New Laptop

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: New Laptop

Post by Dominic »

I'm not saying they aren't useful. I was pointing out to Dee that people make a living out of sorting out probelms people have with Apple as well.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Aargent wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 5:02 pm
Aargent wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:36 am
J B wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:55 am I like Dominic's suggestion about an SSD as you can now get them at very good prices on Amazon, but who would fit and set it up here if you did not buy it from them ?
I would ask Computer SOS. If you don't ask, you won't know.
Something gone odd here, my post is missing but here is a quote from it with a reply attributed to me but I didn't write it. What is happening
Sorry, that was my mistake. I went to quote your post but I must have clicked the EDIT button by mistake. So I typed my reply directly into your post. I do apologise. :oops:
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

I've run two desktops side by side for a few years now, both HP (Compaq) SFF units and almost silent. One is Ubuntu 10 (Linux- my C++ / SH dev machine and server for my LAN), and the other is my Win7 main PC.

TBH, there's not a whole load of difference between the GUI on both platforms- they both perform pretty much the same functions. You just get used to the different graphics layouts, that's all. I don't need to reboot Linux for months on an end.

But M$ Windows likes a DAILY reboot in order to keep it happy (and correct memory leaks, etc)

Also- AV is not really an issue in Linux (hence Apple), unlike Windoze...

AL ;)
Gone but not forgotten...
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

Those of you who read the post that was inadvertently deleted will know that the Laptop went for a ' Hardware Service ' with SOS it is now back home and is working and has not cost a lot. I am in discussion with Brian about Dominic's suggestion of fitting an SSD and although he is more expensive than Amazon I think the advantage of Local Data Transfer and problem solving, should it be necessary, probably outweighs the difference so we will get that done and it will eventually become our Backup to replace the old Gateway.

I now have time to ponder about buying a new Laptop, which we will do, and I thank you for your suggestions and information.
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
JimX

Post by JimX »

Both my HP laptop and my Desktop PC have SSD cards fitted,(Windows 10 on both) had them for some time, the laptop is fitted on a carrier where the disc drive was fitted, easy to fit, they do make startups very fast, worth the money I feel. I now have to use a separate disc drive on my Laptop, no problem though. Purchased at a local outlet.

I do prefer Windows as they are easy to update and cheap to repair, I have had some years with Apple products, now use Samsung not windows for my phone, Apple stuff is too expensive for me to be honest.
Jim.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You can buy a caddy which lets you replace your laptop CD player with an SSD. My laptop actually has 2 SSDs, and an HDD. One of the SSDs came with the laptop. It is a small 128Gb device that runs the OS. Another 1TB SSD is plugged in instead of the CD player. And the laptop has a 1TB regular hdd drive.

The main desktop has a 256Gb SSD which has the OS. A 1TB internal HDD, and numerous external HDDs which can be hot swapped with the laptop.

What impressed me most, however, was that I am able to use an external 128GB SSD to store a virtual Linux machine, which I can share between the laptop and the desktop. It connects via USB3 and is much faster than running it on an regular HDD.

Even in the last year though, the price of SSDs have dropped significantly.
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

Wow ! That's some memory you've got there !
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Oops. 256Gb, not 256Tb

But I do have a lot of storage. Each photo is about 14Mb in size. When I take photos for a blog, I normally start off with over 100 and whittle them down.

And don't get me started on video.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Nevertheless, Dom, that is certainly one hell of an array and amount of storage you have in a laptop! Any doubts about possible PSU overload here?

Cheers- AL :?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

No. None whatsoever. Besides, SSDs use less power than ordinary HDDs, and the laptop is used for coding mainly, and photoshop. If I was using it for video editing I might have issues, but that is what the desktop is for.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

You cannot beat belts and braces, Lloyd. My motto all the way along...

AL ;)