New findings, from an extensive survey...

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: New findings, from an extensive survey...

Post by Devil »

Now the Americans are telling us how we vote!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

From the same article: "Remain voters self-reported higher levels of neuroticism and openness, and appeared to be slightly more risk averse."

I think the important bit is the final paragraph.

Summary: referendums are a bad idea.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

As are pointless surveys!

Shane
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Lloyd

Yawn, yawn, not again, same old, same old.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

I guess that you would have been perfectly happy with the referendum had the result been 52:48 in favour of remain then! 🤔

Shane
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

HIC

I disagree with you. I lived in Switzerland for 36 years and several referenda were held twice every year, many were of prime importance, including foreign relations with e.g. the European Union, whether taxes should be increased or decreased, whether approval should be given to mosques, treatment of refugees, ceilings on the number of foreigners, etc. This system works very well and enables the country to run like clockwork.

In addition to referenda, it is also possible for public initiatives to be voted on in a similar way. To launch one requires only 100,000 signatures of citizens (out of a population of 8 1/2 million).

For a referendum or a public initiative to pass, it is necessary to have a majority of a single vote in a canton and to have a majority of cantons passing it (very simplified explanation). What is interesting is that many times the voting follows linguistic regions (four different languages) but there are various safeguards.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Given that, outside of immigration, the chief reason for Brexit appears to be the restoration of Parliamentary Democracy, they should just have a free vote in parliament to settle the issue once and for all. If referendums are a bad idea, we shouldn't have another one.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Devil wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:04 am I lived in Switzerland for 36 years and several referenda were held twice every year, many were of prime importance, including foreign relations with e.g. the European Union, whether taxes should be increased or decreased, whether approval should be given to mosques, treatment of refugees, ceilings on the number of foreigners, etc. This system works very well
How can you say it works very well if it wasn´t until 1971 that women got a vote?
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

jeba wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:40 am How can you say it works very well if it wasn´t until 1971 that women got a vote?
But they got it, didn't they? How? After a referendum, of course?

Your comment is a non sequitur: the principle of a referendum has nothing to do with individual subjects being voted on and their results.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

jeba wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:40 am How can you say it works very well if it wasn´t until 1971 that women got a vote?
But they got it, didn't they? How? After a referendum, of course?

Your comment is a non sequitur: the principle of a referendum has nothing to do with individual subjects being voted on and their results.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Many people label brexiteers as being stupid because they did not know what they were voting for. However they knew what they were voting against. A case of better the devil you don't know than the one you do.

Seems Tony Bliar has been advising Macron over dealings with the UK on brexit. Further evidence of duplicitous behaviour by the man.