Renewing Medical Card

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
MacManiac

Renewing Medical Card

Post by MacManiac »

Our medical card expires this month and will need to be renewed. No doubt the Citizens' Office will be able to do that. But I was wondering how long the renewal takes as, when we applied five years ago, it took about four weeks. This would make it difficult to access medical services during that period.
PhotoLady

Re: Renewing Medical Card

Post by PhotoLady »

Done on the day we applied at the Limassol office. Filled in the forms, provided the paperwork and walked out the door with them....
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I have certainly had them from the Citizens office both at Polis and Paphos... And from their desk at the Anavargos Post Office.
Trev..
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

I did ours yesterday morning at the Citizens Document Centre in Butcher Boy Road. Took a load of paperwork in (most of it not actually asked for, but taken just in case), including photocopies of our 2016 tax returns, filled in (most of) the form handed to me at the desk and waited maybe 30 minutes to be called. Walked out shortly afterwards clutching a brand new medical card valid from today to 31/12/19. :D
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Band

Post by Band »

The Aquila wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:49 pm
trevnhil wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:20 pm And from their desk at the Anavargos Post Office.
Ssshhh Trev...its nice & quiet in there ;) :)
Indeed, but they are nowhere near as friendly as the main Citizen's Service Centre.

As to renewal, if you have the right papers with you, they will do it immediately.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

When mine was due for renewal in 2015 I went to the CSC in Butchers Boy Road to find out the procedure and they told me it would be posted to me - which duly happened just before the current card expired. However, I did have to apply for my EHIC from UK to be renewed. Both cards are valid for five years and expire the same month.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Band wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:35 pm
Indeed, but they are nowhere near as friendly as the main Citizen's Service Centre.

[/quote]

But they are a whole lot quicker! ;)

Shane
memory man

Post by memory man »

As to renewal, if you have the right papers with you, they will do it immediately.
What are the "right papers" Band?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I didn't know that you needed any paperwork to renew a medical card. You are on their system, and I got a replacement card with a photo copy of the card and my ID.
Trev..
Band

Post by Band »

memory man wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:57 pm

What are the "right papers" Band?
I am self employed, so all I needed to bring was the most recent copy of my tax return. They can check the yellow slip and social insurance on their system.
Band

Post by Band »

ApusApus wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:51 pm

But they are a whole lot quicker! ;)

Shane
[/quote]
Sadly, not in my experience, unless you are lucky and get to the post office when it is quiet. Last time I went there, there was one person serving and four people waiting and I had to sit there for around 40 minutes.

If you go to the main Citizen's Service Centre in the afternoon, there is often very little wait.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Horses for courses Band!

Shane
Band

Post by Band »

Absolutely.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Thanks to all for their responses. I'll pop into the Citizens' Office in Polis in the next few days.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

trevnhil wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:00 pm I didn't know that you needed any paperwork to renew a medical card. You are on their system, and I got a replacement card with a photo copy of the card and my ID.
I think you may be a smidge older than us, Trev, plus you're English and effectively covered by the UK government reciprocal agreement. OH is self-employed, so I had to provide copies of our 2016 tax returns, plus details of both his and my Soc Sec numbers, and our ID numbers. Fortunately, the system is sufficiently computerised that the various numbers gave enough information for the new card to be issued immediately.
Exit non-English but British PW with huge sigh of relief. :lol:
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

My first medical card expired last year in May . About a month before a new one arrived in the post , I did not have to do anything .
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

PW in Polemi wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:10 pm
trevnhil wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:00 pm I didn't know that you needed any paperwork to renew a medical card. You are on their system, and I got a replacement card with a photo copy of the card and my ID.
I think you may be a smidge older than us, Trev, plus you're English and effectively covered by the UK government reciprocal agreement. OH is self-employed, so I had to provide copies of our 2016 tax returns, plus details of both his and my Soc Sec numbers, and our ID numbers. Fortunately, the system is sufficiently computerised that the various numbers gave enough information for the new card to be issued immediately.
Exit non-English but British PW with huge sigh of relief. :lol:
Ah, yes you are correct of course. We both qualify for Medical cards because we are retired..
Trev..
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Well my wife popped into the Citizens' Office in Polis today to enquire about renewing our medical card. It is in her name as I am her dependent (she just loves that). One minute later she emerged with a new medical card. Brilliant and thanks to all who offered advice in this thread.
Pchome

Post by Pchome »

Can a cyprus medical card be cancelled or not renewed if I stop getting exportable esa?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

MacManiac wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:43 pm Well my wife popped into the Citizens' Office in Polis today to enquire about renewing our medical card. It is in her name as I am her dependent (she just loves that). One minute later she emerged with a new medical card. Brilliant and thanks to all who offered advice in this thread.
I went to the citizens office a Paphos General post office on Tuesday to renew our card. I told them non had come in the post.. The lady looked me up on the computer and said she would have to contact Nicosia and she would ring me..

I went in again this morning and spoke to the younger lady, and she printed me a new one out straight away..
Trev..