Dragonfly

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
aphrodite

Dragonfly

Post by aphrodite »

This dragonfly has been hovering around the pool today.

Can anyone please tell the name of this type of dragon fly? He is a deep maroon colour, body and wings, with a tinge of orange, in case it’s not clear in the photo.
ApusApus

Re: Dragonfly

Post by ApusApus »

Not an easy photo to id from but the underside of the eye looks bluish which would make it a Red-veined Darter, a male one at that!

Shane
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

Thanks Shane, I thought it would be you who would know the answer. I’ve just taken another one of the dragon fly showing a better colour, but I’ve looked it up and I think you’re spot on! 👍

Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

aphrodite wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:31 pm Thanks Shane, I thought it would be you who would know the answer. I’ve just taken another one of the dragon fly showing a better colour, but I’ve looked it up and I think you’re spot on! 👍

Wow what a lovely photo. Thanks for sharing this. We love to see them around the pool.
All things are possible
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

With the amazing two sets of wings that Mother Nature gave them, the dragonfly's ability to hover has always amazed me.. Such beautiful, harmless and colouful creatures!

They always remind me of a twin rotor Sykorsky helicopter, somehow..

AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:21 am Yes Al, and it makes you wonder where they disappear to for the other 10 months of the year.

Most of their life is spent in water, firstly as eggs deposited by the female, then as nymphs when they hatch. It is only after the latter stage that they emerge from the water & become adults, a process called incomplete metamorphosis, & then they only last a few weeks more before mating & dying!

Shane
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Two of them come every day near the pool. One red one and one blue one. Together with a very nice yellow butterfly. Beautiful.
Louise :)
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yes they regularly buzz around our pool too. Coupled with getting dive-bombed by the young swallow family, it makes for a very enjoyable afternoon swim. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.