New Laptop

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Aargent

New Laptop

Post by Aargent »

My Wife's Laptop is acting up a bit so it looks like a new one is needed fairly soon. Now I know that most of you will say go to SOS, I have bought a lot of stuff from them, including the Laptop, but I would like to hear of good experiences that you have had with other suppliers, just to get a balanced view. Is bringing from UK a good idea ?
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
William Morris

Re: New Laptop

Post by William Morris »

PC world.
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

Bringing from the UK is a definite option with possibly with greater buying options and better prices.

It depends on how much support you will need in the future.

I would always buy from the UK.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Do be aware of what your required laptop will and won't do. I was disappointed with my last in Lenovo laptop, because there is not enough volume from the speakers..
Trev..
merchant_banker

Post by merchant_banker »

I am disappointed with the quality of Acer products.

I hate Apple and its marketing, and the products are grossly overpriced, but they are better quality
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

I'm very happy with Paphos Computers (Kissonerga).
Louise :)
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

I have tried most manufacturer’s Laptops over the years and not really satisfied with any of them until I got a Toshiba Satellite which in my opinion is by far the best, So much so that I have recently replaced it with another and the 1TB hard drive takes some filling.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-Satell ... 1481782031
josef k

Post by josef k »

It depends what you want to do with it. I would look on the internet for factory refurbs. I got a very good PC tower for 85 pounds and it's as good as new. LHCYUK don't charge much to bring it over.
J B

Post by J B »

Aargent wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:12 am My Wife's Laptop is acting up a bit so it looks like a new one is needed fairly soon.
What's wrong with it?

Can 'we' fix it?

How old? Make/model/OS?

What do you need it to do?

:?
J B
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I would suggest looking first in the UK. PC world, Currys, Apple shops. There is far more choice and as there is plenty of competition you can compare prices. If its a laptop, you can bring it back from the UK with you. I have looked at what makes are available in shops here, choice is much more limited and often prices are higher.

In the past I had an Acer was very pleased with it. I currently have an old Toshiba laptop bought here, which is very slow indeed. My computer man replaced its failing hard drive with a new one. It is working better now, but is still very, very slow!

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

We bought a laptop in Cyprus and have had no problems. Price wasn't bad either. We shopped around. There are bargains out there if you look, and you get a warranty you can actually claim on. If you have a warranty repair on a UK bought bit of kit you are pretty much stuffed.

However, if you are going to buy on Amazon, you can access them using our affiliate link: https://www.paphoslife.com/shop :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

I notice that we have conflicting reports on a Toshiba laptop, but it comes down to which model you have got.
Before buying a laptop, unless you have got a lot of money to spend, you need to decide what is important, processing speed, processing capacity, file storage, graphics , etc. You can then go on the PC world website and compare the relative performance across these areas of the numerous makes and models to see what best fits your requirement.
I use my laptop for business and carry out a lot of financial modelling, so speed is more important to me than having a fancy graphics card and I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro which is super quick, which is contrary to the earlier comment on Toshiba........... but as I say it depends on which model and which processor you plump for.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I've been working in I.T since the 80s, and I've used just about all the manufacturers in that time. My opinion as to who is best shifts over time. I used to swear by Toshibas, then I swore at them. Same for Compaq, Dell, Asus etc etc etc.

As Princebytor says, the devil is in the detail. Normally you get what you pay for though. Most laptops can be revitalised with the addition of an SSD.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Hudswell,
Thats what I would like. Much prefer the Apple operating system. I find Microsoft can be a pain, the number of people who can make a living sorting out problems which people seem to have with their Microsoft computers using windows software, must be an indication.
Though I appreciate that in the hands of companies with IT depts and using the more expensive types of computers they can work efficiently!
But users of Apple Computers and IPads seem to be able to manage their computers without needing this extra back up.
Dee
smudger

Post by smudger »

2 years or so ago I bought my granddaughter an iPad2 for her birthday, she was happy with it and it worked fine. A few months later it packed up, took it to SOS, they couldn't sort it and said it has to go back to Apple. I was very apprehensive as I know Apple don't replace anything if they can help it. A day or so later Brian rang me to say they had an new ipad for me, I was astonished. It was a brand new ipad and worked absolutely fine and has done ever since. Good job Apple and SOS.
Joke was, it was literally days before my granddaughters birthday, so a couple of days later and guarantee would have expired!!
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

Have you tried re-setting your old computer to original factory settings and clearing all the old data? It often gives the computor a new lease of life.

If not I would look at Ebuyers website and have it transported by LHCYUK.

Gary
J B

Post by J B »

glang3000 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 10:29 pm Have you tried re-setting your old computer to original factory settings and clearing all the old data? It often gives the computor a new lease of life.
It seems that the OP is reluctant to add to this thread. :?
J B
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Kili01 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:22 pm Hudswell,
Thats what I would like. Much prefer the Apple operating system. I find Microsoft can be a pain, the number of people who can make a living sorting out problems which people seem to have with their Microsoft computers using windows software, must be an indication.
Though I appreciate that in the hands of companies with IT depts and using the more expensive types of computers they can work efficiently!
But users of Apple Computers and IPads seem to be able to manage their computers without needing this extra back up.
Dee
That's not true at all. Apple products have dedicated stores to help users. They even call the staff there Geniuses. I kid you not.
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

J B wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:55 am I like Dominic's suggestion about an SSD as you can now get them at very good prices on Amazon, but who would fit and set it up here if you did not buy it from them ?
I would ask Computer SOS. If you don't ask, you won't know.
Alastair

Aargent

Post by Aargent »

Aargent wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:36 am
J B wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 9:55 am I like Dominic's suggestion about an SSD as you can now get them at very good prices on Amazon, but who would fit and set it up here if you did not buy it from them ?
I would ask Computer SOS. If you don't ask, you won't know.
Something gone odd here, my post is missing but here is a quote from it with a reply attributed to me but I didn't write it. What is happening
Alastair