Cyprus Medical Card - for a retired couple

Discuss medical issues, and help each other navigate the available options for the Health Service in Cyprus.
Before following anybody's advice on here consider consulting your local doctor first.
galexinda

Cyprus Medical Card - for a retired couple

Post by galexinda »

Hope someone can answer these questions for me:

1. As a retired couple did you make your application on one S1 form or did each of you have to complete a S1 form?

As a retired couple were you issued with one Cyprus Medical Card or were you issued one each?

2. If one of you is already retired then you applied for the S1 form with your spouse named as a Dependant and you were issued with one Cyprus Medical Card with both names on:

Then when your spouse retired did they have to apply for a S1 form to make a claim in their own right?

Was your spouse then issued their own Cyprus Medical Card or do you have still have just one with both names?
trevnhil

Re: Cyprus Medical Card - for a retired couple

Post by trevnhil »

When we came to Cyprus in 2006 only my wife was receiving a pension, so she filled in the application and got the paperwork for a Cyprus Medical card.
As I was not a pensioner, I was listed on that form as her dependent.. We got one Medical card with both our names on.. Since then I have become a retiree and I have not had to fill in any more forms.
We still get Medical card renewals with both our names on the one card..

The only time there has been a problem is when both of us want to visit different doctors at the same time.. But a photocopy has been accepted..

Trev..
Trev..
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Thanks Trev

I am named as a Dependant on my husband's medical card and was asked earlier today what would happen when I reach state pension age. I always thought there was one medical card per household but thought I would ask on this forum to make sure.

I keep a photocopy of the medical card in my handbag, along with photocopies of other important documents, and it has saved a trip home on many occasions.

Appreciate your detailed answer.
sueb

Post by sueb »

Hello Galexinda,

In our situation- Hubby was 65 last Oct and I am 58.

We are in the process of applying for the medical card for my hubby and I will be his dependant.

I presume when I reach the pension age of 66 I will be able to apply in my own right.

My concern is if hubby passes away would I still be covered? My reason for concern is the major change of me not getting my pension at 60.
Can anyone shed any light on this matter?

Of course all could change when Britain comes out of the EU.We will have to wait and see on that score.
Happy to be back on the Island!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Strictly speaking if you hubby passes away then I don't think you would be covered..
But in that situation I would be tempted to use the card until it expired. By that time you may have become a state pensioner yourself, and could apply for a medical card in your own right..

Trev..
Trev..
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Hi sueb

I was told at CSC two years ago that if my husband dies before me then I would no longer be eligible for state health care until I reach UK state pension age.

However, as our Medical Card doesn't expire until January 2020, if my husband does die, I would still go along to the hospital and hand the card over at Reception as that is the only real way of finding out!

Similarly with my EHIC Card that was issued in the UK (people,please don't go off topic asking about the EHIC Card).

As you rightly say at the end of your comment, things may change due to Brexit.

Prefer to just relax and take each day as it comes, but it is better to have the correct information than have a head in the sand attitude.
sueb

Post by sueb »

Thank you for your replies. Very useful information.

We are both in excellent health - long may it continue!

Regards
Sue b
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

i agree Sue, long may both of you have good health.. However, the unexpected can happen. We had only been here 4 months when I had a heart attack and my wife rushed me to the Paphos A&E..

Later that day my heart did have to be restarted twice, but I am still alive thanks to the efforts of those on the Heart ward at Paphos hospital.. I went to Nicosia for a stent to be put in and one of the first things I was asked was did I have a Medical card.. Fortunately I did as this was one of the first thing we organised after arriving in the country.
All's well that ends well and I am still (reasonably ) healthy today..

Trev..
Trev..
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

When we got our S1 , the letter that came with it had this clause in it . So it looks like you do have to let them know . Not a subject any of us wants to think about , but you have to be aware of .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (46.37 KiB) Viewed 5128 times
sueb

Post by sueb »

Thanks for your kind wishes Trev. Glad to hear that you are now in good health must have been a shock at the time.

We await the card to arrive.

Some thing to bear in mind Mrblobby. Thank you.

Good Health is biggest factor for having a 'quality of life' where ever you are living. Lost my brother at 61 last October. Was not nice having to tell my 85 year mother.