Heating

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: Heating

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Uncle D wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:06 am Thanks, I am only planning ahead at the moment. and do not want to be given a hard sell. I just need to work out costs and any help from someone who has a heat pump system in Cyprus.
If its expensive I may aswell install inverter A/C units, I know how much they cost.
Max, as you seem to promote this kind of heating system, do you not have any experience in owning a heat pump system?
As far as I remember than JimB got one installed from Green Air recently. Perhaps you contact him by PM and ask for details.

Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

jeba wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:53 pm I'l go for a combination of inverter aircons and electric underfloor heating. For the latter I was quoted €50/sqm + VAT. Of course, I'll have a PV system.
If you want to do that than you need a larger PV system than 3 kWp as electric underfloor heating needs a lot of electricity. (ca 150 W/m2)

Electric underfloor heating systems are direct heating systems, they convert almost 100 % of the electrical energy supplied directly into heat, however heat pumps, using the energy from the environment, which means 1 kW input gives ca 4 kW output heat. It is not without reason that this type of heating with electricity does not do well with experts from an ecological and economic point of view. Specially in Cyprus with the high outdoor temperatures in Winter, heat pumps (and inverter air-cons) are very beneficial.

Max
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:34 am
Uncle D wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:06 am Thanks, I am only planning ahead at the moment. and do not want to be given a hard sell. I just need to work out costs and any help from someone who has a heat pump system in Cyprus.
If its expensive I may aswell install inverter A/C units, I know how much they cost.
Max, as you seem to promote this kind of heating system, do you not have any experience in owning a heat pump system?
As far as I remember than JimB got one installed from Green Air recently. Perhaps you contact him by PM and ask for details.

Max
Yes, I seem to remember that also, I have sent him a pm but it looks like hes not posted anything for over 3 months
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
jeba

Post by jeba »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:55 am
jeba wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:53 pm I'l go for a combination of inverter aircons and electric underfloor heating. For the latter I was quoted €50/sqm + VAT. Of course, I'll have a PV system.
If you want to do that than you need a larger PV system than 3 kWp as electric underfloor heating needs a lot of electricity. (ca 150 W/m2)

Electric underfloor heating systems are direct heating systems, they convert almost 100 % of the electrical energy supplied directly into heat, however heat pumps, using the energy from the environment, which means 1 kW input gives ca 4 kW output heat. It is not without reason that this type of heating with electricity does not do well with experts from an ecological and economic point of view. Specially in Cyprus with the high outdoor temperatures in Winter, heat pumps (and inverter air-cons) are very beneficial.

Max
I'll have a 10 kWp system and use the underfloor heating only complementary to the inverter aircons. Where I'm currently living (without any insulation) the aircons are sufficient to heat the place (and my 4 kWp system generates more than needed), but the (tiled) floor remains too cold for my liking. Installing a water based underfloor heating isn't cost effective for the prefabricated bungalow I'll be having.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Uncle D wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:02 am
I checked UK based air heat pump costs and they range from 8-18k, so I expect that over here in euros plus Cyprus is always more expensive for imported goods to be more like 12-22k.
Inverter aircon units would cost me around 4-5k, so its a no brainer really.
You are wrong with your prices for heat pumps here in Cyprus. I spoke with Andreas/Green Air and the price for heat pumps starts at 6-7 k. Of course radiators and piping etc will come on top.

I would try to get a special price from Green Air (Christos) if you order photo-voltaic system and air conditioning at the same moment.

Max
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:50 pm
I checked UK based air heat pump costs and they range from 8-18k, so I expect that over here in euros plus Cyprus is always more expensive for imported goods to be more like 12-22k.
You are wrong with your prices for heat pumps here in Cyprus. I spoke with Andreas/Green Air and the price for heat pumps starts at 6-7 k. Of course radiators and piping etc will come on top.

I would try to get a special price from Green Air (Christos) if you order photo-voltaic system and air conditioning at the same moment.

Max
I think I am siding with jebba here.. Looks to me that if you have excess PV units to burn then a heat pump makes no economic sense.

You'd never cover the cost of buying a heat pump.. let alone installation/ maintance and anything to deliver the heat it produces - my explanation is below.

If you have PV installed and you have surplus units then at most the cost per unit (at present) is 0.0441 (or even "free"")..

Looking at the info from Max and it looks like for every 1 unit input into a heat pump you get 4 units out. So thats a saving of 3 units.

With a heat pump cost of say (an I am using Max's figures) at least 6K. That equates to needing to save at least 136,000 units over the life of the heat pump to break even (6000/0.0441) during which time you will have used 45,000 units (136,000/3)... 45,000 units. I dont know how much power a heat pump uses but say its 1Kw per hour.

45,000 units would equate to running the heat pump 12 hours a day, for 6 months a year for the next 20 years.. And thats just to break even.. (45,000/(12*183)=20)

Of course if you are looking at a home that does not have excess PV units to burn or has no PV modules the figures work out differently. Using a cost of electricity of 0.3683 (the latest figure I have) a similar calculation leads to saving at least 16,000 units - so running the heat pump for 5,500 units or less than 4 years (if you run the heat pump for 8 hours a day, 6 months of the year)..
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

sounds like a plan to me.. who did you get that quote from?
jeba

Post by jeba »

mark4007 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:37 am
sounds like a plan to me.. who did you get that quote from?

For the electric underfloor heating? From https://www.iccyprus.com/
Actually, they quoted me € 50/sqm without mentioning VAT. I just added it as a matter of precaution.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:50 pm

Max
Thanks for giving me a rough idea of the cost of a heat pump instead of trying be a spokesperson for one company that supply them.
I've now spoken to two people who have tried replacing their existing gas boilers for heat pumps and then gone back to gas again, the heat pumps are not up to the job on their own it seems.
So as Jeba has stated the best way is by complimenting the heat pump by using another heat source, or switch from boiler to heat pump once the radiators are hot
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy