Cataract Surgery

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Kili01

Cataract Surgery

Post by Kili01 »

A friend of mine needs cataract surgery fairly urgently. She is wondering if other people have had their cataracts removed in Cyprus. She would like to have reccommendations of the surgeon they used, if anyone has any, of surgeons, pref in Limassol or Paphos. Also does anyone know whether pin hole surgery is better or worse than removal using a laser? Also what are the likely costs if private surgery is used?

Many thanks for useful information.

Dee
trevnhil

Re: Cataract Surgery

Post by trevnhil »

My wife has had a cataract removed at the Iasis hospital by a surgeon that comes from time to time from Limassol . The eye doctor there Maria, organised it all. The cost was around €1,600 from memory. This did include all the check ups afterwards.
My wife went to see Maria only a few days ago and the operation is OK. She is having the other eye done in a few months time..

There is no need to make an appointment to see Maria, just go to the hospital and wait outside her doorway.. There will be a small cost for the initial consultation I would think .
Trev..
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

Dee
I can support Trev's recommendation. I had cataracts removed from both my eyes (not both at the same time) at the Iasis late in 2016/17. Maria is a very competent lady as is the consultant who comes from Limassol. I only returned from the UK late Wednesday night but I have all the details filed away and can get them out if you so wish. The cost quoted by Trev is about right as I recall. The care and attention was in my case excellent and I received check ups periodically at no extra cost. My vision has vastly improved and driving at night time is no longer a problem re dazzling and without spectacles. Let me know if you require any further information.

Rita
Pbee

Post by Pbee »

I also had a cataract done at the Iasis. The cost was €1600 and I was very pleased with the treatment and care.
Pat
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

Lloyd

I dont think your Maria is one and the same as the lady at the Iasis where she is permanently based. The gentleman who operates is from Limassol had not had chance to look into my papers for his name but the Iasis Maria is one of the people who assists him. I have no doubt your recommendation is a very sound one and I supported Trev's suggestion from my own personal experience having had two cataracts removed and my sight was greatly enhanced. I have no need for spectacles for most things these days including reading other than very small print but then I am ancient so did not expect miracles.

Rita
Tremigirl

Post by Tremigirl »

My husband had both his eyes done at the Iasis and would agree with all that has been said.
He has worn glasses since he was a young boy but now only need them for very small print when reading.
Maria is excellent.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:46 am Just another option: the Pantheo Eye Centre in Limassol. These are the people I first went to when I was having an issue with one of my eyes. Senior consultant and co-owner of the clinic is Theo Potamitis, who trained and worked in the UK for many years. From the website you will see that there are 18+ opthalmologists working there. I see one of the ladies is called Maria, so maybe that is who comes over to Paphos? Easy to get to in Limassol.

http://pantheo.com/the-team
I think the Maria mentioned by Lloyd is a different one from Maria at the Iasis. She is there at Paphos every working day at her surgery..
Trev..
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

Had mine done by Dr Tassos Georgiou who visits the tBlue Cross in Paphos every other Thursday. He is also excellent.
Alewfin

Post by Alewfin »

Oxfordboy wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:09 am Had mine done by Dr Tassos Georgiou who visits the tBlue Cross in Paphos every other Thursday. He is also excellent.
Had both my eyes done by Dr Tassos. Took less than 45 minutes to do both.

Excellent doctor, thoroughly recommended.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:46 am Just another option: the Pantheo Eye Centre in Limassol. These are the people I first went to when I was having an issue with one of my eyes. Senior consultant and co-owner of the clinic is Theo Potamitis, who trained and worked in the UK for many years. From the website you will see that there are 18+ opthalmologists working there. I see one of the ladies is called Maria, so maybe that is who comes over to Paphos? Easy to get to in Limassol.

http://pantheo.com/the-team
Rosemary had her cataracts removed by Theo Potamitis, at the Pantheo clinic in Limassol. He was recommended by Aristis at Elean, who first diagnosed Rosemary's cataracts. Her natural lenses have been replaced by bifocal Zeiss lenses, which are supposed to be the best in the world. She no longer needs reading glasses. We would highly recommend him.
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

Dee

I have now searched my document file and found the name of the Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon who removed my cataracts and gave me new lenses.
His name is George Papamichael MD PhD DCL and his address is in Nicosia- My bill says " fee for cataract extraction by phacoemulsification". His assistant and the optician at the Iasis is Dr Maria Papadopoulou Eye Surgeon based at the Iasis so is not one and the same as the Maria mentioned by Lloyd. Dr Papamichael did both my eyes but on separate occasions as he does not recommend both eyes being done at the same time thus giving time for one to settle and any problems resolved before commencing on the other eye. I was charged 1600 euros for each eye which included the Anaesthetist Doctor (sedatives and relaxant for those of us with a nervous disposition), Fees for the clinic plus various other equipment used and all follow up visits.

Dr Maria's number is 26 848484, 26 947224 and Mobile 99647354. Dr Papamichael's number is 22 755 400 and email address is gpapamichael.ophth@gmail.com

Trust your friend finds what she is looking for.

Best wishes
Rita
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Many thanks Rita,
All your posts were helpful,but the last one is particularly so.
All the information that kind posters have given in this threadI will be
passed on to the friend. I think that the first port of call is likely to be to Dr Maria, after your recommendation, Rita. Probably, it would be more convenient to have the surgery done locally and avoid having to journey to Limassol.

Many thanks to all who posted here. It is always so helpful to have recommendations from people who have already had things done previously. This web site is particularly good as there is a core number of regular posters who are able to give good advice.

Dee