Original Nuremberg sausages (Lidl).. don't overcook them

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Original Nuremberg sausages (Lidl).. don't overcook them

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I like to have some packs of the Original Nuremberg sausages always in store in case I need something meaty quick to cook, for a picnic or into lentils.
I know that some members here also like them, but are you aware that if you slightly undercook them before they go all " wrinkled ", they are much tastier. Of course the first 1-2 minutes in the dry pan one needs high temperature to get roasting flavour, but then it es better to reduce for 2 more minutes the temperature and move the pan after that to the side to led the sausages rest a bit... then they are really nice to eat either in a French bread and mustard or what I like quite a lot, to through them into home cooked lentils with chopped bacon. (ideal winter food, I am cooking it right now)

So to sum it up - they have to look light brown (not black) and the skin uncreased. Try it... :!:

Max
WHL

Re: Original Nuremberg sausages (Lidl).. don't overcook them

Post by WHL »

Max my wife makes a thick hearty Dutch lentil soup with bacon, great winter food served with crusty bread, very easy to make , fry onions, carrots, bacon, add lentils, stock.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

WHL wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:40 am Max my wife makes a thick hearty Dutch lentil soup with bacon, great winter food served with crusty bread, very easy to make , fry onions, carrots, bacon, add lentils, stock.

Well, my grandfather was from the German state "Baden-Wuerttemberg, homeland of the Lentil & Spaetzle (Pasta) dish, therefore my parents favourite dinner in winter was that and we had it nearly every week as it was cheap to cook as well that time.

Lentils how I prepare them, I take them cold when going for a picnic, as a side dish...

Ingredients:
400 gr. large lentils
250 gr.chopped bacon
1 large onion
4 garlic cloves
4 thin slices ginger
salt, pepper, sugar, hot spice
4 tbl spoon white vinegar
1.3 l vegi soup

(Just to mention that I get ALL the Ingredients from Lidl)

In a large pan I fry the bacon without any fat on not too high heat until gold brown and add then garlic and onion chopped until they turn colour.
In the meantime I heat the vegi stock in a large pot and add the lentils when it is boiling, reducing the heat after a short while and add the bacon/onion mix into it. A short stir, then lid on and wait until lentils are cooked but not overcooked ( ca 50 min) One has to care from time to time if there is the need of more liquid (vegi soup) otherwise lentils will burn to the bottom of the pot.
Now is the time to add some seasoning and sugar and remove the 4 slices of ginger. When I have the feeling the lentils are cooked enough I will stop this process in adding 4 large spoon of white vinegar. Proper stir.... finish.

Max
memory man

Post by memory man »

This is the recipe I use for lentil soup...………..

https://www.heraldscotland.com/arts_ent ... ntil-soup/
WHL

Post by WHL »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:54 pm
WHL wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:40 am Max my wife makes a thick hearty Dutch lentil soup with bacon, great winter food served with crusty bread, very easy to make , fry onions, carrots, bacon, add lentils, stock.

Well, my grandfather was from the German state "Baden-Wuerttemberg, homeland of the Lentil & Spaetzle (Pasta) dish, therefore my parents favourite dinner in winter was that and we had it nearly every week as it was cheap to cook as well that time.

Lentils how I prepare them, I take them cold when going for a picnic, as a side dish...

Ingredients:
400 gr. large lentils
250 gr.chopped bacon
1 large onion
4 garlic cloves
4 thin slices ginger
1.3 l vegi soup

In a large pan I fry the bacon without any fat on not too high heat until gold brown and add then garlic and onion chopped until they turn colour.
In the meantime I heat the vegi stock in a large pot and add the lentils when it is boiling, reducing the heat after a short while and add the bacon/onion mix into it. A short stir, then lid on and wait until lentils are cooked but not overcooked ( ca 50 min) One has to care from time to time if there is the need of more liquid (vegi soup) otherwise lentils will burn to the bottom of the pot.
Now is the time to add some seasoning and sugar and remove the 4 slices of ginger. When I have the feeling the lentils are cooked enough I will stop this process in adding 4 large spoon of white vinegar. Proper stir.... finish.

Max

Thanks Max I will get my wife to give this recipe a try
TLR

Post by TLR »

memory man wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:58 pm This is the recipe I use for lentil soup...………..

https://www.heraldscotland.com/arts_ent ... ntil-soup/
Sounds like my own (Grannie's) recipe MM.......and it's affa fine!
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

WHL wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:36 pm

Ingredients:
400 gr. large lentils
250 gr.chopped bacon
1 large onion
4 garlic cloves
4 thin slices ginger
1.3 l vegi soup

Max

But mind: my recipe is not a soup, it is more like a stew if you know what I mean. Originally mixed with hand-made pasta (Spaetzle), but I throw on top some cooked Nuremberg sausages into that mix... (pig) :oops: :oops:

Max
WHL

Post by WHL »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:15 pm

Ingredients:
400 gr. large lentils
250 gr.chopped bacon
1 large onion
4 garlic cloves
4 thin slices ginger
1.3 l vegi soup

Max

But mind: my recipe is not a soup, it is more like a stew if you know what I mean. Originally mixed with hand-made pasta (Spaetzle), but I throw on top some cooked Nuremberg sausages into that mix... (pig) :oops: :oops:

Max
Max thats how i like my soup, thick like me :lol:
TLR

Post by TLR »

Max, your recipe sounds delicious, I must try it.
On another note, the biggest of your Quince root cuttings is now a lovely small tree with blossom!!!
Sadly the two smaller ones did not survive the heat but I look forward a small crop of quinces for jelly later in the year.
The first jar is yours!!!
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

TLR wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:54 pm Max, your recipe sounds delicious, I must try it.
On another note, the biggest of your Quince root cuttings is now a lovely small tree with blossom!!!
Sadly the two smaller ones did not survive the heat but I look forward a small crop of quinces for jelly later in the year.
The first jar is yours!!!
Funny how it goes sometimes with threads Trish, as we are now into Quince... :) from Nuremberg sausages...

Anyhow, I am glad one survived and I am looking forward to your jelly. Last autumn I pruned my Quince trees radical down to ca 1.5 m, using the straight branches as walking sticks, which is perfect as the wood is so hard. To my surprise today's look of the tree, which is actually a bush now, is full of flowers after that short period of time..

Max
TLR

Post by TLR »

Lovely pic Max!
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

TLR wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:54 pm Max, your recipe sounds delicious, I must try it.
WHL wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:44 pm
cyprusmax47 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:15 pm

This recipe sounds not only delicious, it looks also quite appetizing....Nuremberg sausages would be an extra side dish... The pasta there are not homemade but a quick alternative to authentic "Swabian Egg Spaetzle" (Lidl)

Max