Pafos Air Show

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Pafos Air Show

Post by memory man »

Three-day events with flights and airplane demonstrations, visits of citizens to the PA unit, photographic exhibitions, organizes the General Staff of the National Guard from Thursday 8th to Saturday 10th November to commemorate the protector of the Air Force Archangel Michael.

In particular, the events include:

Thursday 8 November:

From 13: 00-17: 00 Andreas Papandreou's base will be open to the public to be able to see the airborne flying means and photograph with them.

Friday 9 November: From 9: 00-17: 00, Andreas Papandreou's base will be open to the public to be able to see the airborne flying means and photograph with them.

Saturday, November 10: From 9: 00-17: 00, Andreas Papandreou's base will be open to the public to be able to see airborne flying instruments and photograph with them.

The expected Pafos Air Show will be held from 10:30 am until 12:30 pm and will be attended by those who attend.

Below is a video from last years Pafos Air show

PafosPress
Miyagi

Re: Pafos Air Show

Post by Miyagi »

Where is the airbase?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

No I don’t think that I will go along...except to see inside the airbase normally closed to the public. No wonder a previous Mayor of Paphos found reasons to stop the RAF Red Arrows from holding an air display over the harbour area, over the sea. But the public would have been situated further away from the action for safety reasons than they were in the video at the airbase.
Was the mayors refusal to let the Arrows perform at Paphos because of jealousy, or the fear that young Cypriots might have been interested in joining the British forces instead of the National Guard?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I've seen some odd posts by you but that one really takes the cake, Kili01.

We lived near Farnborough, and saw countless Read Arrows displays. Not one of my friends decided to join the forces on the back of the displays. :lol:
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

I just hope the organizers tell the police, I was around the area a few weeks ago with camera & bins & was stopped by the local Bobby who wanted to see what photos I had on my camera ............... I guess just in case I had witnessed some secret Cyprus military invention that the rest of the World didn’t know about!

Shane
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:44 pm No I don’t think that I will go along...except to see inside the airbase normally closed to the public. No wonder a previous Mayor of Paphos found reasons to stop the RAF Red Arrows from holding an air display over the harbour area, over the sea. But the public would have been situated further away from the action for safety reasons than they were in the video at the airbase.
Was the mayors refusal to let the Arrows perform at Paphos because of jealousy, or the fear that young Cypriots might have been interested in joining the British forces instead of the National Guard?
I think the red arrows were possibly stopped, for the same reason a small air show in the Channel Islans, would not have invited a German team....
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:44 pm No I don’t think that I will go along...except to see inside the airbase normally closed to the public. No wonder a previous Mayor of Paphos found reasons to stop the RAF Red Arrows from holding an air display over the harbour area, over the sea. But the public would have been situated further away from the action for safety reasons than they were in the video at the airbase.
Someone's been on the Sherry :lol:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jimgward wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:03 pm
I think the red arrows were possibly stopped, for the same reason a small air show in the Channel Islans, would not have invited a German team....
Not really the same league. Besides, they flew over Limassol a few years ago. We saw them when we were visiting the ruins near Episkopi.

You have to remember that because of recent crashes there is no longer the enthusiasm to have such displays over populated areas. This is a write-up of the last Farnborough Airshow:

https://blog.aviationjobsearch.com/the- ... rshow-yet/
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Hudswell wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:11 pm Actually a primary reason for all the British Armed Forces "display" teams is recruitment, unfortunately most are fighting for survival due to cuts in funding. The Royal Corps of Signals Motor cycle display team, the "White Helmets" was the latest to go. And attracting recruits from Commonwealth countries is now, or will become soon, an aim for the Armed Forces, the requirement to have lived in the UK for,5 years is being scrapped, and potential recruits can enlist from their own countries.
Well Wikipedia does back you up, though the first reason listed is to flog planes. Having sold programs at the Farnborough Air Show in the distant past, I can confirm that most of the week's events are trade days. Only the weekend is for the general public.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

