Latest Brexit poll

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Lofos-5

Latest Brexit poll

Post by Lofos-5 »

How young and old would vote on Brexit now

By Sir John Curtice Professor of Politics at Strathclyde University

Few issues divide opinions between different age groups quite as sharply as Brexit. And it could be that the differences are becoming even more pronounced.

Voters remain evenly divided about the issue, just as they were at the time of the EU referendum two years ago.

If there were to be a second referendum now, 52% would vote Remain and 48% Leave, an average of polls over the past three months suggests.

So, it is a stable picture, albeit one that reverses the position in 2016.

But the opinions of voters vary dramatically across different groups - none more so than between young and old.

Just over 70% of 18 to 24-year-olds who voted in the referendum backed Remain, four major academic and commercial polls conducted shortly after the ballot agree, with just under 30% backing Leave.

In contrast, only 40% of those aged 65 and over supported Remain, while 60% placed their cross against Leave.

These younger and older voters may be even more polarised now.

A total of 82% of 18 to 24-year-olds with a voting preference say they would vote Remain in a second referendum, an average of polls conducted in the past three months suggests, while only 18% of this age group say they would vote Leave.

In contrast, two-thirds of those aged 65 and over would back Leave, while only one-third would favour Remain.

And it is not only the youngest and the oldest voters who have very different views about Brexit. Every age group is different.

The younger someone is, the more likely they are to favour Remain over Leave.

As a result, the UK is divided into the under-45s who, on balance, favour staying in the EU, and the over-45s, who want to leave.

On immigration, the most recent British Social Attitudes survey shows that 61% of those aged 18 to 34 think that immigration enriches Britain's cultural life.

In contrast, only 38% of those aged 55 and over feel that way.

When it comes to the economy, 54% of 18 to 34-year-olds disagreed with the statement "Britain will be economically better off post-Brexit" in polling by ORB International between May and July. Half that number, 27%, thought the country would be better off.

Among those aged 55 and over, the balance of opinion is almost exactly the opposite - 54% agree that Britain will be better off, while 30% disagree.

Consequently, younger people are also less concerned about an end to free movement - the right of EU citizens to come to Britain to live and work - and more concerned for Britain to remain part of the EU single market.

When asked if they would choose to stay in the single market even if it means allowing free movement, 50% of 18 to 34-year-olds said they would do so, compared with 35% of 55 to 64-year-olds.

This difference of outlook is reflected in attitudes towards holding a second referendum.

Younger people are much keener on the idea of revisiting the Brexit vote.

Asked whether there should be a referendum on whether to accept the terms of Britain's exit from the EU once they have been agreed, about half of 18 to 24 year-olds say they are in favour of another poll.

Only three in 10 of those aged 65 and over hold that view.

However, only half of 18 to 24-year-olds said that they would be certain to vote in a second EU referendum, according to recent polls by Survation. This compares with 84% of those aged 65 and over.

So if there were another ballot, it is far from certain that young people would necessarily take the opportunity to register their distinctive views.

--
Sir John Curtice is professor of politics at Strathclyde University, senior research fellow at the NatCen Social Research, a senior fellow at The UK in a Changing Europe and chief commentator at WhatUKthinks.org.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-45098550
Lofos-5

Re: Latest Brexit poll

Post by Lofos-5 »

If the above is true, and the population younger than 18 cannot vote, yet they are most affected by Brexit, shouldn't the oldest 20% of the population also be excluded from the vote, let's say those above 70 :!: :?:
tyelaw47

Post by tyelaw47 »

You cannot change the age that people are allowed to vote just to obtain a different result! I really don't think that would be democracy at it's best! The most telling thing about this article is where it says that should there be another vote about half of the young voters would not vote! That really does say it all does it not?
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

So Lofos-5, what other categories would you like to restrict in order to obtain a "balanced" vote? :roll:

Shane
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

ApusApus wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:59 am So Lofos-5, what other categories would you like to restrict in order to obtain a "balanced" vote? :roll:
Maybe those with tattoos ;) ?

I am not advocating anything, I am not entitled to vote on this anyway, I just want to trigger a debate on this subject. I completely agree that the young voters should take advantage of their potential 2nd chance to voice their feeling - 50% not going to the polls is abysmal really. In the canton where I grew up it is compulsory to go for elections and voting - you'll get a fine for not doing so.

A.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

If you are over 70, have a piercing and a tattoo can you still vote ?
Trev..
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

My Aussie friend was telling me it's not compulsory to actually vote there but it is compulsary to go to the polling station on polling day and receive your voting slip. You can then rip it up or spoil it. You can register for a postal vote as well but if you don't do one or the other you can be fined. A similar system would (to my mind) be a good idea for the UK as it appears lethargy is part of the problem in getting people out to vote.
Jim
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Austin7 wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:25 am
trevnhil wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:42 am If you are over 70, have a piercing and a tattoo can you still vote ?
Perhaps people who ask such stupid questions should not be allowed to vote :lol:
You could well be right there Austin ;-)
Trev..
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Trevor

Good one.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
tonee

Post by tonee »

So,how many people were in these "Polls"? Thousands?Millions? No mention of the amount of people "Polled",so in effect how can they say this is a true reflection??
josef k

Post by josef k »

The message here for me is that, given the tendency for older people to pass away and younger to reach 18, the longer this goes on the more likely a remain result in a second referendum. Therefore I advocate as much delay as possible.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

josef

I am thinking the opposite so who is right me or you ?

There is an old saying in Britain, 'you can't put an old head on young shoulders', those young people who will reach eighteen have no experience of life before Brexit, when our government made it's own laws and ruled us, rather than it be done by Europe as it is now, we remember those days.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
tyelaw47

Post by tyelaw47 »

I'm afraid you have rather missed the point Joseph k as the poll indicates that whilst the younger population wish to remain in the EU approx half of them cannot be bothered to vote! I seem to vaguely remember that in the Brexit vote many university students ( the future brains of the UK) got it wrong,something to do with their home address v university address and were unable to vote which seems to infer a rather careless attitude to their future.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

There were a lot of older people who 'couldn't be bothered' to vote too.

Jackie
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Why people think that the older generation don't have a right to vote is beyond me? They have paid their taxes & national insurance contributions, paid countless amounts into the economy & have helped fund various government projects, etc ............ oh and they are still contributing! Do we right them off like a bad debt or something because that's what some people seem to think! :(

Shane
josef k

Post by josef k »

Very true. However, My comment was based on a delay to an exit, rather than a future referendum on whether to remain out or apply to move back in.