Extending Wifi Signal

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
Iris 2

Extending Wifi Signal

Post by Iris 2 »

Afternoon

We have had Bluenet install our internet and router. Signal is better than expected but still drops in and out upstairs.

My question is what solutions have people used for the same problem and best recommendations? I was thinking about a plug-in signal booster or perhaps one that utilises the electrical (plug sockets) wiring?

Any suggestions greatly received.

Regards

Darrell
keving

Re: Extending Wifi Signal

Post by keving »

Iris 2 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:33 pm Afternoon

We have had Bluenet install our internet and router. Signal is better than expected but still drops in and out upstairs.

My question is what solutions have people used for the same problem and best recommendations? I was thinking about a plug-in signal booster or perhaps one that utilises the electrical (plug sockets) wiring?

Any suggestions greatly received.

Regards

Darrell
I have a plug in signal booster in England and it works fine in getting the signal from the router in the front of the house to the plug in booster in the kitchen at the back of the house and then out into the back garden.

However, I'm not sure that the plug in signal booster would work so well with the thick concrete walls in Cyprus.

In Cyprus I have 3 TPLink units which are plugged into sockets in the living room (connected to the router) and into sockets in the kitchen and one upstairs bedroom. They work fine. A great invention.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I was in computer SOS looking at the boosters to the Wi Fi signal only yesterday.
One of them was claiming a 5x boost and was from memory only €38...
If I was You I would call in and see Brian..

Trev..
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

To get wifi access in our garden, specifically by the bbq, we used a powerline connection from the router to the pool outhouse. This is two of those plugs which essentially turns the wiring into an ethernet network. In the outhouse we installed a basic wireless access point. It works a treat.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
keving

Post by keving »

Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

I bought a Huawei WS320 repeater from Amazon for about £13 and it works great here in Cyprus .
Iris 2

Post by Iris 2 »

Thanks for the reply everyone...really appreciated.

Regards

Darrell
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The distance is a factor too. Otherwise the wifi signal would be as strong at the bottom of the garden as it is standing by the kitchen window.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yes, but if you are standing on the OUTSIDE, by the kitchen window, you will get a better signal than if you were standing twenty yards away on the other side of an empty garden. So distance is still a factor.

Inicdently, another way to boost your signal is to site the route as high as practically possible. A router on the floor will have to deal with a lot more obstructions than a router on a shelf.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We have two routers in our home. There is a small one from the internet supplier, but we Have another better one about 5ft high on a shelf... Although we have no steel rods in the building the better Router gives a good siganal all around the bungalow and indeed I can still see internet TV on my laptop 50 mts away from the property.

Trev..
Trev..
Royal

Post by Royal »

Most ISPs supply free modems with wi-fi routers built in. These devices (understandably) are cheap and do not give the strength of signal available if you buy a device which is specific to that purpose. The concrete construction of homes here exacerbate the problem. We had a problem with the signal in the downstairs bedroom at the back of the house (used as a craft room for my wife) and the bedroom directly above it. To get around the problem, we use wi-fi extenders which plug into the mains electrical system and therefore provide 'wired' connectivity to those rooms. In the Craft Room, the extender is plugged into my wife's Mac which then produces its own wi-if network allowing iPads and iPhones to be connected wirelessly in that room. Upstairs in the back bedroom, the extender plugs into an Apple Express which also produces its own wi-if network. We are now able to get maximum wi-fi bars in every room of the house.
Royal

Post by Royal »

Hudswell wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:05 pm Not bad for a boot neck.😉
Per Mare Per Terram...Perhaps :D