Coronavirus thrives on ignorance

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Coronavirus thrives on ignorance

Post by Dominic »

Anarita John wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:55 am Dominic, as a matter of fact I did mention it to the assistant who was weighing peoples goods. He got someone to take the grapes off the display. And with most people, if you mention that they are breaking the two metre rule, you are met with denial or abuse. We now make sure our trolley is behind us in the checkout queues.
I mentioned it on here because I thought it might add to the discussion and support Devil's view.
Good for you! I wish more people were the same. A bugbear of my wife's is that attitude at the Post Office.

However, I have never met denial or abuse from other people who have strayed into my zone. Perhaps it is because I am over 6ft tall and look fairly burly at times? I did once walk into Lidl and smile at the guard, a few weeks ago. It was only when I was half way round that I realised I had forgotten to put my own mask on, so I bought a Lidl one on the spot.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I wonder how people know whether he has a reason to be exempt from wearing one ??

EDIT>> After reading in the papers about this it appears that he claimed he was 'not up to speed' with the regulations due to just having returned from abroad..
Last edited by trevnhil on Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trev..
Adamsnews

Post by Adamsnews »

I think all people who are exempt from wearing a mask for medical reasons should wear a visor. Visors are not expensive and will prevent any unnecessary confrontation.

Paul.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:33 am In terms of pandemic viruses, I've always thought that visors (if you are not wearing a mask) in a commercial environment are one of the most useless pieces of kit ever. Granted you do not direct your moisture-laden (and possibly germ-laden) breath forward, but you simply direct it downwards, where it is free to drop onto all the surfaces around you.
I think that also applies to many masks, albeit perhaps not as dramatically as a just visor!
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The ones who claim they cannot wear one, lack of oxygen, asthma etc. Are the very ones who need to wear them. It is proven that masks do not inhibit oxygen levels.

There are some people where it is not practical, such as COPD (who shouldn’t be out) Aspergers, autism, severe anxiety ... So a small minority may have a reason.

The ones who claim they can’t breathe properly with a mask on, need to realise that it’s maybe 10 minutes... it won’t kill them, may be uncomfortable, but is necessary.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Have to disagree with you on this Jimgward ''The ones who claim they can’t breathe properly with a mask on, need to realise that it’s maybe 10 minutes... it won’t kill them, may be uncomfortable, but is necessary''

I nearly passed out/fainted twice recently this morning within a few minutes of entering a medium sized store which was cool and well ventilated. As it is I often have to stop and raise the mask from underneath to take in some air - still have mouth and nose covered while I do it and then carry on until I need to repeat the performance. Not just a problem when wearing a mask I might add as I am affected in enclosed or crowded places and in poorly ventilated areas. Yet nothing shows up on the tests done by the Pneumologist and he doesn't know why it happens!
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Galexinda

Maybe you need to look at different masks, such as the ones with filters that allow more air in...
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Jimgward wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:28 pm Galexinda

Maybe you need to look at different masks, such as the ones with filters that allow more air in...
Thank you - there is certainly a huge selection out there. Currently wearing a type that I will only refer to as a 'face covering' as it wouldn't stop anything harmful but it is the most lightweight option while it is so hot - amazed at how dirty it gets after one outing to the supermarket. Not prepared to go mask free though as I believe something is better than nothing. I could use my oxygen machine on its trolley as that has a fantastic mask but then I wouldn't be able to do any shopping!!
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I often feel uncomfortable with a mask but, on the whole, I do what is necessary. That having been said, when there is nobody else within the sacred 2 m or farther, I do pull it off the tip of my nose just sufficient that I can breathe in a lungful to keep me going.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

galexinda wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:06 pm
Jimgward wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:28 pm Galexinda

Thank you - there is certainly a huge selection out there. Currently wearing a type that I will only refer to as a 'face covering' as it wouldn't stop anything harmful but it is the most lightweight option while it is so hot - amazed at how dirty it gets after one outing to the supermarket. Not prepared to go mask free though as I believe something is better than nothing. I could use my oxygen machine on its trolley as that has a fantastic mask but then I wouldn't be able to do any shopping!!
I got these from Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1

It’s called a ‘sports mask’ designed for cycling... there are renewable In and Out filters ...

Ear loops plus a round the head Velcro strip that makes it very comfortable
Last edited by Jimgward on Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

The Cardiology Centre of Limassol General Hospital has been closed since Monday evening after an attendant there returned to work even though he was tested coronavirus positive.

The Hospital’s management closed the Centre and asked about 10 staff members and 25 patients to undergo tests.

The management also launched a probe to find out why the infected attendant returned to work before carrying out a second test first. He was found positive to the novel virus upon arrival from a recent trip overseas.

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/limasso ... ovid-case/

I despair
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

galexinda wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:24 am The Cardiology Centre of Limassol General Hospital has been closed since Monday evening after an attendant there returned to work even though he was tested coronavirus positive.

The Hospital’s management closed the Centre and asked about 10 staff members and 25 patients to undergo tests.

The management also launched a probe to find out why the infected attendant returned to work before carrying out a second test first. He was found positive to the novel virus upon arrival from a recent trip overseas.

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/limasso ... ovid-case/

I despair
Me too! What on earth was he/she thinking?