The Arrows or ‘Reds’ as they are also called certainly are ambassadors for the RAF and no doubt many a young lad has seen one of their performances at home (UK) or in many foreign countries. They are a recruiting aid, though now there are less young people being recruited because of the defence cuts, But despite this our slim line forces are well equipped with ever more advanced equipment, what ever Dominic thinks!
For the last few years they have not been coming to Cyprus and have been doing their training elsewhere in the Med.
Dee
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:59 pm Farnborough is exactly that, a trade show...and yes designed to flog both commercial and military aircraft, but certainly not as a recruiting aid for the Armed forces!. The Forces display teams are primarily a vehicle for recruiting and each of the services have them, but of course some also serve to "advertise" our Armed Forces throughout the world. The Red Arrows, as magnificent as they are, are not "ring fenced" and I suspect will eventually go...they are often put up as a "savings measure" during the annual round of defence cuts, and the only thing that saves them is their prominence as probably the best Air Display Team in the world and Ambassadors of the United Kingdom. The Royal Yacht Britannia, which under the Conservative Government was due to be decommissioned and replaced of course succumbed to similar Defence Cuts under Labour, taken as a saving, despite its pre-eminence as an "Ambassador" for the country.
Your politics never miss. Do they? Britannica was a white elephant and was maybe an ambassadorial aid 2 generations ago, had no place today.
Also, the red arrows, while magnificent, are not world number ones or close. They are hampered by funding and overtaken by others.
In a world where food kitchens and poverty and homelessness prevails more than ever, cuts are necessary.
We haven’t ‘defended’ for decades. Cuts occur everywhere. Austerity is still rife.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:22 pm But despite this our slim line forces are well equipped with ever more advanced equipment, what ever Dominic thinks!
Dee
Where have I ever said that they aren't well equipped? I've said nothing of the sort.
WHL

Post by WHL »

I'm with Hudswell on this,it was a despicable decision to get rid of the Royal ship, what's more important, finding funds for Hospitals, Police, Schools etc etc etc or building a new lavish floating Gin Palace , where Prince charlie, and his cronies can sail the seven seas, while Hudswell can post acquiescent comments, sounding like a modern day Pathe news 'Bob' Danvers-Walker....
Paul

Post by Paul »

A little bit off topic about my farther in law.

My farther in law Arthur was part of the B E F at the start of World War 2, he was rescued at Dunkirk.

He was able to get on one of three boats that had come to Dunkirk, he boarded the middle boat and just after a German aircraft dropped 2 bombs hitting the boats each side of the boat he was on killing all on board.

He was later deployed to Malta for the full term of the siege of Malta.

He was an aircraft armourer loading bombs and ammo on to the planes.

One day standing with friends on the airfield a German aircraft came over and attacked the airfield fired his guns, Arthur ran one way and the men ran another, Arthur was the only one to survive attack.

A few weeks later he was about 20 feet from a new bloke on the airfield when another German aircraft attacked dropping a bomb; this bomb killed the new bloke and blew all of Arthur’s clothes off.

He did not get a scratch on him all the way through the war.

Sadly he passed away in 2005, we still have his RAF papers and medals.

The people of Malta are so proud of what the service men and woman did for their county during that time.
William Morris

Post by William Morris »

That is lovely, Paul or Lesley, thanks for sharing.

😊😊
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:24 am Oh Jim, that's rich, my politics? What on earth has my statement got to do so politics. You simply have to have a pop at anything that riles your republican, left wing socilist sensibilities. You just love to wallow in your perception of injustice, it must be torturous to be associated with the United Kingdom. Why on earth you have to drag you soapbox out at every single oppourtunity is simply beyond me. The United Kingdom, is exactly that, a kingdom and it always will be, and I for one are proud of its achievements, and that includes the Red Arrows, who by the way are piloted by experienced front line fighter pilots and can be converted to ground attack aircraft if needed. And the Britannia (the Britannica was a set of encyclopaedia's I believe) was designed to be converted into a hospital ship.
Your mirror is clouded Hudswell. Your the one who started the politics. Mentioning labours decision over Britannia. Autocorrected to Britannica. The worlds first encyclopaedia and a much more useful additional to the world.
William Morris

Post by William Morris »

Now, now lads. Calm down. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

I am glad I never commented.

I would hate to be objectionable and upset anyone.

🤗🤗
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Paul & Lesley wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:53 am A little bit off topic about my farther in law.

My farther in law Arthur was part of the B E F at the start of World War 2, he was rescued at Dunkirk.

He was able to get on one of three boats that had come to Dunkirk, he boarded the middle boat and just after a German aircraft dropped 2 bombs hitting the boats each side of the boat he was on killing all on board.

He was later deployed to Malta for the full term of the siege of Malta.

He was an aircraft armourer loading bombs and ammo on to the planes.

One day standing with friends on the airfield a German aircraft came over and attacked the airfield fired his guns, Arthur ran one way and the men ran another, Arthur was the only one to survive attack.

A few weeks later he was about 20 feet from a new bloke on the airfield when another German aircraft attacked dropping a bomb; this bomb killed the new bloke and blew all of Arthur’s clothes off.

He did not get a scratch on him all the way through the war.

Sadly he passed away in 2005, we still have his RAF papers and medals.

The people of Malta are so proud of what the service men and woman did for their county during that time.
Does your wife share his good luck? Come on, be honest. She married you. Does that make her lucky? :)

Only joking. That is a lovely story that's also a little bit spooky.