Why is Trump so keen on Putin?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
OhSusana

Why is Trump so keen on Putin?

Post by OhSusana »

The Republican party is traditionally strongly against Russian intervention anywhere in the world.
Look at the recent speeches of one of their more senior statesmen, Sen J McCain.
This is from the Express -

John McCain labels Vladimir Putin ‘a THUG and a KILLER’ as global tensions intensify
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/742 ... republican

Trump seems completely out of step with his party on this. So why?
Certainly Trump sees certain things he likes in Putin - control of the press, murder of journalists who oppose his thinking, basically a facist but yet under a "communist" idiology theoretically.

Putin is particularly close to Corbyn's chief aide - Seamus Milne, an editor at the Guardian. In fact Milne - a devoted Stalinist - has even attended conferences with Putin!
So Trump - through Putin - is united with the Labour ultra-left?!
What is going on here. What does Trump really like?
1. Grabbing women by the pussy, and 2. Money (which he feels then gives him "star status" to grab women by the pussy. )

It appears lots of Trump's buddies have serious connections with Putin and his Russian billionaires.

Trump and Russia: All the Mogul’s Men
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... s-men.html

Handwritten documents recovered after Yanukovych fled show that from 2007 to 20012 Manafort received $12.7 million in undisclosed cash payments from the Party of Regions. However, the real sum may be more than that since Manafort continued to work for Yanukovych’s party even after the president took up residence in Russia.

A lot of dodgy Russian money slushing around amongst Trump's buddies.

Something very very strange somewhere. .... and I suspect "money" is somewhere at the bottom of it all ...
OhSusana

Re: Why is Trump so keen on Putin?

Post by OhSusana »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:45 pm Possibly because they are two of a kind, both Mavericks. Money could be at the bottom of it, as you suggest. But, as an aside, no sooner had Trump got into the White House than Putin got up to his old tricks in the Ukraine.

Difference is that Putin 'eliminates' those who stand against him: Polonium, RTA, hit squad, whatever...
I have to say, your knowledge of world events, Sir, is second to none.... I found this...

Trump is sworn in, rockets fall on Ukraine
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 644e9f7653

Putin seems to see Trump as a green light for stepping up his war in Ukraine. What a contrast to McCain.
Maybe Putin wants to roll his tanks all the way back to Dresden - i believe Putin started his career there in the KGB - now called the SBU - I think, but don't quote me on that! And he regrets the fall of the USSR.
He learnt his techniques from the dreaded Stasi. ... say no more....
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

It never ceases to amaze me that people still cite the Express as a reliable news source. Decades ago it was a great paper. When Peter Tory was there it was an interesting read. These days it is just a joke though. Sporting Sam must be spinning in his grave.

Why are you so fascinated by Trump?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Dominic wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:20 pm It never ceases to amaze me that people still cite the Express as a reliable news source. Decades ago it was a great paper. When Peter Tory was there it was an interesting read. These days it is just a joke though. Sporting Sam must be spinning in his grave.

Your last sentence is one I keep wonder about. Much as I loathe what I see of Trump I don't want to obsess over him like some posters appear to.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Have you taken over the mantle of Mr Noddy? :?

Shane
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Has who taken over?
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

Dominic wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:20 pm It never ceases to amaze me that people still cite the Express as a reliable news source. Decades ago it was a great paper. When Peter Tory was there it was an interesting read. These days it is just a joke though. Sporting Sam must be spinning in his grave.

I was criticised on this forum by somebody for citing from "The Independent". And that person quoted from "The Express"; hence my decision to quote from the Express. So - slightly tongue in cheek... I agree. That paper is a piece of pure garbage.
Here is McCain - video - WP - a source a presume you approve of more strongly?! :D

Your question - mmm..
Trump - I see as all part of the Brexit - right-wing - movement. Le Pen in France, Farage in the UK, the Tory right-wing, the Dutch right wing. Yes - he is in America, but I see him as symptomatic of a movement to roll back press freedoms, and other basic freedoms in the civilised world.
Of course, everybody is worried about terrorism, and indeed about immigration. These issues have been too long ignored, but Trump - he is a complete baboon.
I got an email from a good friend in Florida last night. He's really worried about the direction America is going in. He also said that many who voted for Trump now really regret their decision. Sounds like Brexit again.

