black president of the USA etc.
I think you will find that most ethnic Cypriots are living together where they have to & would not notice any difference if it was made formalised! Unfortunately, there are still some (getting less each year though) who hang on to the past! Sound famiiar ............... :roll:

Shane
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

ApusApus wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:11 pm
Dominic wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:22 pm The only way that there will be a Turkish Cypriot leader that makes any sense to me, is if all the parties throw away their religeous roots and operate on a policy basis. Effectively, make it all secular. Have GC and TC in the same party. Have different parties based on political rather than religeous leanings.

I think you will find that most ethnic Cypriots are living together where they have to & would not notice any difference if it was made formalised! Unfortunately, there are still some (getting less each year though) who hang on to the past! Sound famiiar ............... :roll:

Shane
They can be sharing the same house and it would make no difference. Until their political parties are divided along political rather than religious boundaries, there will always be these issues.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Those that hang on to the past either don't want a settlement at all or want everything one way. Erdogan's current stance will not get a yes vote any day of the week so as you say, you think he has a point, that is fine but it will not result in a solution. He insisted on troops remaining in Annan 5 and we all know how that went! That it what dialogue is all about - finding common goals and making compromises (both sides). I would genuinely like to vote for a solution and am ready to compromise on many issues but a significant number of Turkish troops remaining on the island is not one of them. I genuinely hope some place in the middle can be found for all disputed issues.

Jeanne
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I have split this thread. All the wild accusations have been moved to the pit. Please keep this topic cordial. You don't have to like each other, but if you want to pick a fight with somebody, do it elsewhere.
paphos

Post by paphos »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:03 pm Wow, just read this in the Cyprus Mail...what an incentive to reach an agreement!

EU Commission to give Cyprus €3.1 billion euro in case of solution
JANUARY 14TH, 2017 CNA NEWS SERVICE CYPRUS,

The European Commission will allocate €3.1 billion in case of a solution of the Cyprus problem, Commission President Jean Claude Juncker told the Conference on Cyprus, in Geneva, reliable sources have told the Cyprus News Agency (CNA).

They said President Juncker informed the Conference on Thursday that the money will come from the Multiannual Financial Framework.

President Anastasiades and Turkish Cypriot leader Mustafa Akinci have been engaged in UN-led talks since May 2015 with a view to reunite the island under a federal roof.

The Conference on Cyprus convened in Geneva, under the auspices of the Secretary-General of the United Nations, with the participation of President Anastasiades, Akinci, the Foreign Ministers of Greece, Turkey and the United Kingdom as guarantor powers in the presence of the European Union.
Also lets not forget that in addition to this 3.1 billion windfall any solution would smooth the arguments over the huge oil and gas reserves that are due to be developed offshore.
Jersey

Post by Jersey »

Dominic wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:35 am I have split this thread. All the wild accusations have been moved to the pit. Please keep this topic cordial. You don't have to like each other, but if you want to pick a fight with somebody, do it elsewhere.
I only asked for confirmation ..maybe in the wrong tone ..but I understand why it was moved ..
paphos

Post by paphos »

Jersey wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:56 am
Dominic wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:35 am I have split this thread. All the wild accusations have been moved to the pit. Please keep this topic cordial. You don't have to like each other, but if you want to pick a fight with somebody, do it elsewhere.
I only asked for confirmation ..maybe in the wrong tone ..but I understand why it was moved ..
Lol :lol: