CAR PARKING ON MESOGI(POLIS)ROAD

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
JimX

Re: CAR PARKING ON MESOGI(POLIS)ROAD

Post by JimX »

As posted we used that term as kids, Nark is what it is the links says, just as the fly parking link says..

I do not use the term now very often, but those "men" on mopeds handing out parking tickets near Paps in Lemba area on waste land come fairly close to that term. :lol:

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... glish/nark
Jim.
memory man

Post by memory man »

Allesley wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:25 pm three n**** on scooters sticking white tickets on cars parked on scrub-land near the Lemba Bizarre,
It may have been tickets on cars which were advertised FOR SALE, rather than just parking on waste ground, near the Bazaar.
Possiblely permission would be required to have car FOR SALE sign on private land !!
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

I have always understood a "Nark" to be someone who would "bubble" you.
JimX

Post by JimX »

MM, Not in this case, they were just parked up on scrubland. I do not think it would be a good idea to try and sell your car this way for a while.

These gents are on mopeds and are doing the rounds, I feel a complete waste of human resources, a lot of what goes on here is far worse and even more dangerous, the moped men also seen in the General Hospital area, a known car parking nightmare.

Yes Brom spot on...you've been narked as we say. :(
Last edited by JimX on Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim.
memory man

Post by memory man »

For all the years I've been going to the General Hospital,
I have never seen "the gents on mopeds" doing their rounds.

I've seen the doctors etc doing their rounds in the wards
but not the gents on mopeds. :?

NETSOTS
JimX

Post by JimX »

MM this is new war of fly parking on waste land and other areas, that is the point of this thread they are "doing the rounds" and the General Hospital parking is a know congestion area, I use the waste land at the foot of the hospital hill, I wont be on Monday next.
Jim.
TandC

Post by TandC »

Dominic wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:18 pm
TandC wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:52 pm We seem to have lost our way bit. I still dont understand the status of the piece of road between the yellow lines and the pavement. Or is it just"more road" i e not for parking or stopping
Look in the Cyprus Highway Code. A link was posted on this thread.
Yes that tends to confirm my "theory"that the piece between the yellow line and the pavement is just an extension of the road!
I think the problem is that in the UK we are used to yellow lines being alongside the pavement:not in the middle of the road!!
memory man

Post by memory man »

And here's another treasure, though I can't now remember where I came across it:

I've been "racking" my brains on this one.

Firstly, I thought it was the SI office, but now changed my mind.

Try and remember HiC and put me out of my misery :D
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I have no picture of this area... but the diagonal criss crossed lines have me puzzled.. The road is the one from Kennedy square out towards Cyta.. For around 200mts it is full of diagonal criss cross lines from kerb to kerb. What is this supposed to signify ???
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

From what I was told by staff at Kolios butchers yesterday, this blitz on parking is the Mayor of Paphos’s idea. Just as the huge increase of metal poles and bollards are in the old town. He has declared war on the poor motorist. While I can see he decided to do something to try to unclog narrow roads in some parts of the old town, but the shop keepers I have spoken to are against his over zealous approach as it affects their customers and their businesses and some are having a tough enough time anyway.
I can’t see why motorists parking on waste ground in places where this happens should be ticketed, at least their cars aren’t blocking the road.
I gather the mayor has or is making many enemies. But hey, all this tcket issuing must be netting a lot of money for Paphos Town Council, if everyone is actually paying these fines....
Dee
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

memory man wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:11 pm And here's another treasure, though I can't now remember where I came across it:

I've been "racking" my brains on this one.

Firstly, I thought it was the SI office, but now changed my mind.

Try and remember HiC and put me out of my misery :D
It is behind the Paphos Post office....

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Allesley wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:22 pm As posted we used that term as kids, Nark is what it is the links says, just as the fly parking link says..

I do not use the term now very often, but those "men" on mopeds handing out parking tickets near Paps in Lemba area on waste land come fairly close to that term. :lol:

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... glish/nark
No, they were traffic police. You would nark to them. They wouldn't nark on you. In London they just used "grass" instead of "nark". So you might get grassed up to the filth. That sort of thing.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Kili01 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:31 pm From what I was told by staff at Kolios butchers yesterday, this blitz on parking is the Mayor of Paphos’s idea. Just as the huge increase of metal poles and bollards are in the old town. He has declared war on the poor motorist. While I can see he decided to do something to try to unclog narrow roads in some parts of the old town, but the shop keepers I have spoken to are against his over zealous approach as it affects their customers and their businesses and some are having a tough enough time anyway.
I can’t see why motorists parking on waste ground in places where this happens should be ticketed, at least their cars aren’t blocking the road.
I gather the mayor has or is making many enemies. But hey, all this tcket issuing must be netting a lot of money for Paphos Town Council, if everyone is actually paying these fines....
Dee

The problem with parking in Paphos (and all of Cyprus for that matter) is that motorists ignore all warnings like yellow lines, no parking notices, disabled parking bays, etc! So the only recourse is to physically stop them from them parking which is why we have all these poles & bollards springing up all over the place! Hey, I've even come across a driver parked on a roundabout reading his map trying to work out which way to go! :shock:

Shane
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It does notify no stopping, or a Box Junction.. under normal circumstances. But I am pretty certain it is not that. It covers a couple of hundred metres, and traffic cannot help but stop there because of the traffic lights at Kennedy square..
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You wouldn't get a box junction 200 metres long, as you are only supposed to enter when you can exit. We got an automatic ticket last time we were in London on a box junction.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

In the case of the post office, that is normally people stopping to check their mail box which is right next to that junction.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, where the Anavargos PO is concerned people seem to abandom their cars on either or both sides of the main road. This creates its own traffic hazard as the road is often busy these days. Sometims they ignore the small car park located conveniently next to the PO which is often not full.

Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

There are two car park near to the General Post office, one to the left and one to the right
Trev..
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I didn't know that the supermarket had sole use of the car park. There are no signs there and I assumed the car park was for both properties.. Are you sure of this fact.. ? Just asking..
Trev..
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

The lack of parking in Paphos town is a real issue. I know there are a couple of car parks but they are often full. The new car park opened near Kennedy square is full during the day. There is a large section for taxis and the rest are mostly taken up by people who work in the surrounding shops and offices. Therefore up to 1.30pm and after 3pm it's very difficult to find parking. I'm all for the regeneration of the town but if people cannot park, or are not clearly guided to public parking areas, they will not come and I fear it will fail.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way