Two posts from the papers today -

Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin 'trying to redraw the map of Europe', former French PM warns
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 67971.html

2nd post - about the Dutch right wing. I'll try and find.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

OhSusana wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:08 pm
Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin 'trying to redraw the map of Europe', former French PM warns

I think the tag "trying to redraw the map of Europe" is just a tiny bit inflammatory, as it conjures up visions of tanks rolling into capital cities and the like. They map of Europe is unaffected by who is in and out of the EU, unless very large bombs are involved.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I am not accusing you of being inflammatory, but the article title itself.
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

Why Dutch populist Geert Wilders is scenting victory
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38891753

When Dutch populist Geert Wilders promises to stop Islam and make the Netherlands great again, his message finds a ready audience in the country's newest city of Almere....
Opinion polls suggest support for a Dutch "Nexit" in the months after the Brexit vote fell by 8% to 25%. Pollsters say people have realised that leaving the EU would be more complicated than they thought.
"If you sell to other countries and we're not in the EU anymore it's difficult," says Richard as he sells slabs of Edam cheese.
With the financial crisis over in the Netherlands, the economy is growing and has faded as an election issue. Instead, immigration is expected to dominate the campaign....

Make the Netherlands great again!
The re-emergence of nationalism in Europe? I believe Wilders has been convicted of inciting racial discrimination...
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

My own view is that there is not a single daily newspaper in the UK that is reliable. In my long-distant youth, the Times was and without inflammatory headlines; in fact, the front page was small ads and hatches, matches and despatches!!
2017-02-08_132654.png
2017-02-08_132654.png (83.41 KiB) Viewed 5174 times
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Richard Dawkins summed it up in a recent tweet. Now I don't usually use twitter, Richard Dawkins annoys me, and the term "Gullible fools" is unfair, but I think he is right with where the blame lies.

"Gullible fools who believed Trump’s lies or Brexit lies are less to blame than those who believed the polls & lazily didn’t bother to vote"
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Devil wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:32 pm My own view is that there is not a single daily newspaper in the UK that is reliable. In my long-distant youth, the Times was and without inflammatory headlines; in fact, the front page was small ads and hatches, matches and despatches!!

2017-02-08_132654.png
Am I the only one who read your last line and added "these are a few of my favourite things"?
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

Dominic wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:15 pm
OhSusana wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:08 pm

I think the tag "trying to redraw the map of Europe" is just a tiny bit inflammatory, as it conjures up visions of tanks rolling into capital cities and the like. They map of Europe is unaffected by who is in and out of the EU, unless very large bombs are involved.
it conjures up visions of tanks rolling into capital cities

But tanks - hundreds and hundreds of them - have rolled into Ukraine, on Europe's border with Russia!

Separatist fighter admits Russian tanks, troops 'decisive in eastern Ukraine battles'
Head of rebel special forces detachment says regular army units from Russia play key role in victories

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... ttles.html
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yes but that is an ongoing issue that is completely separate from what the body of the article was going on about. To me, the article was talking about individual trade deals with member states being used to destabilise Europe. It wasn't about actual invasions.
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

Dominic wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:02 pm Yes but that is an ongoing issue that is completely separate from what the body of the article was going on about. To me, the article was talking about individual trade deals with member states being used to destabilise Europe. It wasn't about actual invasions.
Your opinion, obviously. And I take your point. But I read this comment a little differently - as indeed did the author of this in the French Press -

