Cyprus Visa for staying over 90 days.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Lincoln

Cyprus Visa for staying over 90 days.

Post by Lincoln »

This from Face Book today.

Cyprus’s embassy in London had four “visa application centres” launched by the UK-based VFS Global, tasked with accepting applications for visas from residents of the UK, which two years ago voted to leave the European Union.

“Although UK visitors do not need a visa if they are staying less than 90 days, the new service will be of use to those who stay longer, such as those with holiday homes, those who spend more time in Cyprus visiting relatives, or those on long term business trips,” the company which offers similar services to almost five dozen governments said in an emailed statement. “Foreign nationals living in the UK may need a visa for shorter periods, depending on their circumstances”.

VFS Global services are offered in four cities in the UK, London, Manchester, Edinburg and Cardiff, the company said. Cypriot High Commissioner to the UK Euripides Evriviades inaugurated the new service in the presence of VFS Global’s chief operating officer Anirudh Pratap Singh.

“For higher quality and a more personalised service, applicants can opt for the premium service at these centres that offer assistance by dedicated staff member during the submission process, including assistance in filling in the visa application and verification of documents and free access to photocopy, photo booth, SMS and courier services,” VFS Global said.

The UK is traditionally the largest source of incoming tourism for Cyprus which hosts a large community of British expats, including retired homebuyers.

“Many foreign nationals living in the UK also visit Cyprus each year,” said Singh. “We are confident that our world-class service expertise and service solutions like the premium service at our centres will ensure a pleasant experience and efficiently cater to increasing demand”.

The service includes application submission via prior appointment only, premium lounge offering personalised service, one-stop-shop for photocopy, photo-booth and printing services, passport delivery via courier service, SMS alerts on the status of an application and a website with information about visa categories, fees and more, VFS Global said.
Print FriendlyPrint Friendly
tourism UK
All things are possible
josef k

Re: Cyprus Visa for staying over 90 days.

Post by josef k »

Hardly surprising, and due to brexit. I suspect the 90 days refers to a total of 90 days in a rolling 12 months. Therefore those who spend over 3 months a year in Cyprus will need a visa. This might encourage those who refused to get a yellow slip to go for one after all (or whatever replaces it for UK citizens).
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Hudswell wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 4:16 pm I also suspect VFS Global services are more than happy to take advantage of any percieved uncertainty...
... and very happy to take your money for all services rendered!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

It seems sensible to me to get an MEU 3 residents permit while we can. Though it is a tedious process it may prove easier than trying to grapple with getting a 90 day visa. If that really is likely to be required post Brexit.
But of course at this stage no one can know what is going to happen here post Brexit.
But since we arrived to live in Paphos well before CY joined the EU, my memories of dealing with immigration in order to get pink , then yellow slips renewed in the early days are not particularly pleasant ones! A lot of queuing was usually involved as then there was no appointments system and only 20 ‘tickets’would be given out.

Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We have used Gwennys Red Tape Services for a different reason, but would have no qualms in using her again.
Trev..
TLR

Post by TLR »

HIC, several years ago I had the temerity to post on a now defunct forum about a horrendous experience I had had at Immigration.
You shot me down in flames, suggesting I had a chip on my shoulder.
Perhaps now you can understand exactly to that which I was referring, the lack of knowledge, the obstruction and the confusion (if perhaps not the rudeness and down right racism towards other clients I witnessed).
Whilst technically it is relatively simple to negotiate most bureaucratic paperwork here in Cyprus, the reality is a good agent, who knows the ropes and equally importantly the people behind the desk, is essential.
Frankly, even thinking about paperwork here in Cyprus gives me sleepless nights, thank goodness we have found someone who can navigate the Byzantine labyrinths for us. and the cost as you say is minimal.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Thanks for the update Lloyd.

Gwenny services, she will charge you about €150 each (so I was told) and you will still have to attend the Immigration office and pay their charges, if she can fast track this I do not know, I was talking to a local couple about this service, it should be as the list the immigration gave us, no mention of birth certificates on the list, I guess they will not make it easy for anyone.

The application fee is €34.17 each applicant.

Do get the list and from the immigration and appointment time (that's a joke), We go on Friday they told us to be very patient, what a load of cobblers this all is, I wonder how many UK Cypriots will have to go to UK immigration?

I'll post how we get on if I have not jumped under a bus! :(
Jim.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

I have no idea why original documents would be sent to Nicosia as birth and marriage certificates can only be apostolised in the country of issue i.e. UK (through the UK document legalisation service). They must have wanted them for another reason or there was a misunderstanding??

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
lefkes

Post by lefkes »

I asked at the reception area last week and was told " if you have the MEU1 you do not need your marriage certificate apostolised" . whether this turns out to be correct we will see on Tuesday.
Lefkes.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

I think that an apostilled document IS an original and would have to be retained/ sent to Nicosia with your application so I am not sure what the objection is from people regarding original documents. There would be no point getting a document apostillised and them giving them a copy of it. You can order a copy of a birth or marriage certificate online and have it sent straight to the legalising department for the apostille. I do agree that anyone who wants to use an agent should do so and it would most certainly make the process easier. Alternatively, people can post their experiences here to help the next one. For example, your experience Lloyd will now inform people that they need apostolised copies and that they need a copy/original of everything for EACH applicant in the case of a married couple. All of this is useful for those that don't want to/may not be able to afford to pay several hundred euros in agents' fees.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Do not know where this 90 day rule leaves us. We are swallows and usually stay in Cyprus for around 6 weeks before returning and then coming out around 6 weeks later. We do not spend more than 6 months of the year in Cyprus, so are we going to, after the dreaded Brexit, need visas or residency.
lefkes

Post by lefkes »

Nobody knows ?, A bit like the ad. on tv where the poor guy does not know if his door lock conforms to some British standard or other. Hope my interview is not as tough as that.
Lefkes.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

So for us it is a case of wait and see what happens. We have never stayed for 90 days but have stayed for 6 weeks, gone back to UK for a couple of weeks and then returned for another six weeks.
josef k

Post by josef k »

Our new High Commissioner seems silent on the issue. Their work regarding Brexit includes "Information on the rights and status of UK nationals living and travelling in the European Union" according to their website. We could do with less in the way of Hugh Grant films (yes, really) and more in the way of information/clarification.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Just reading other peoples comments about their experiences in immigration while trying to apply for an MEU3A form might suggest that immigration in Paphos have developed an attitude problem. It’s akin to what hoops they used to make people jump through in the old pre EU days when we were queuing up anxiously outside the then location of immigration in the early hours well before 8am to try to ensure a position at the front of the queue. Even so, one never knew if the officer in question would demand another document not previously on the list we had been given. One one occasion my husband was sent out to get an up to date bank statement as the ones he had collected from the bank were 2 days old! I remember being left in situ in front of the immigration offcer pending his immediate return from the bank. If, I had shifted another person would have been admitted and we would have lost our place in the queue for that day! He duly returned and we soon left with our coveted pink
slips!
Just a minor indication of what immigration can get up to eapecially once we return to geing treated as 3rd world immigrants! I’ll choose to get my residence permit before this happens,
Dee
JimX

Post by JimX »

Posted also on the other thread, this is the very latest requirement at the Immigration MUI3.
Attachments
sc (900 x 665).jpg
sc (900 x 665).jpg (108.16 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
Jim.
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

The fact that four offices have opened in the UK , must mean someone thinks things are going to change re visa for coming to Cyprus .
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

It would be interesting to know how much VFS Global will charge for arranging these 90 day visas. Wouldn’t be surprised if they cost more than €20 which is the charge for the MEU3A form.

Dee