No deal Brexit - UK expat pensioners could be chucked under the bus?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Rita Sherry

Re: No deal Brexit - UK expat pensioners could be chucked under the bus?

Post by Rita Sherry »

Dee

Australia and Canada have their own pension systems in which British ex pats are members. Those countries provisions re immigration were for younger working people not retirees so the former would be subject to insurance etc rules of that country. Anyone when reaching retirement age is entitled to the pension from the UK to which they are entitled but not the annual increases due to their entitlement as described above.

Rita
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Hi Rita,
Yes thanks. I do know this. My sister has worked in both the UK and Australia,for some years and is eligible to receive her UK pension now she has reached retirement age. She is married to an Australian but has retained her British nationality. I shared this as my post reflected her position and how she deals with it. If her pension were paid to her in Australia the amount would be frozen. So she has it paid to her UK bank account. After all she has earned it while working in the UK. UK retirement pensions are tiny compared to what many other pensioners in EU countries receive.
Dee
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Hi Rita,
Yes thanks. I do know this. My sister has worked in mainly in the UK, for some years and is eligible to receive her UK pension now she has reached retirement age. She is married to an Australian but has retained her British nationality. I shared this as my post reflected her position and how she deals with it. If her pension were paid to her in Australia the amount would be frozen. So she has it paid to her UK bank account. After all she has earned it while working in the UK. UK retirement pensions are tiny compared to what many other pensioners in EU countries receive.
Dee
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Hi Rita,
Yes thanks. I do know this. My sister has worked in mainly in the UK, for some years and is eligible to receive her UK pension now she has reached retirement age. She is married to an Australian but has retained her British nationality. I shared this as my post reflected her position and how she deals with it. If her pension were paid to her in Australia the amount would be frozen. So she has it paid to her UK bank account. After all she has earned it while working in the UK. UK retirement pensions are tiny compared to what many other pensioners in EU countries receive.
Dee
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I think that Mrs May is doing her utmost to keep the EU members happy, rather than keeping the electorate happy and that is a grave error of judgement.

There is now a movement growing in the county where I live to force Brexit to happen giving us the things that we as Brexiteers voted for, i.e. to leave the EU, not to leave a bit here and a bit there, we don't want it, but Mrs May is at heart a remainer and seems to be bending over backwards, in vain I might add, to please the EU rulers and gain acceptance of her policies.

For Heaven's sake, we the people don't want her grovelling at the feet of the EU leaders, they mean nothing to us now, even less after Brexit. Brexiteers are becoming restless, she needs to stop pandering to the UE, she is obviously wasting her time.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
clive of payia

Post by clive of payia »

UK Pensions will not be affected by Brexit, why should they? UK Pensions have been paid overseas for years, except that a few do not get the annual increase but retirees know that before they leave the UK.

Its if the UK stayed in the EU that UK pensions would be dramatically affected. Remember the EU is, without a vote, introducing an EU wide pension. So the rich northern EU countries will pass their hard-earned national pension pots to the potless southern countries - aren't you glad we are leaving. As for private pensions, which are mostly a UK thing in the EU, they have the charmless Gordan Brown's example of how to raid private pension funds.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I think that opinions among voters are as divided as among members of the Govt and the political parties.
Where I am living (in UK) there are a number of people who feel that the best thing that Mrs May can do is to have a 2nd referendum. A lot of people who originally voted for the Brexit only did so because they were concerned about immigration numbers into the UK. They had no idea about all the other ramifications of leaving the EU. In fact the UK continues to need workers from the EU....

Dee
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

democracy should mean, that if a large number want a second referendum, it should be held. Particularly since the first was so poorly run and broke laws.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Jimgward wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:52 pm democracy should mean, that if a large number want a second referendum, it should be held. Particularly since the first was so poorly run and broke laws.
The problem with that is you then get the keep asking until we get the response we want accusations which might or might not be true.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Whatever members think the vote was far from democratic, the truth of the outcome was never told to the UK public, take the vote again as this is a total disaster for the UK, I see NO benefits of any kind. We will all be long dead if there is any good from this stupid vote.

And I certainly did not vote to leave, and to say this will not affect UK pensions it already has, remember the exchange rate before this awful vote?
Jim.
Alewfin

Post by Alewfin »

Democracy was not seen to be done.

Many expats were excluded from voting.

We now know that the 'people' were manipulated and lied to and not told of the implications of leaving the EU. The 'people' narrowly voted to leave the EU without any plans from any political parties or any leading Brexiteers on what to do.

Would anyone vote for a party in a General Election that didn't have any policies or ideas ?

Mrs May has only three options. Leave without a deal. Remain in the EU. Become a member of body affiliated to the EU (EEA).

Parliament should vote on the options available and the Executive manage the outcome.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Alewfin wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:53 pm ...
Mrs May has only three options. Leave without a deal. Remain in the EU. Become a member of body affiliated to the EU (EEA).

