Nationwide BS increase debit card fees

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Mark

Nationwide BS increase debit card fees

Post by Mark »

They have announced an increase from 2 to 2.75% from mid October, that's an other reduction in available funds in addition to faltering rates.

At least using their gold credit card (which I currently use for larger purchases) attracts no fees so looks like I will be using that more.

Aaaaaaaaargh!
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Nationwide BS increase debit card fees

Post by Dominic »

What do you mean by debit card fees?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Fee for purchases and hole in the wall withdrawals, all my income is paid into Nationwide.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I will have to check later. But as far as I am aware I have never been charged any fees for using my Nationwide Visa Debit card online to buy things with it..
Last edited by trevnhil on Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trev..
RattyPatty

Post by RattyPatty »

If you are eligible for a UK bank account and are in the UK get yourself a Metro bank debit card. No charge for withdrawing money.

I use a Nationwide Select credit card for all my card payments in Cyprus. Again no fees.
Mark

Post by Mark »

As I am a permanent resident in Cyprus, I cannot open a new UK account. Trev I am not talking about online purchases, but local use of the card. My Cypriot account is used for paying healthcare, insurance only, with money transferred to my BOC account.

I tried to switch to Nationwide select, but am not permitted to do so
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Mark wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:02 pm As I am a permanent resident in Cyprus, I cannot open a new UK account. Trev I am not talking about online purchases, but local use of the card. My Cypriot account is used for paying healthcare, insurance only, with money transferred to my BOC account.

Ah Mark... Firstly how are people to know you are a permanent resident here. there is no location on your profile and you didn't say until now in your posting.
Certainly I know about the fees for using a UK Nationwide Card here in Cyprus and any foreign country outside of the UK.. I don't use my UK card here because of that reason.

All you have to do is use your Cypriot account for purchases...
Trev..
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

We still have our Santander Zero debit card. I do not think the Zero Current Account is available at the moment but the Zero Credit Card Account is. This allows us to make purchases in Cyprus commission free at the proper exchange rate, as long as we pay in Euros. When we opened a Nationwide Current Account last year, to get a high rate of interest for one year, we also opened a Nationwide credit card account, which is still commission free.
My advise for anyone still in the UK is to open as many zero commission credit card accounts as possible, at least two, for use in Cyprus in the future and look round for a bank that does zero or low withdrawal fees.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Or if you are a pensioner in Cyprus just have your pension paid into a Cyprus bank of your choice..
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:11 pm
Mark wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:02 pm As I am a permanent resident in Cyprus, I cannot open a new UK account. Trev I am not talking about online purchases, but local use of the card. My Cypriot account is used for paying healthcare, insurance only, with money transferred to my BOC account.

Ah Mark... Firstly how are people to know you are a permanent resident here. there is no location on your profile and you didn't say until now in your posting.
Certainly I know about the fees for using a UK Nationwide Card here in Cyprus and any foreign country outside of the UK.. I don't use my UK card here because of that reason.

All you have to do is use your Cypriot account for purchases...
They know.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Re... " They Know".... I am on the forum every day and I didn't know... I feel sure there must be other's that don't know either.. So when you are complaining about things it would help if you mentioned where you were talking about to avoid confusion..
Trev..
Mark

Post by Mark »

Sorry Trev, was not trying to cause confusion or cause an argument.
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:07 pm Re... " They Know".... I am on the forum every day and I didn't know... I feel sure there must be other's that don't know either.. So when you are complaining about things it would help if you mentioned where you were talking about to avoid confusion..
When I say they know, I meant companies get information, on every aspect of our lives,,, on what you look at on line, what you buy, where you shop, where you use your cards, what you buy with your cards....where you travel, etc etc they know where you live, . I was replying to your ''how do they know your a resident here''.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I should add that I wanted to keep and use my UK account, for fear of losing it if not used, and to avoid issues should I return, for whatever reason to the UK.
The previous 2% commission charged by nationwide I absorbed, but the increase will perhaps make me consider currency fair etc.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Mark

Very sensible, we kept our UK account thank goodness, it was difficult enough returning to the UK after 9 years in Cyprus.

Re Trevor's post, I did see the subject and thought I had missed something, I have a Nationwide account, and a debit card, but I didn't know the op was just referring to Cyprus, thank goodness.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I agree with Mark and Jackie, keep any UK accounts you have.. We stopped using the Nationwide card in Cyprus a few years ago when they introduced charges.. But we still use if for good and services that we buy in and from the UK..
Trev..
smudger

Post by smudger »

I agree. Almost by default I kept my Nationwide UK account, albeit dormant for several years. I had reason to resurrect it when my granddaughter came to live with me and have been pleased that I did this on several occasions, and it's always useful on the 3 times I'm in the UK each year.

I would say to anyone anticipating a move to Cyprus to keep at least one UK bank account open, you never know when you may need it!