Do you drink Keo

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
ast

Do you drink Keo

Post by ast »

Does anyone actually drink Keo lager, When in local bars and restaurants and you see both locals and expats having a beer It is usually a Carlsberg not a Keo, of course not always the case but more often than not I find it’s a Carlsberg being consumed.
Personally I don’t mind Keo although a couple is enough, I find it refreshing on a hot day but very gassy. What do other forum members think. 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
Lofos-5

Re: Do you drink Keo

Post by Lofos-5 »

I like the taste - and prefer it over a Carlsberg. Leon is nice too. I agree bottles are definitely much better than cans which we only buy to take to the beach.

(If you live in the Middle East, and it is dry for a month over Ramadan, even a Budweiser would be quite welcome :-))

A.
June

Post by June »

For me it's Keo bottles first then draught Carlsberg.
Leon only if no other choice.... insipid.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

When it’s very hot a Keo is refreshing sitting in a Taverna looking out to sea awaiting your lunch........bottle only
Ive never had a can 🤨
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

We used to run a bar for a while on the outskirts of Limassol. Our clientele were mostly Cypriot men with a handful of British expats.

The Cypriot men preferred Carlsberg, whiskey or zivania whilst most of the expats drank keo with the odd ones choosing Carlsberg....
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Fisherman Phil

Post by Fisherman Phil »

Carlsberg everytime, Keo has a tang that I don't like. If a bar only has Keo, I leave.
El tel

Post by El tel »

At Xmas I was given a book on the top 100 beers in the world , bottled Keo was among them . Not many people appreciate that it is a real ale , that is the bottled ones not the cans.

Terry
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Carlsberg in bottles for me. I used to drink Keo but it is too gassy
Trev..
El tel

Post by El tel »

I saw a very unusual site in the Mill pub in Peyia some years ago. A man was drinking a bottled Keo and produced a swizzle stick and used it in is glass of beer to reduce the bubbles , a very expensive silver one I should add. You probably have to be a certain age to know what a swizzle stick is.

Terry
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Whilst on the subject of booze,the wife said to me that I have a drinking problem,,i said don't talk rubbish I don't have a problem drinking.
GreenArmy12

Post by GreenArmy12 »

When I was here in the forces during the 70's and 80's, the choice was really only Keo or Carlsberg, mainly bottled, or imported cans, tennants etc. I was always a Carlsberg man back then, but since settling here I have found that bottled Leon is my favourite, as it seems to be less gassy than the others. I blame the gassy beers overseas for years of acid reflux, which has left me with something called Barrat's Aesophagus (sp?).
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

GreenArmy12 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:41 am When I was here in the forces during the 70's and 80's, the choice was really only Keo or Carlsberg, mainly bottled, or imported cans, tennants etc. I was always a Carlsberg man back then, but since settling here I have found that bottled Leon is my favourite, as it seems to be less gassy than the others. I blame the gassy beers overseas for years of acid reflux, which has left me with something called Barrat's Aesophagus (sp?).
I pour any beer from about 30 cm to get a proper head. It looks much nicer in the glass, but the main reason for me was always that the gas goes with the froth. Same reason it upsets my stomach drinking sparkling wines. Here you can see one of my typical Saturday's fish lunch table, what I mean....

Max
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I like bottles of KEO and occasionally buy them in the UK - a bargain now that Scotland has increased minimum alcohol pricing and Keo is no longer much of a premium over local beers....

PhotoLady, did the locals really drink whiskey? I thought they’d prefer whisky......😀
Miyagi

Post by Miyagi »

I always ask for Keo first.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Yorkshire Rose from Aphrodite Brewery, and the very pleasant Czech - Kozel Beer - the Dark or Premium.
Don't care for Charlie, Leon, Keo, Heineken, Amstel etc
Coles

Post by Coles »

I too find Keo very gassy. My preference would be Leon over Carlsgerg assuming my favourite Mythos was not available.
josef k

Post by josef k »

I was always told the rule of thumb was Carlsberg for Cypriots and Keo for tourists. Personally I really don't like Keo as it's too gassy. Carlsberg is OK, but the local one for me is Leon in bottles. I also like the various Bulgarian beers you can get here. Pop into the nearest Bulgarian shop and you will find a range of brands in 3 litre bottles at a very good price. I did try Fix from Greece but it is truly horrible.

I guess we ought to mention the Beer Seller shop where you can get a wide range of British bottled beers.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

I enjoy Keo at home, properly chilled. Carlsberg is acceptable - and one of our local haunts does not serve Keo - but I have never enjoyed Leon.

I really used to enjoy Perlenbacher until a couple of years ago. We used to stock up in Lidl whenever we visited Paphos. But the last time we were there the price seemed to have shot up. There was a time you could pick up six bottles for under €5,00 - and occasionally eight bottles for the same price. But when we went there they were in packs of eighteen bottles (which was not a problem) but the price was much higher. Of course my mental maths could have been malfunctioning.
ast

Post by ast »

It is interesting to hear people's preferences I guess everyone is different in some way.
We were in a restaurant last Friday evening and it was very busy, I would say 20% of customers were Cypriot and the rest either tourists or expat residents, looking around the tables I could see only three bottles of keo compared to over a dozen carlsbergs,

Sorry Trev but have to say I am not a fan of Keo wines but that's another subject. 😎
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

ronk wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 11:35 pm >austin7 ..agreed a lovely pint ..have only drunk it up there at the brewery /restaurant. Can one buy it in bottles?..& if so is it any good?

On sale @ the Wooden Pub on the TOTK Rd ( opposite Pitstop ) and down the harbour near Pizza Express

On bottles and they have the Rose on Draught

Expensive though ! But you only get what you pay for