Paphos: British tourist found dead in sea

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Paphos: British tourist found dead in sea

Post by Paphos Life »

A 71 year-old Briton was found dead in the sea off Paphos today, Phileleftheros reports.He was seen floating by his wife in the sea in Kato Paphos where they were swimming, around 18:45 on Saturday afternoon.He was recovered by lifeguards and taken to Paphos hospital where doctors determined he was already dead.The exact cause of death is not known yet....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Paphos: British tourist found dead in sea

Post by Dominic »

Another swimmer dies. Another tragic loss The cause is not yet known, but if you are thinking of swimming in Paphos, pay attention to the Rip Tide warnings. They are there for a very good reason.

If you are new to the forum, or Paphos, then find out a bit about rip tides, and how to avoid them:

https://www.wikihow.com/Survive-a-Rip-Tide
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Hudswell wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:43 am What a tragedy, we were walking along the promanade about then and had commented on how calm It was, no breeze at all and the sea was flat calm, natural causes perhaps.
Perhaps. However, every time there is such a tragedy, I always think it worth highlighting the dangers.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I lost to enjoy going into the sea since my uncle drowned at "Sandy Beach", Lempa, in the 70's, while there were no waves at all. Only us were at the beach at the time and it took more than 2 hours until a ambulance and the police arrived. When I saw him floating in the water, 50 m away from shore, I swam to him and took him out, starting mouth to mouth..... with no happy end. The police later told me that there are undercurrents at that beach..

Max
WHL

Post by WHL »

I remember being in a seaside taverna when a rowdy group of middle age tourists, the majority being over weight and feasting on the buffet for a couple of hours, not to mention pint after pint decided it would be a good idea. to go for a swim, they could barely stand up, but went in the water, some were struggling to keep their heads above water..... the sea takes no prisoners be careful out there
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

So awful for his wife. As WHL says the sea doesn't take prisoners and is beautiful yet deadly.
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

Dominic wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:45 am
Hudswell wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:43 am What a tragedy, we were walking along the promanade about then and had commented on how calm It was, no breeze at all and the sea was flat calm, natural causes perhaps.
Perhaps. However, every time there is such a tragedy, I always think it worth highlighting the dangers.
Indeed. There are posters down by the beach. The one thing I do remember, having read them, is not to fight against the rip current.
This is not bad info
https://www.wikihow.com/Survive-a-Rip-Tide
one sentence
If you are not making any progress by swimming, or if you are getting tired, conserve your energy. Float on your back or tread water instead of fighting the current.
[but read the who lot]
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

That isn't the advice given at all. The proper advice is NOT to try and swim against it.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Flossie wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:13 am Many times it is nothing to do with the rips but the individuals health!
Well, my uncle was a very fit, competitive sportsman, 35 years old when it happened. He played active tennis at the FCN club since he was a child and won many titles there. He had a very healthy lifestyle, never drunk alcohol and came for holidays to Cyprus to celebrate his birthday...

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

How can you call them safe when so many people drown in them?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

We usually go to Corallia Beach, sandy beach and safe too! Don’t want to risk drowning...

Dee
J B

Post by J B »

Very sad, but all 'the authorities' can do is to worry about some crazy unenforceable swimming pool law.

Has anyone ever suffered a fatality in a Cyprus swimming pool??

:(
J B
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Hudswell wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:20 pm The beaches around Kato Paphos are safe
A new article in todays CMail tells you the contrary Hudswell. Here parts of the article:

"“It’s not easy to swim in Chlorakas and the project is a very important one for us as we don’t really have any safe beaches, although we have a beautiful 6km coastline”, he said.

“We are a tourist area and it is dangerous to swim, this is no good and we need to create a safe beach as soon as possible"

"Although there are a couple of small beaches in Chlorakas, such as Sandy Beach and Vrexi, this stretch of coastline is prone to huge waves, dangerous currents and a rocky shoreline, meaning it’s not always suitable for swimmers"

"“This is such a dangerous area with generally no safe place to swim and we have had drownings and serious incidents here in the past"

here the complete article:

https://cyprus-mail.com/2018/10/01/no-s ... e-to-swim/

Max
WHL

Post by WHL »

J B wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:36 pm Very sad, but all 'the authorities' can do is to worry about some crazy unenforceable swimming pool law.

Unfortunately quite a few Island wide.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Havent been to Paphos in years so im not an expert of the shore line , Larnaca have build many Breakwaters, along their coast line, resulting in less waves, shallow water ,and very calm seas to swim in, maybe Paphos could do something similar?
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

J B wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:36 pm

Actually quite a few have.
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:24 am It is happening, but a long process...and over in Polis as well along the public beach, but there do seem to be consequences. It may just be my imagination but the coastline where I used to walk has definitely deteriorated over the last few years, just down from where the Breakwaters were positioned.
I think they have the opposite effect, some of these breakwaters have been build over twenty years ago, far from deteriorating the coast line, they preserve the coast line.
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

Dominic wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:26 pm That isn't the advice given at all. The proper advice is NOT to try and swim against it.
Correct.
I went and read the notice again this morning. It makes 4 points.
Point 1 is not to fight against the rip-current.
2. was to try to swim out of the current - to the side - right angles basically.
3. If tired, float out of it. (current will diminish)
4. Was call for help if needed.
Along those lines.