Armed robbery at Paphos Mall

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
memory man

Armed robbery at Paphos Mall

Post by memory man »

€ 10,000 taken from money exchange on ground floor.
According to PafosPress, the offender wearing a sports hat entered the shop around 6:30 pm and, with a gun-like object, managed to get an employee of about € 10,000.
Uncle D

Re: Armed robbery at Paphos Mall

Post by Uncle D »

Aren't there armed police patrolling the Mall, or do they have a break at 6:30 every day ;)
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
memory man

Post by memory man »

This is the perpetrator of the armed robbery (pics)

josef k

Post by josef k »

mouse wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:24 pm This saddens me, almost makes me wish Cyprus would leave the eu and tighten up its borders !
So you know he isn't Cypriot then, because otherwise you could be accused of trying to make a political point out of someone else's misfortune. I'm sure that isn't the case.

As he spoke English and obviously wears dreadful shorts, he could well be British. Kick em all out I say.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:53 pm Sorry mouse you're not only prejudiced...but wrong! A few years ago I was selling to a Cypriot couple, both of whom were in the Police force. I made an observation about the recent increase in crime in Cyprus, particularly relating to burglaries. Both were quite emphatic that criminals were not limited to any one ethnic or national group. They were at pains to point out that ALL nationalities, including Cypriot and Brits, were just as likely to be criminal as any other.
At least for my home state of Bavaria that doesn´t seem to be true as 49% of all prison inmates are foreigners.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

jeba wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:59 pm
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:53 pm Sorry mouse you're not only prejudiced...but wrong! A few years ago I was selling to a Cypriot couple, both of whom were in the Police force. I made an observation about the recent increase in crime in Cyprus, particularly relating to burglaries. Both were quite emphatic that criminals were not limited to any one ethnic or national group. They were at pains to point out that ALL nationalities, including Cypriot and Brits, were just as likely to be criminal as any other.
At least for my home state of Bavaria that doesn´t seem to be true as 49% of all prison inmates are foreigners.
und die andere 51% ????
Louise :)
jeba

Post by jeba »

LouiseCastricum wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:04 pm
jeba wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:59 pm
und die andere 51% ????
Are from the pool of 88 % citizens and therefore underrepresented.
boycott

Post by boycott »

Jeba all that 49% of foreigners in prison shows is that the court system is biased against foreigners!

As in London, percentage wise there are more non white people imprisoned that white British who are in the vast majority.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I know Mouse, he does not have a prejudiced bone in his body, Mouse I suspect was going back in time when we could leave our doors unlocked and not worry about break ins etc. I once met a policeman et al is frankly irrelevant. Crime has increased, and we now need sadly to be aware of this and plan appropriatly. A sad reflection of the times we live in.

I repeat Mouse is not prejudiced.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Armed police still patrol the Mall, I know these guys and often have a coffee and a fag outside with them.
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

Criminals from all back grounds have seen that Cyprus is a trusting loving culture and have decided to pray on that. The police should take a heavy hand on small crimes as well to send a message out. Bloody shame this is happening on such a lovely island that people pull together and trust each other on values. Yeah the odd person tries a daft deal but this is just shit and needs stamping out. Sorry if you feel I'm wrong.
josef k

Post by josef k »

What evidence do you have that the police were slacking? It is likely they (there are only 2 of them, who patrol as a pair) would have been on one of the two shopping levels. This is why they are there, to show a presence and reassure the public vis-a-vis terrorism (similar to the presence at the airports), not specifically for shop security reasons.
The money exchange is on level -1 which is the upper of the two car park levels. Below the supermarket, in the same area as the hairdressers and key cutter. It is quite separate from the main shopping area.
I feel for the girls who work there. They are very customer-focused and helpful. I hope the one that was on duty is OK. A shame nothing about this is in the reports.
jeba

Post by jeba »

boycott wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:06 pm Jeba all that 49% of foreigners in prison shows is that the court system is biased against foreigners!
Yes, and it seems to be biased against males as well (more than 90 % are men) :lol:
Last edited by jeba on Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thank goodness the police were not in situ, can you imagine the consequences of a shoot out in that area???
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Or gone to the north maybe, until the fuss dies down?

Dee