So...Sky Data poll suggests 56% think Brexit will be worse than expected

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
OhSusana

Re: So...Sky Data poll suggests 56% think Brexit will be worse than expected

Post by OhSusana »

Very interesting considering that Murdoch was very very much in favour of Brexit. Changing his mind a little? Seen reality?

This in The Guardian - maybe yesterday -

Brexit costing Britain £500m a week and rising, says report
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... nds-a-week
extracts
It shows that the UK economy is already 2.5% smaller than it would have been had Remain won the referendum. Public finances have been dented by £26bn a year, more than half of the defence budget. This translates to a penalty of £500m a week, a figure that is growing....

====
I have to say, I feel that the Brexit negotiation position now - if it exists - is all about the divisions in the Conservative party - and nothing to do with the country, or the people. Internal squabbling for power; using polyfiller to plug the holes in the Titanic. And give the "we are united" position at the conference.
outasite

Post by outasite »

What I find most annoying about you two is the absolute glee in which you trawl the media and report every little anti-Brexit story you come across. Toyota have just injected millions into their plant in Derbyshire, just six months before we leave the EU you admire so much. And 27 LEADERS of countries seem to be firmly committed to the EU, but I bet a pound to a euro that the businesses who trade with the UK are just as fed up with the negative attitude of the EU . Nobody will know the outcome of us leaving until we have left. Of course, it will be bumpy, the first bump being the obscene billions May has had to agree to pay just to get your benevolent EU to the negotiating table. Your EU is treating with contempt the leader of a country that twice has saved Europe and much of the world from domination by despots. The thanks from France was overwhelming, what with the intransigence of M. De Gaulle with his "Non" when we first wanted to join the European Economic Community. Still, it shouldn't matter though, no planes or boats to and from the EU, O'Leary abandoning Stansted, his second biggest hub, no more EU wine, or cheese, or cars, or LIDL or Aldi, as if businesses will let that happen. Have fun in your utopia.
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

outasite wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:37 am What I find most annoying about you two is the absolute glee in which you trawl the media and report every little anti-Brexit story..
Nobody will know the outcome of us leaving until we have left....
Your EU is treating with contempt the leader of a country that twice has saved Europe and much of the world from domination by despots.
Cosmos.
I do not report every anti-Brexit story with "absolute glee". Where is your evidence? A pathetic comment.

One week ago I wrote - about some article -
by OhSusana » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:56 pm
"Brilliant; cuts through the issues like a knife through butter. So true, but also so sad."

Now, if I find the demise of Britain sad, how is that absolute glee?
You are writing absolute twaddle. Not for the first time.

Personally,I see myself as much or more of a patriot than you will ever be. Why? I am fighting to save Britain, and you are destroying it (my opinion) through your blinkered "the war" mentality of the Empire and 60 years ago in your youth. You are mixing things up in your brain, because the "mess we are in" is clouding your judgement, and making you very very bitter.

Now - I will not attack you or indeed Hudswell, for whom I have at least some respect, even though I disagree with him profoundly -
I will not attack you as not being a patriot. You think you are doing your best for Britain.
I think you are destroying it
And I think you will also destroy the United Kingdom. I see Ireland being reunited in time, and Scotland getting independence. All these things will follow as a result of Brexit. And the economy - the country will slump.
And that makes me very very SAD. Get it? I am not happy about this.
I do not rejoice in these things
. Many people in France, Russia, Holland, and so on will rejoice as they see lots of business coming their way.
This all makes me sad.

Do not criticise my patriotism. You are mixing issues through your bitterness, and short-sightedness. My opinion.

As for the "nobody will know the outcome" line - spouted daily by the likes of you -
Even fruitcake billionaire Rees-Mogg said it may take 50 years for us to know the full economic consequences. And that he may be wrong.
I think we can already see the economic consequences. We don't need 50 years of this.
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

As for Toyota - this is the latest I could find -
No-deal Brexit 'could halt production at UK Toyota plants'
Boss of Derbyshire facility says disruption could last ‘hours, days, weeks – even months’
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ota-plants
“My view is that if Britain crashes out of the EU at the end of March, we will see production stops in our factory,” Marvin Cooke, the managing director of the company’s plant in Burnaston, told the BBC...

But he admitted Britain would lose its status as one of the world’s leaders in car innovation without an agreement. “To see that slip through our fingers is something that we would regret for ever,” he said.