Parliament should vote on the options available and the Executive manage the outcome.
This I agree with. Almost from day 1 Barnier has been consistently saying similar. The choices I see are leave without a deal, revoke Article 50, customs union (like Turkey), EEA (effectively a BrINO), EFTA (like Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein) or Canada.
Alewfin

Post by Alewfin »

HIC, The other benefit of immigration was that the UK (unlike Italy, Japan and some others) avoided the demographic time bomb of a rapidly aging and costly to maintain population supported by a decreasing number of tax payers. The inverse pyramid.

Modern countries have to find a way to fund an elderly growing population, that is increasingly expensive, from tax generated from its working population. All the research that has been produced over the years supports the view that those people who have come to the UK have contributed to the wealth of the country and have not been a drain on the country.

What will never be published, because it is dynamite, is the breakdown by nationality of all those claiming benefit as it is generally suspected that the vast majority of those claiming benefits are the indigenous British and not foreigners.

Successive governments could have reduced immigration but choose not to do so. What they failed to do was ensure that all the public services and utilities could support the increased size of the population.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell, a minority of the UK voters, voted to leave the EU - no pre-conceived conditions, ideas - other than lies on what it might mean.

It now looks like Russian money funded the leave campaign. Russian influence also manipulated some voters.

This isn’t democracy - it’s autocracy of the worst kind and as someone said, NO benefits have been shown. We will all be dead in 50 years and our children and grandchildren will curse our choices.

I would have another vote, with no-one of retirement age, allowed to vote, that’s how anti I now am about this shambles, This is the future of the next generations and how dare we selfishly handicap them
JimX

Post by JimX »

[quote=Hudswell post_id=64685 time=1532886964 user_id=198]
Jim, you didn't vote...but millions did in the uk and voted to leave the EU...yes exchange rates have fallen...they were artificially high and now,...well I believe artificially low...I can see them levelling at 1.20 ish in time...there will not be another referendum..the UK will leave the EU and will survive and prosper...cracks in the Eu technocrat approach to negotions are appearing...a no deal will be as hurtful to the EU as it is to UK, sometime you have to look beyond your own situation to see a benefit to the rest..and yes "expats" if they bothered themselves could have re- registered and voted..and many probably some did...if you didn't well ..perhaps just stop your whinging...
[/quote]

If you are referring to my sensible post then I have to say I most certainly did vote to remain, perhaps you are the member who is whining, if you did vote to leave then it is down to you and those that did for those who are about to lose jobs, maybe hudswell has some good news for you, I say take the vote again we all know what the outcome would be, it may save the UK from committing economic suicide.

We intend to stay for the rest of our natural lives on Cyprus, guess what we are in the EU and we still do not have a proper sewage system.

Where some of these comments should go.

Exchange rates Hudswell you are talking complete nonsense, you are already worse off and the UK is still in the EU, just think what will go down when the UK does leave, it does not bear thinking about, I hope you have a very secure pension.
Jim.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Exactly Hudswell, it is a complete shambles because of the way the government is handling the Brexit negotiations. If there had been a united front right from the day the vote to leave Brexit took place the UK would be in a far better position than it is now. The UK people voted to leave but the ministers who voted to remain, rather than unite and get the best possible deal, are not carrying out their wishes.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The ministers tried to negotiate the best deal, but self-serving twats like Rees-Mogg, Johnson, Gove and others will never accept anything other than a hard-brexit, no-deal. They certainly wont want to lead the country through that themselves, they’re cowards... but they will pop up later, when we are in the mire and they their ilk are filling their pockets while most are suffering - and then they’ll try to act like knights coming to the country’s rescue....
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

galexinda wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:54 am Exactly Hudswell, it is a complete shambles because of the way the government is handling the Brexit negotiations. If there had been a united front right from the day the vote to leave Brexit took place the UK would be in a far better position than it is now. The UK people voted to leave but the ministers who voted to remain, rather than unite and get the best possible deal, are not carrying out their wishes.
How can you blame the ministers who voted to remain? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The problem is that the ministers who voted leave all resigned. They realised what a clusterfup they had caused and buggered off leaving it up to the remainers to try and sort out the best they could.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Lloyd

The article you posted is not fact, pure scaremongering yet again. Is it in the hope that Brexiteers like me might change their minds ? not a hope in hell, and yes, if it's a hard Brexit, which the EU leaders will make sure happens, so be it.

Dominic

If the leave faction in parliament would not accept Mrs May's proposals for Brexit, then they voted with their feet. The problem is that the remainers do not want Brexit, and as I see it, will deliberately fudge the process in an effort to hang on to the UE. This is not what we voted for.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

What about Johnson and Gove both quitting the leadership election? That was the start.

Besides, the members of parliament were elected to do what they see as best for their constituents.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.