over 70s driving licence?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Chaddy

over 70s driving licence?

Post by Chaddy »

Of course,those of us entering our twilight years have to renew or driving licence,s when reaching 70/73/76 and so on.I do note that a doctors certificate has to be acquired to prove your eyes are,,,,well,,,ok.Then what? And how near to that dreaded new birthday does your doctors note have to be dated,,,,thanks for any help.

Oh,,the wife says she,s not doing me any more birthday cake because the candles for it are now costing more than the cake itself :shock:
trevnhil

Re: over 70s driving licence?

Post by trevnhil »

Caddy you don't say where you are, but I will assume Cyprus. I will also assume that you have a UK licence and you are going to change it for a Cypriot one. DO make sure of the date when your UK licence expires. Some think it is on their 70th birthday and then find it expired before that.. This causes problems as Cyprus have to contact the UK . From experience just get the doctors certificate as near as is practical to the date you apply for your new licence
Trev..
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

According to me the 73 / 76 are not correct. It depends on the doctor. He/she might give you the go ahead for one year only, or maybe two years and not only for eyes, but general health as well. If you have the signed paper from the doctor you go to Citizen Bureau within one months before the expiry date of your licence. You'll get a form valid for one month, proofing you applied for a new one.
Louise :)
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Again there is lack of info from the OP, but I believe if you are applying for your first Cypriot Licence you have to go to the transport department
Trev..
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Thanks for your replies,i have had a Cypriot licence for the past 9 years,and oh dear I will be 76 next month..
JimX

Post by JimX »

We did this a year ago when we were 70, went for the driving medical, you can get this at the General but we paid for Dr Marla in Chlorakas near Paps, I managed to see the letter board and a normal medical check, then my neighbour and myself took the forms to the Citizens Advice centre, there they took our photos and made up the new licence, I do not now have a UK licence, we changed over seventeen years ago to the Cypriot driving licence, at that time it was advisable to do so, as you need a UK address to have a UK licence, that was then, I have no idea now, as I have never been back to the UK..
Jim.