..Toyota’s factories rely on the smooth delivery of parts from within the UK and especially Europe, from where 1,000 lorries a day cross the channel with parts for car manufacturers in Oxford, the Midlands, the north and the north-east....
===
Article from yesterday.
I find it sad.
You might find making Boris Johnson PM far more important. And worthy of this destruction.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

"Patriotism is the last recourse of the scoundrel". [ Dr. Samuel Johnson.]
He was of course alluding to pretend patriotism.
tyelaw47

Post by tyelaw47 »

Did he not also say that Toyota has plans for a £250 million new production line and 400 more jobs? So of course car manufacturers both in the EU and the UK are concerned ,justifiably, but it appears they are still investing in the future in the UK. So yes let's post the problem issues but also balance that out with the positives which I have just quoted.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Tyelaw
Are you aware of how much time and effort is spent on front end engineering to build a new production line. Toyota didn't decide last week on the spare of the moment; its most probably taken several years and too much money to pull the pin. There will be massive grants involved and more than likely it's cheaper to just run the line and close the place at the end of the production run.
Jim
tyelaw47

Post by tyelaw47 »

Jim please do not start assuming that we who do not share your views are stupid as HIC does.Of course I realise that planning in most industries is generally long term but to assume they are going to close it is your natural pessimism shining through.
I just give up as you are not prepared to have a sensible debate so just argue with yourself Jim as I have better things to do with my time!
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Tyelaw
I think it's you making assumptions; you should read again what was written. I don't know what your line of work is, mine is construction In which I've worked all my life. Ive worked on many projects where the plants were completed and then mothballed because it wasn't economical to operate them. There is a tipping point were it's cheaper to continue than scrap the project and that's all I'm saying. You can scroll back through all my posts on Paphos Life and Cyprus Livng and have NEVER referred to anyone as stupid even if our views have been diametrically opposed.

Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:55 am ...it would seem that most who originally voted in favour now realise that Brexit is not the golden goose it was cooked up to be by Boris and Farage at the time of the referendum:
No it doesn't.

- and the largest part of Leave voters -
This is misleading.

This is the actual data:
Among people who voted Leave in 2016, 43% think Brexit will not be as good as they believed at the time of the referendum, with 34% saying it will be as expected and 15% thinking it will be better.
While it is true that 43% think Brexit will not be as good, 51% think it will be as good OR better.

I don't. I think it will be terrible. But data is data.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

Sky Data interviewed a nationally representative sample of 1,070 Sky customers interviewed 10-11 September 2018 online. Data are weighted to the profile of the population. Sky Data is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules .

That sounds like a good sampling of the UK public . :lol:
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Being honest Mr Blobby, I find Sky News pretty balanced as far as reporting on Brexit goes.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I have been with Sky for years, they didn't ask me. Were they selective, or were the pollsters randomly chosen I wonder.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

As to factories being mothballed. The UK is sadly full of them. In my area, a massive plant built for Hyundai, for chip design and manifacturing - built by Scottish Entgerprise - cost of hundreds of millions - never used. A massive plant built for a Chinese CRT manifacturer - just as LEDs were taking over - now demoloshed... There are so many examples of where we lifted our skirts for Inward Invesment over financing growth of UK industries.

Thatcher was the one to start that craze. It has now been shown to be futile. Also, even now, they will invest more in any kind of manufacturing, over other indiustries.
I am a director of 4 companies, that beween them, have recived a sum total of 800 pouds of financial suppprt......
WHL

Post by WHL »

This made me laugh....Presumably Brexiteers can't celebrate if Europe wins the Ryder Cup.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:51 pm Perhaps that's all you deserved? Or you were that successful you didn't need support.
Must be... :?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:15 pm
WHL wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:16 amThis made me laugh....Presumably Brexiteers can't celebrate if Europe wins the Ryder Cup.

Thing that makes me laugh, whenever they come across any kind of injustice in Cyprus, they quote EU rules verbatim :lol:
Ive noticed that too, the funniest thing ever, when I talk to expats here in Cyprus, the majority are anti EU. and most base their anti Europe stance,on too many foreigners in the UK, not assimilating with the British ways of life?.... O the Irony British immigrants to Cyprus talking about not assimilating with the locals, you couldn't make it up.
tonee

Post by tonee »

Again,56% of how many?How many people were polled?Very clever these polls.
tonee

Post by tonee »

Ha,just found how many people were polled...1070,wow,now that is supposed to represent the zillions of other brits,what a load of rubbish,I find it amusing how people react to these polls.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Quite so, it mean nothing, but then there are those so desperate to 'prove' that Brexit will be the end of the world, they are clutching at straws, poor souls. :D

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.