Long-anticipated Paphos marina envisioned to be "the largest in Cyprus"

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Long-anticipated Paphos marina envisioned to be "the largest in Cyprus"

Post by Paphos Life »

Energy Minister Giorgos Lakkotrypis informed the Parliament about the long-awaited Paphos marina project, which is envisioned to be the largest in Cyprus. The new marina is expected to have a capacity of 1,000 berths, including at the same time more than 42,000 square metres of residential and commercial developments....

Read the article and chat about it below...
Reesy

Re: Long-anticipated Paphos marina envisioned to be "the largest in Cyprus"

Post by Reesy »

Looks mighty impressive...but does anyone really believe it could be completed in three years! The T.O.T.K. Road took that. The record of starting and finishing projects in Paphos is horrendous...The Walkway and what has happened to the new cafe overlooking the car park in town...will it ever be finished. With most of these projects , once started the costs soar and many of the sub - contractors go bust. I do not want to be negative , but I very much doubt if it will be started in three years...
jandk

Post by jandk »

Watch out for those pigs overhead.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

So far nothing has been said recently about plans to upgrade the Coral Bay Rd.. Unless all materials and construction plant and heavy machinery (for the new marina) which will no doubt be required, are to be transported by sea, how will the existing narrow road cope with all the extra traffic? Especially as we are also in the middle of the summer tourist season.

Dee
Alewfin

Post by Alewfin »

The first thing to be constructed should be a road through the banana plantations inland from and be parallel with the present Coral Bay road to bypass all the heavy construction traffic that will use the current Coral Bay road.

If they don't, the disruption could be the death of tourism in the area as people will be reluctant to travel on that road with all the heavy construction traffic. It will also be an area of accidents just waiting to happen.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Flossie,
Do you have contacts who can be persuaded at the Kissonerga Municipality to publish these plans for the improvement of the road, or at least get more info from them as to when any road works are likely to start? Is Kissonerga expected to pay for the construction of a new road? If not where will the money required come from?

Dee
El tel

Post by El tel »

They have to level the sea first , that is going to be the major problem.

Terry
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, it probably will, much of the sea bed is very rocky and at least some of that coast has deep shelves of rock. There are also lots of rocks around waiting to tear out the bottom of a boat... Add to that the fact that much of Potima Bay is very exposed to the weather and has notorious rip currents...

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I will pop down next week to get some info and do a blog about it.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Keith

Post by Keith »

Something I really didn’t want is this marina, not just the disruption and the wagons and the rest of it but the spoiling of such beautiful views when I am coming home from Paphos or going to Paphos via home.
Instead of beautiful turquoise waters and banana trees I will see concrete buildings.
I can’t wait NOT!👎👎👎👎👎
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Ah but Keith. If you were born in Paphos . . . . . .would you have the same opinion?

MB
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Hudswell wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:09 am I do like Limmasol Marina and it fits nicely into the "Urban" Environment, being developed on what was a "Brown Site".The proposed Paphos Marina I suggest is different, and will impact significantly on what is an area of "Outstanding Natural Beauty". The concreatification of Cyprus marches on....the problem is that this "Project" has been dragging on for years, things have changed, the proposed "Marina" in Geriskipou, does the area need two marinas? Do those that approve these plans have a long term Stratigic plan? I somehow doubt it.
The area of LAND around where the Marina will be built is NOT and area of "Outstanding Natural Beauty". It is and was a neglected land and an eyesore. The buildings that are allready in progress are attractive and once all is done it will be a huge attractive development to all on this beautifull Island Paradise
All things are possible
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

I think one should just take a minute to remember why we loved Cyprus in the first place

I certainly am not against moving forward but I am against greed and unnecessary development just take a look around at all those unfinished projects a total eyesore

Lemesos marina is fabulous but so is the location.......
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I say bring it on!
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

HIC you’ve said previously that the first time you cane to Cyprus was around 2005 and bought off plan.........so you would have no idea whatsoever about what the island looked like 20 or 30 years ago, as you are in business I do understand that development would have your stamp of approval.
Corfu has been developed like most Greek islands Sidari now is beyond recognition whether that’s right or wrong.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Lemesos marina is very impressive and it is in a perfect location. It does fit in well with the urban landscape around it, and it is well placed for sailors and people who have bought the high priced real estate there as it is immediately adjacent to all the facilities for entertainment, dining out and other services which the town offers.
Whereas Paphos Marina will be effectively out in the sticks. A twenty minute drive to Paphos on a congested road as there are only holiday type facilities available in Coral Bay. Ths is unlike other marinas which I have visited which were all a short stroll away from the local town.
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Latsi Marina isn't a short stroll away from the local town.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Hudswell wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:00 pm
Dominic wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:33 pm Latsi Marina isn't a short stroll away from the local town.
No it's in the town......😉
Latsi is hardly a town. I was referring to Polis.

To quote our old friend Wikipedia:

Latchi (also spelled Lachi, Latsi, and Lakki) is a small village that is part of the Polis municipality in Cyprus. It has a small harbour.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Flossie wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:02 pm In my opinion if you want to see an example of a marina that doesn't work or fit in with it's surroundings look no further than St Raphael on the far side of Limassol!
Well that is strange as it is always fully booked and a waiting list to get in there. :mrgreen: When we had our Yacht we could not get in there for love nor money. Hence the New splendid Limasol marina.
All things are possible
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

It’s true Flossie. I had friends who kept their yacht there until they moved it to - Turkey. This as a result of a huge hike in marina costs in Cyprus at that time. St Raphael was the only good marina in Limassol then.
It’s good that more marinas are opening around the Cyprus coast now as previously they were few and far between.
Dee