Smart phones

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Jim B

Re: Smart phones

Post by Jim B »

I know we all have different opinions but I was given an Huawei by the company I work for and I wasn't impressed, gave it back and used my own Samsung J7 which is a dual SIM. I personally find Samsung more user friendly.

Jim
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

My 18 year old - a previous Samsung user, loves his Huawei P10. He's had it for about 8 months with no probs.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Fisherman Phil

Post by Fisherman Phil »

Tremigirl wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:41 pm Come on you lovely people give me your opinions on which phone to buy.
I phone or Samsung?
Thank you.
TREMIGIRL - What did you get in the end?7
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

I read about the perceived security risk with the Huwawei infrastructure equipment as referenced in this article some time ago. Infrastructure equipment is a very different thing to a smartphone, so in the meantime I will continue to use my Huwawei P10 Lite, probably the best value-for-money phone I've ever owned (and I've had Samsung and Apple phones) without any fear or trepidation.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

The wife has a Samsung Galaxy 8 and it is an amazing piece of kit, even with the cover closed it shows who the caller is; makes the P10 look old fashioned. As said earlier I have a J7 which is very good and I also have a Galaxy Note 8 which has the rounded edges on the screen. Most of the parts on an I phone are manufactured by Samsung anyway so to my mind you are paying for an overpriced rebranded Samsung when you buy an I phone.
Jim
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

mouse wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:48 pm With many smartphone experts reading this thread I have a question, I checked spec, visually compared performance , what can an 1100 or 1200 euro smart phone do that a 400 one cant ?
No idea, but I paid less than half the cost of the cheaper price you mentioned for my current smartphone and it does everything I could possibly want it to do... emails, apps, messages, photos, sharing facilities are all so easy and - it even makes phone calls!
The best thing of all is my free "Here Drive" app which helps us find our way around all these little villages and winding roads when we don't have a clue which direction we're heading in and more importantly, one particular button from that app which says "Take Me Home" - works every time.
No internet connection needed and no need to buy a Tom Tom or any other gizmo for use inside the car.

I used to love the ease of use of my previous Windows operated phone but Microsoft stopped doing updates for it and I got a bit frustrated with the apps not working the same (it was a €99 smartphone bought from the Cyta shop 2+ years before we left Cyprus).

In fact, I was dreading moving back to an Android but would never go down the Apple/iPhone route based purely on the cost for the same reasons in your question. But things have moved on since I bought my previous Android before I purchased my Nokia Windows smartphone and I'm now extremely happy and very much in love with my Moto G5s bought online directly from the Motorola website. I use mine for surfing the web via Free WiFi hotspots when we're outside the home, I don't have free calls, texts or data packages. I use it purely on Pay As You Go just as we did in Cyprus and shove 20 quid on it about every 4 months.

The screen display on my Nokia was always nice and clear but the Motorola beats it. I've taken photos with it, uploaded them to my photo selling account thinking they would never get approved - but they do!

Don't be pushed into paying the highest price - just check the phone does what you want it to do, which mostly is make/receive calls and texts. Anything else is a bonus!
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I think it's to do with the quality of the screen and the cameras. An ultra hires screen is a double edged sword though. All those extra pixels eat up bandwidth.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Tremigirl

Post by Tremigirl »

Fisherman Phil and all of you that have kindly given me your opinions on Smartphones.
I still haven't made up my mind yet and still have my Siswoo.
As I ave an Apple I pad and love it I am still thinking towards an Apple iPhone.
Thank you for all your help I will post when I decide which one to get.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

It is all about screen, camera and processor. The latest I Phone X uses the Samsung screen used on the Galaxy 8. I was reading last night that Samsung make more profit on the sale of every I Phone X than they do on the sale of their own Galaxy 8. The wife's phone is a "free" contract phone and my J7 was two hundred quid. Most people get their expensive phones on contract.
Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Mouse
You could say that about anything, cars, tv's, camera's; what suits you may not suit others.

Jim
P.S. I do a lot of international travelling that's why I have a dual SIM phone.
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

5 years ago I would have said Iphone, it was streets ahead of Samsung but things have changed and I have to say I now think Samsung to be the better phone and at half the price, it's a no brainer.

Also with an Iphone if you want a lot of memory you have to pay for a much more expensive phone, with the Samsung you can fit a larger memory card for a few Euro.

Gary.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

There is not a lot of difference in the price of the top end Samsung phones versus the iPhones.
JimX

Post by JimX »

I have used Samsung phones for a number of years, always impressed with there photo capabilities, a phone for me is just that, I really only need a great camera as I find it hard work carrying SLRs and lens etcetera, so an all-new S9 would be nice but my old Samsung J6 is just what I need and only a couple of hundred euros.

Only one problem I have had with any mobile is water, they do not work from immersion in water I have found, the new S9 is supposed to be waterproof a definite advantage for a cackhanded owner like me.

Photo a Samsung J6...Excellent model.
Attachments
27971779_163794481078832_3276341641671117804_n.jpg
27971779_163794481078832_3276341641671117804_n.jpg (22.31 KiB) Viewed 4500 times
Jim.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Allesley wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:44 am Only one problem I have had with any mobile is water, they do not work from immersion in water I have found, the new S9 is supposed to be waterproof a definite advantage for a cackhanded owner like me.

Speaking of which; I flew my quad copter right into the swimming pool the other week and after jumping in to retrieve it and then stopping crying I went on YouTube. I tried some of the tips on drying it out and they appear to have worked; you are not alone Jim

Jim
JimX

Post by JimX »

I tried the rice dry out method, unfortunately, it did not work, still dead or dying after several days, the only real answer is to buy a waterproof phone, they are available.
Jim.
jeba

Post by jeba »

glang3000 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:20 am 5 years ago I would have said Iphone, it was streets ahead of Samsung but things have changed and I have to say I now think Samsung to be the better phone and at half the price, it's a no brainer.

Also with an Iphone if you want a lot of memory you have to pay for a much more expensive phone, with the Samsung you can fit a larger memory card for a few Euro.

Gary.
iphones don´t coma as dual-sims. That alone is reason enough for me to not even consider it.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jim B wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:25 am
Allesley wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:44 am Only one problem I have had with any mobile is water, they do not work from immersion in water I have found, the new S9 is supposed to be waterproof a definite advantage for a cackhanded owner like me.

Speaking of which; I flew my quad copter right into the swimming pool the other week and after jumping in to retrieve it and then stopping crying I went on YouTube. I tried some of the tips on drying it out and they appear to have worked; you are not alone Jim

Jim
My drone tanked when it went for a dip in our pool. It was only a cheap one I had bought to see if drones and me got on. We didn't.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dominic
It's a DJI Phantom hence the years.

Jim
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Is there a left handed version? Fed up with my Samsung Phone that works better if a right handed person is using it eg swiping the screen takes me a few attempts to get it to work.
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:04 pm Even a right-handed person (like me) can sometimes take a few swipes to get it to work. There is a definite technique to swiping though. But I must admit that it must be a lot harder to swipe-right if you are left-handed.

In a similiar vein, I thought my s-in-l was having me on last week when he referred to his 'left-handed' Hellenic cheque book. I absolutely refused to believe him...until he showed me his genuine left-handed cheque book :?
Lloyd Oh ye of little faith :lol:

Rita