"Trump et Poutine veulent redessiner la carte de l'Europe"
http://www.7sur7.be/7s7/fr/14716/Presid ... rope.dhtml
Commenting on the Independent article, it quotes others also from the Malta gathering - here Tusk -
Aujourd'hui, nous devons gérer des menaces inédites, en tout cas, qui n'avaient jamais été d'une telle importance. Une Chine qui s'affirme de plus en plus, la politique agressive de la Russie à l'égard de l'Ukraine et de ses voisins, les guerres,

Different tribes, different scribes, as the anthropologist might say.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Osusanna
"Sounds like Brexit again. "

And your evidence is..................??
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

What is Putin doing domestically in Russia currently -

Russian newspaper tells women to be 'proud of their bruises' as state partially decriminalises domestic violence
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 70351.html
Komsomolskaya Pravda is a Putin paper, as they all are in Russia.

i know some of you will ask for the evidence. I believe the article referred to is here -
http://www.kp.ru/daily/26638.4/3656727/
The heading clearly about abusive men having more sons - hence the justification for violence against women.
I have only skim read the article in its Russian original, to be honest. It just disgusts me too much.

He [author] has also stated African countries suffer from poverty due to “low IQs”, and that black women are “objectively less attractive”.
The move to partially decriminalise domestic violence in Russia has sparked worldwide anger.

Wikipedia saying 14,000 women die from domestic violence each YEAR in Russia. No wonder Trump loves the place - as he says - Grab women by the pussy.

Smudger - after Brexit reports in papers said many were shocked and said they only voted for Brexit as a protest.
In America many voted for Trump due to his strong stance on immigration. And my friend in Florida says many are now regretting their decision!

As for the French fascist right - Le Pen -
Marine Le Pen backs Vladimir Putin and denies invasion of Crimea
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 66196.html

A theoretical lover of the Soviet Union - communism - and a fascist united in their craving for authoritarianism. Putin and Le Pen.
Also - Le Pen - heavily funded - big big loan - from a "Russian" bank. She says - "no connection"..... yeah... :lol:
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

OhSusana wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:00 pm What is Putin doing domestically in Russia currently -

Russian newspaper tells women to be 'proud of their bruises' as state partially decriminalises domestic violence

i know some of you will ask for the evidence. I believe the article referred to is here -
The heading clearly about abusive men having more sons - hence the justification for violence against women.
I have only skim read the article in its Russian original, to be honest. It just disgusts me too much.

He [author] has also stated African countries suffer from poverty due to “low IQs”, and that black women are “objectively less attractive”.
The move to partially decriminalise domestic violence in Russia has sparked worldwide anger.

Wikipedia saying 14,000 women die from domestic violence each YEAR in Russia. No wonder Trump loves the place - as he says - Grab women by the pussy.

Smudger - after Brexit reports in papers said many were shocked and said they only voted for Brexit as a protest.
In America many voted for Trump due to his strong stance on immigration. And my friend in Florida says many are now regretting their decision!

A theoretical lover of the Soviet Union - communism - and a fascist united in their craving for authoritarianism. Putin and Le Pen.
Also - Le Pen - heavily funded - big big loan - from a "Russian" bank. She says - "no connection"..... yeah... :lol:
I saw a headline regarding decriminalising domestic violence in Russia if no bones are broken. I cannot begin to express my utter disgust for this. I couldn't read the article as I think I would have thrown my computer out of the window. Unbelievable.
keving

Post by keving »

OhSusana wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:00 pm What is Putin doing domestically in Russia currently -

I too wonder what Trump thinks about Putin's change in the law regarding domestic violence ...

From now on, beatings of spouses or children that result in bruising or bleeding but not broken bones are punishable by a fine of up to 30,000 rubles (£400), if they do not happen more than once a year. Previously, they carried a maximum jail sentence of two years.

Given that the fine of up to 30,000 rubles will obviously come out of family budgets, does any one think that in themselves these fines will be a big disincentive to complain?